VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 04:52:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The list of Gruden believers,  (Read 6249 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2017, 02:38:32 EST »

or trolls (if that's what they really are), on VQ is growing and includes some long time posters now. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, just something that I find interesting.

Today, DukeSilverVol posted on VQ that he is now convinced that Gruden is in. According to him, he got info today from some people who 'should know' that leads him to think that its all settled. When asked for more specifics on what he was told, he replied: "We called.  He was interested.  We came back with an offer.  He said thanks but no thanks. (There were "irreconcilable" (at the time) differences).  We came back again with those desires of his met. He said he'd think about it.  We finally came back after the latest loss, and he said he was in."

The same thread also details some of the "control issues" that were stumbling blocks included academic issues that prevent UT from competing on a level playing field with other SEC schools. Those issues have supposedly been resolved and according to what is being posted our new staff will not be handcuffed in that regard.

I'm a nobody as far as intel goes. I have absolutely zero connections. I cannot validate or refute anything that is stated here. I just thought some on here maybe haven't seen this info and thought that I'd relay it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 02:50:42 EST »

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 02:54:25 EST »

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 03:00:05 EST »

BTW, there's also a competing rumor making the twitter rounds today that, if true, would be the most Tennessee thing ever, and would have fans rioting on Cumberland Avenue.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 03:18:38 EST »

or trolls (if that's what they really are), on VQ is growing and includes some long time posters now. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, just something that I find interesting.

Today, DukeSilverVol posted on VQ that he is now convinced that Gruden is in. According to him, he got info today from some people who 'should know' that leads him to think that its all settled. When asked for more specifics on what he was told, he replied: "We called.  He was interested.  We came back with an offer.  He said thanks but no thanks. (There were "irreconcilable" (at the time) differences).  We came back again with those desires of his met. He said he'd think about it.  We finally came back after the latest loss, and he said he was in."

The same thread also details some of the "control issues" that were stumbling blocks included academic issues that prevent UT from competing on a level playing field with other SEC schools. Those issues have supposedly been resolved and according to what is being posted our new staff will not be handcuffed in that regard.

I'm a nobody as far as intel goes. I have absolutely zero connections. I cannot validate or refute anything that is stated here. I just thought some on here maybe haven't seen this info and thought that I'd relay it.

Go back and find the threads in 2012 and they are almost exactly what's being posted now...Also the academic issues and the control issues where being said in 2012.....All the 'Insiders' ride the fence.....If it does happen they will say....I told you so. If it doesn't happen then it was the AD's fault or the PTBs fault. When you ride that fence playing the 50/50 game you can't be wrong. Also....most of these 'Insiders' have had Butch fired every Monday for a month and when he hasn't been fired they report that things changed. When in fact Butch was never going to be fired on a Monday the last month.

99.9% of all this is bullsheet...Like I've said before there is 100 plus insiders now that know what's about to happen but not one of them knew who the starting QB was going to be before the first game. I guess they are only 'Insiders' when there is a coaching hire.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:20:21 EST by Tnphil » Logged
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 03:32:48 EST »

Tnphil, I do not disagree with you.

I actually think that very few people know what's actually happening. A very few.

We do know, though, with a fair degree of certainty that JG explored the option to some degree in 2012. I'd personally love to see it happen and I'm hoping that it does, because more than anything else it would demonstrate that there was a commitment to restoring this program to the level that I believe it should be. That said, I'm very, very skeptical of the likelihood of it actually happening. As Hubbs said, "I'll have to believe it to see it,"

Aside from of all that, though:  reading the pro- and anti- JG banter on VQ is better than watching SNL!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 03:35:22 EST »

BTW, there's also a competing rumor making the twitter rounds today that, if true, would be the most Tennessee thing ever, and would have fans rioting on Cumberland Avenue.

Yeah the pro-JG and anti-JG factions are completely at war. Rumors are everywhere from JG to the current coach at JMU.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 04:31:29 EST »

Tnphil, I do not disagree with you.

I actually think that very few people know what's actually happening. A very few.

We do know, though, with a fair degree of certainty that JG explored the option to some degree in 2012. I'd personally love to see it happen and I'm hoping that it does, because more than anything else it would demonstrate that there was a commitment to restoring this program to the level that I believe it should be. That said, I'm very, very skeptical of the likelihood of it actually happening. As Hubbs said, "I'll have to believe it to see it,"

Aside from of all that, though:  reading the pro- and anti- JG banter on VQ is better than watching SNL!

I agree...It's comedy gold.

I'd love to see Gruden just for the name.....But if I'd was picking I'd pick 3-4 before I pick JG.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:01:35 EST by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:20:27 EST »

99.9% of all this is bullsheet...Like I've said before there is 100 plus insiders now that know what's about to happen but not one of them knew who the starting QB was going to be before the first game. I guess they are only 'Insiders' when there is a coaching hire.

yup

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 10:12:38 EST »

I think he's been contacted, and legitimately mulled a hefty offer. Does that mean he comes? No.

Does that mean he should be at the top of the list? No.

If he does come will he improve the team? Probably.

Would he stay more than three years? Doubtful.

If he won big would I care? Nope.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 12:31:01 EST »

Speaking of VQ
The "Currie is a failure" crowd is growing

He hasn't said anything
He hasn't fired Butch (at least publically)
He hasn't hired Gruden (or any other flavor of the week)
He hasn't contacted Gruden (or the flavor of the week)
He hasn't kissed the particular posters ass
He hasn't (pick anything else to bitch at in this living in the immediate time space mentality)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
10EC
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 01:18:04 EST »

Here is the part I do not understand.  I am square in the "it ain't gonna be Gruden camp"

However.... he is supposed to be this big "Friend of UT" guy....

If he is such a "friend" why doesn't he just squelch the rumors?  Ego?

I've had better friends....
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 01:42:53 EST »

If he won big would I care? Nope.

I guess I'm misreading this.  You'd love it if anyone were to come in and win big, no?

Speaking of VQ
The "Currie is a failure" crowd is growing

He hasn't said anything
He hasn't fired Butch (at least publically)
He hasn't hired Gruden (or any other flavor of the week)
He hasn't contacted Gruden (or the flavor of the week)
He hasn't kissed the particular posters ass
He hasn't (pick anything else to bitch at in this living in the immediate time space mentality)

I've said from the beginning of all of this turmoil that a simple "we will evaluate at the end of the season" comment would have gone a long way.  It would not have satisfied everyone (there's no doing that), but I think it would have been enough to at least ease the uncertainty for a number of Vol fans.

I sincerely hope that Currie (or whomoever is running the show) has this completely under control.  If not, and another MAC level coach is hired, then the meltdown could be disturbing and the program could be in trouble for years to come.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 01:53:50 EST »

I guess I'm misreading this.  You'd love it if anyone were to come in and win big, no?

I've said from the beginning of all of this turmoil that a simple "we will evaluate at the end of the season" comment would have gone a long way.  It would not have satisfied everyone (there's no doing that), but I think it would have been enough to at least ease the uncertainty for a number of Vol fans.

I sincerely hope that Currie (or whomoever is running the show) has this completely under control.  If not, and another MAC level coach is hired, then the meltdown could be disturbing and the program could be in trouble for years to come.
The baseball search should have clued everyone in on how Currie operates
He keeps his mouth shut, keeps his cards out of view and announces the decision, to the complete surprise of everyone involved.

If, in fact (I think he has), made a decision to change coaches then ...
Butch knows (I take it from his demeanor the last few weeks that he does) he is to be fired at (pick a time or situation)
Currie has initiated a search through 3rd parties
If and when Butch is formally not retained will enter into formal negotiations with his chosen candidate and when agreement is reach we will also know.
I can almost guarantee that he will not use the doner fleet of aircraft and if he does there will be false flags also employed.
Currie is not Hart and most certainly not Hamilton
If/when we make a change the replacement will be (while debatable within our incestuous fan base) an upgrade

I actually don't believe he owes us a public statement though personally think he should have said something

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 02:23:31 EST »

The baseball search should have clued everyone in on how Currie operates
He keeps his mouth shut, keeps his cards out of view and announces the decision, to the complete surprise of everyone involved.

If, in fact (I think he has), made a decision to change coaches then ...
Butch knows (I take it from his demeanor the last few weeks that he does) he is to be fired at (pick a time or situation)
Currie has initiated a search through 3rd parties
If and when Butch is formally not retained will enter into formal negotiations with his chosen candidate and when agreement is reach we will also know.
I can almost guarantee that he will not use the doner fleet of aircraft and if he does there will be false flags also employed.
Currie is not Hart and most certainly not Hamilton
If/when we make a change the replacement will be (while debatable within our incestuous fan base) an upgrade

I actually don't believe he owes us a public statement though personally think he should have said something

Agree that it's silly to blame Currie for anything at this point.  Who his next hire is should form the basis of judgment, not whether he fired Jones in October (or even September) vs. November.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 03:00:34 EST »

It's easy to poke fun at what happened in 2012 but as Jeff said above it's not hard to figure out there was some degree of talks with Gruden that happened and are happening again now.  It's also pretty easy to see that there are factors now that make it even more believable and possible.  I think we're as close now as we'll ever get to getting him.  Maybe it still doesn't happen but based on what I've read I do think the TN power players are doing things differently this time.

And for you guys who say 99% of all of it is bullcrap... True a lot of it is but believe it or not there are posters on other sites that have legitimate connections.  They wouldn't be as respected as they are on those sites (which obviously have far more members than vttw) if they didn't bring valid info in the past.  Sure they get it wrong sometimes, but stuff happens and circumstances change.  To just dismiss virtually all of it is going too far, imo.  

Count me in as believing Gruden happens this time.  I think the stars align and it finally happens.  Of course something could change and everything could fall through.  But I don't think they would've gone through the trouble of putting a package together for him if they hadn't guaged his interest and found it somewhat worthwhile to pursue.  You've got people like Hubbs discussing it, so Idk who else could validate that they're actually in talks with Gruden.  The big question is, does Gruden want to coach CFB.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:26:49 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 03:25:18 EST »

It's easy to poke fun at what happened in 2012 but as Jeff said above it's not hard to figure out there was some degree of talks with Gruden that happened and are happening again now.  It's also pretty easy to see that there are factors now that make it even more believable and possible.  I think we're as close now as we'll ever get to getting him.  Maybe it still doesn't happen but based on what I've read I do think the TN power players are doing things differently this time.

And for you guys who say 99% of all of it is bullcrap... True a lot of it is but believe it or not there are posters on other sites that have legitimate connections.  They wouldn't be as respected as they are on those sites (which obviously have far more members than vttw) if they didn't bring valid info in the past.  Sure they get it wrong sometimes, but stuff happens and circumstances change.  To just dismiss virtually all of it is going too far, imo. 

Count me in as believing Gruden happens this time.  I think the stars align and it finally happens.  Of course something could change and everything could fall through.  But I don't think they would've gone through the trouble of putting a package together for him if they hadn't gushed his interest and found it somewhat worthwhile to pursue.  You've got people like Hubbs discussing it, so Idk who else could validate that they're actually in talks with Gruden.  The big question is, does Gruden want to coach CFB.
If JG wants to coach again and in college the Hill is a logical place, given his wife's ties here.  IF he desires to coach here I believe the required $$ will be "dished" out
A few points:
Does he really want to coach again?
Does he really want to put the time and effort recruit effectively?
Is he willing to work within the confines of college practice limitations?
He needs a damn good DC as he had at TB.
QB play would improve, significantly IMO.
Would be interested in the staff he could/afford to assemble
Would be a splash hire but not sure how the total increase in affectivity would be demonstrated (see MI)
I think there are proven winners within the college ranks that would be a better hire than JG but I can see the allure
Your mileage may vary

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 03:30:51 EST »

If JG wants to coach again and in college the Hill is a logical place, given his wife's ties here.  IF he desires to coach here I believe the required $$ will be "dished" out
A few points:
Does he really want to coach again?
Does he really want to put the time and effort recruit effectively?
Is he willing to work within the confines of college practice limitations?
He needs a damn good DC as he had at TB.
QB play would improve, significantly IMO.
Would be interested in the staff he could/afford to assemble
Would be a splash hire but not sure how the total increase in affectivity would be demonstrated (see MI)
I think there are proven winners within the college ranks that would be a better hire than JG but I can see the allure
Your mileage may vary

I want to believe the answer is yes to your first 3, but I'm sure only very few really know and I guess we'll get our answer if he says "yes" to an offer.  He has lots of ties in the coaching community, has a pretty impressive coaching tree himself, so I would love to see the staff he assembles.  Splash hire is right and I'm more than willing to watch TN actually make a splash hire for once over getting an up and comer.  There's risks either way, but for once I'd like to see us make a splash.   
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 03:35:51 EST »

And another thing to add, to me the announcement last week for the $300 million in stadium renovations is another indicator that change is afoot.  Maybe I just want to believe but to me, you don't roll that out if you're planning on hiring someone like Mike Bobo or Matt Campbell.  JMO
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 03:40:11 EST »

Another nugget...

From VQ

LWSVOL, "boosters are are more aligned with efforts than they were in 2012. Their were differences on approach to fixing football then and they are together on the fixes now."

This is encouraging to me even if we don't get Gruden.  I'm confident we'll make a good hire either way this time. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:42:00 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 03:55:59 EST »

Another nugget...

From VQ

LWSVOL, "boosters are are more aligned with efforts than they were in 2012. Their were differences on approach to fixing football then and they are together on the fixes now."

This is encouraging to me even if we don't get Gruden.  I'm confident we'll make a good hire either way this time. 
If LWS posted it, I tend to believe the post 

In the past he was plugged in, perhaps not so much today

I know him from the Gridscape days

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 06:05:55 EST »

Now for the bad part of hiring a new coach...he better have a thick skin and nerves of steel. How long does the new coach get to win the SECe and to beat Bama? Do the fans even think beating Bama will be a possibility any more? But is it unreasonable to expect success from a coach making millions of dollars. What other business is mediocrity rewarded so well? A coach at Tennessee should be expected to compete for an SECe title every year and the SEC title consistently. Saban has ruined the coaching ranks in the SEC.  I don't get why a lot of fans don't expect a coach to be successful his first year. Richt seems to be doing okay. Others..not so much. Hell, horseface won the SECe his first two years.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 06:19:08 EST »

Now for the bad part of hiring a new coach...he better have a thick skin and nerves of steel. How long does the new coach get to win the SECe and to beat Bama? Do the fans even think beating Bama will be a possibility any more? But is it unreasonable to expect success from a coach making millions of dollars. What other business is mediocrity rewarded so well? A coach at Tennessee should be expected to compete for an SECe title every year and the SEC title consistently. Saban has ruined the coaching ranks in the SEC.  I don't get why a lot of fans don't expect a coach to be successful his first year. Richt seems to be doing okay. Others..not so much. Hell, horseface won the SECe his first two years.

Also, Kirby Smart looks ready to take on Bama in year 2.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 08:59:57 EST »

JAV on 247 (seems to be well respected on that board):

Originally Posted by :
Nothing is a done deal. However, I do know that all of the principles that were fractured in the AD search are currently working together on Gruden. That is a fact. Doesn't mean that he's going to be the next HC but the odds are going up every day. Much higher probability this time around than last. I'll still believe it when I see it but to deny that there isn't a huge concerted effort to bring him here is either agenda driven or ignorant of what is going on.

Mr Jim has not been the driver of Gruden to UT. Mr Anderson has been the driving force. Currie has the confidence of those guys and key BOT members. Everyone is on the same page, as far as I know, to get the best HC possible. That has been determined to be Jon Gruden at this point.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:01:54 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: