VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 04:30:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chalk up another one.....  (Read 7733 times)
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:48:43 EDT »

...another broken heart (for me at least)

http://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/tennessee/cade-mays-official-visits-clemson-ohio-state-notre-dame-georgia/

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 12:21:02 EDT »

Gotta thank all those Butch apologists out there. You know who you are. One of the biggest reasons he is still here. Bbbbut...he's a good recruiter.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 12:53:47 EDT »

Gotta thank all those Butch apologists out there. You know who you are. One of the biggest reasons he is still here. Bbbbut...he's a good recruiter.

Unquestionably one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board.  Take that shizzle to Volnation.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 06:22:13 EDT »

Surely he stays when we make the hire.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 07:13:16 EDT »

Surely he stays when we make the hire.

Cade can't wait forever.  He's going to be a January enrollee.  He has to make a decision sooner rather than later. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 05:52:49 EDT »

The trend for earl January enrolles and now December signing days means AD are going to have to change the old practice of firing coaches before the end of the season. The old school thinking that you cannot determine a coach has failed until the season ends is going to mean a lot of good and great players are going to go elsewhere. I know Currie does not want to fire Butch this year because of the buy-outs, but that is shortsighted thinking that will get him fired. Butch has lost the support of most of the fan base except the rabid fans. I do not care if you believe Butch is a great recruiter because if you do not develop players beyond the stars, your team is doomed to mediocrity. If Butch stays, this class ranking will continue to fall because the great player will not want to play for a losing coach that is going to be fired next year. Today's kids for the most part do not care about Tennessee, they want to play for a winning team that has the chance to beat the big name programs. Can anyone honestly claim you believe Butch will every beat Bama or a western division SEC team?
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 07:10:54 EDT »

The trend for earl January enrolles and now December signing days means AD are going to have to change the old practice of firing coaches before the end of the season. The old school thinking that you cannot determine a coach has failed until the season ends is going to mean a lot of good and great players are going to go elsewhere. I know Currie does not want to fire Butch this year because of the buy-outs, but that is shortsighted thinking that will get him fired. Butch has lost the support of most of the fan base except the rabid fans. I do not care if you believe Butch is a great recruiter because if you do not develop players beyond the stars, your team is doomed to mediocrity. If Butch stays, this class ranking will continue to fall because the great player will not want to play for a losing coach that is going to be fired next year. Today's kids for the most part do not care about Tennessee, they want to play for a winning team that has the chance to beat the big name programs. Can anyone honestly claim you believe Butch will every beat Bama or a western division SEC team?

I agree with this view, but obviously Currie does not. Is this a flawed viewpoint, does Currie just not understand, or are things going on that we just don't realize?

Could be something else, I suppose, that I'm missing. Curious as to what it is, though.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 08:40:09 EDT »

IMO Currie does not have the authority to fire Butch yet. He is waiting on the approval of Jim Haslam or the big contribution from the Haslams to pull the trigger. Currie will not do anything to upset the apple cart. If the stadium has a lot of empty seats today, the perception of "The stadium is always full" will be shown to be a lie. To save face, Currie's bluff may be called. When and if the big money donors start putting caveats on their donations, Currie will be forced to make a statement other than his Yada, Yada, Yada one. He understands. His bosses do not.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 08:49:03 EDT »

Well, Vol twitter is on fire today.  If the rumors are true, Haslam may not be running the show anymore, and Dish Network is about to see a huge subscription spike in the state of Tennessee.

Read this whole thread.  I don't know if it's true or not.  But if this is all made up, whoever did so made sure to cover every detail and craft a very plausible scenario.  This isn't your garden variety "Gruden's wife wants to go back to K'ville" kind of stuff.

https://twitter.com/VolTwitt_er/status/926523683828531200

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 09:00:46 EDT »

Well, Vol twitter is on fire today.  If the rumors are true, Haslam may not be running the show anymore, and Dish Network is about to see a huge subscription spike in the state of Tennessee.

Read this whole thread.  I don't know if it's true or not.  But if this is all made up, whoever did so made sure to cover every detail and craft a very plausible scenario.  This isn't your garden variety "Gruden's wife wants to go back to K'ville" kind of stuff.

https://twitter.com/VolTwitt_er/status/926523683828531200

Agree with what he says about stressing the exact timing of the coaching change.  Recruiting ALWAYS sucks the year of a coaching change.  Even Saban recruited poorly his first year at bammer.  To try and keep one or two top athletes at the cost of a rushed coaching change is next level stupid.  It captures the essence of how unrealistic fan pressure, if caved to, can simply ruin a program.

I do understand people being very impatient with Butch, but the important thing is not the timing of his departure, but the quality of his replacement.  Period, dot.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 09:09:56 EDT »

I think you mean "not firing coaches before the end of the season".  And who said that's the established practice?  It certainly worked that way with Dooley and seems likely to with Butch, Fulmer was fired about this time, Kiffin let go from So Cal in October, etc.  Coaches are often let go midseason.  Heck, Majors was let go and then still coached out the string, which is rare these days but I suppose does happen.

My guess is that Butch gets fired right after the Mizzou game, because if it falls in the week of Vandy it counts as an end of season firing and saves the University $2.5 million.

Those of you anxious to see the change and complaining that the big money boosters need to step up, it's really easy.  Put your money where your mouth is.  Start a crowd-funding campaign, and find 1000 fans willing to donate $2500 each.  Think of it this way...if a "big money booster" is worth $100 million, then $2.5 million represents 2.5% of his or her net worth.  The equivalent net worth of a fan donating $2500 would only have to be $100,000. 

Surely their are at least 1000 "Nega-Vols" complaining about the situation that are willing to put out $2500 each that are worth 100K?  That's not really  a huge net worth in this day and age.

Come on you whiners!  Put your money where your mouth is!

Volsboy....looking at you in particular.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 09:16:47 EDT »

I think you mean "not firing coaches before the end of the season".  And who said that's the established practice?  It certainly worked that way with Dooley and seems likely to with Butch, Fulmer was fired about this time, Kiffin let go from So Cal in October, etc.  Coaches are often let go midseason.  Heck, Majors was let go and then still coached out the string, which is rare these days but I suppose does happen.

My guess is that Butch gets fired right after the Mizzou game, because if it falls in the week of Vandy it counts as an end of season firing and saves the University $2.5 million.

Those of you anxious to see the change and complaining that the big money boosters need to step up, it's really easy.  Put your money where your mouth is.  Start a crowd-funding campaign, and find 1000 fans willing to donate $2500 each.  Think of it this way...if a "big money booster" is worth $100 million, then $2.5 million represents 2.5% of his or her net worth.  The equivalent net worth of a fan donating $2500 would only have to be $100,000. 

Surely their are at least 1000 "Nega-Vols" complaining about the situation that are willing to put out $2500 each that are worth 100K?  That's not really  a huge net worth in this day and age.

Come on you whiners!  Put your money where your mouth is!

Volsboy....looking at you in particular.   
All I take from this is you making more excuses for Jones. You act like you don't want him gone. I wouldn't pay a penny toward the next coach's salary because the track record of the last 3 hires. The one they have has been stealing 4 mil a year since he got there, so I don't feel sorry for the Vols admin. They hired him.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 09:39:45 EDT »

All I take from this is you making more excuses for Jones. You act like you don't want him gone. I wouldn't pay a penny toward the next coach's salary because the track record of the last 3 hires. The one they have has been stealing 4 mil a year since he got there, so I don't feel sorry for the Vols admin. They hired him.

LOL!  I didn't mention Jones once, and this is about replacing him.  How you turn that into a defense of him, I have no idea.

But....typical.  You want someone else or the University to step up and buy him out, but won't give a single penny yourself.

Put your money where your mouth is.  I am sure you're worth at least 100K.  Chip in $2500 and find another 999 folks to do the same, and he could be gone tomorrow!   

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 05:03:22 EST »

Oof, Mays officially decommitted. 
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 05:19:15 EST »

Oof, Mays officially decommitted. 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 06:11:30 EST »

Clearly, the powers that be have made a conscious decision to take their time with the firing/hiring process at the expense of this recruiting class.  In the long run, that usually proves to be the correct decision- IF you make the right hire.  So they had BETTER not whiff on this one.  Every decommit ratchets up the pressure even more.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 08:03:58 EST »

Clearly, the powers that be have made a conscious decision to take their time with the firing/hiring process at the expense of this recruiting class.  In the long run, that usually proves to be the correct decision- IF you make the right hire.  So they had BETTER not whiff on this one.  Every decommit ratchets up the pressure even more.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 09:06:26 EST »

OL.....we're loaded at that position with top notch talent!                              
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 12:55:20 EST »

I'll sacrifice a class for a good coach, but this class is sinking like a rock, so nothing really to sacrifice.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 02:56:08 EST »

I'll sacrifice a class for a good coach, but this class is sinking like a rock, so nothing really to sacrifice.

We still have a really good QB and a really good group of DL.  There's plenty yet to salvage, and maybe the right coach can even win back some of the decommits.  But not if he's still working elsewhere in mid-December. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 07:34:04 EST »

He has de-committed...doesn't mean he can't change his mind.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 07:48:39 EST »

He has de-committed...doesn't mean he can't change his mind.

That's true.  But our current lame duck coach isn't changing anyone's mind.  And our next coach can't change anyone's mind until he's hired.  Meanwhile, signing day is about 40 days away.  Tick, tick, tick...

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 07:59:41 EST »

That's true.  But our current lame duck coach isn't changing anyone's mind.  And our next coach can't change anyone's mind until he's hired.  Meanwhile, signing day is about 40 days away.  Tick, tick, tick...

I get it.  It won't be 40 days though.   

IMO....

My pool money is on November 19.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: