VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 04:09:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The shot at Cade in Butch's press conference today  (Read 4387 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2017, 03:42:53 EST »

was cowardly and not a good move for the program, imo.

This is one of the reasons why he should not have remained in the position as head coach. As of now, he is the voice of our football program. What he says and does still reflects on UT because he's still our HC. Taking a jab at a recruit is immature and inexcusable. It's a tactic that burns bridges when at least some people hope that there is still a chance that the kid could recommit if the right moves are made.

As a lame duck coach, Mays' decision doesn't directly affect Butch if he really knows that he is done here. It directly affects the football program, though.

Keeping a head coach who has no vested interest in the future of the program he's coaching isn't the most intelligent decision, imo. Once the decision is made (assuming it has been made), it just makes sense to me to cut ties. The fact that Butch is so insecure (and seldom if ever takes responsibility for anything that doesn't work out) only magnifies the risk in retaining him even though he knows that he is finished.

Could the remark have been innocent and not a jab? Anything is possible, but nobody that I've talked to today about this today believe that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 03:46:59 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:56:33 EST »

What was said? I didn't see it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:57:18 EST »

This is a man who actually thought "champions of life", "five star hearts", "leadership reps", etc. would go over well.  He really is that tone deaf in his dealings with the media.  So I'm definitely allowing for the possibility that it was innocent and not a jab.  But just because I think it's possible doesn't mean I believe it.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 04:12:24 EST »

Rob Lewis post on VQ covering the press conference:

"Butch asked a vague recruiting question on keeping long term commitments without Mays' name being mentioned.

Says that recruiting is always a challenge...as a recruit you need to look at the near future, not the immediate, ask where the program is going.

Cites Trey Smith as someone who wanted the challenge of getting Tennessee football back to a high level. (subtle shade?)"
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 04:31:33 EST »

He's right about Trey Smith.....I was with him and his family with coaches Saban, Meyer, Dabo visiting. He could have gone anywhere in the country. I will say that Butch did one hell of a job recruiting him.....and went back 4-5 years ago.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 04:43:51 EST »

This is a man who actually thought "champions of life", "five star hearts", "leadership reps", etc. would go over well.  He really is that tone deaf in his dealings with the media.  So I'm definitely allowing for the possibility that it was innocent and not a jab.  But just because I think it's possible doesn't mean I believe it.

It's possible, but I don't believe it for one second.

He's right about Trey Smith.....I was with him and his family with coaches Saban, Meyer, Dabo visiting. He could have gone anywhere in the country. I will say that Butch did one hell of a job recruiting him.....and went back 4-5 years ago.

He's definitely right about Trey. I would have agreed even before reading your post, but even moreso now. Trey Smith has my respect. He's a beast on the line. I love watching him play.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 02:06:49 EST »

Rob Lewis post on VQ covering the press conference:

"Butch asked a vague recruiting question on keeping long term commitments without Mays' name being mentioned.

Says that recruiting is always a challenge...as a recruit you need to look at the near future, not the immediate, ask where the program is going.

Cites Trey Smith as someone who wanted the challenge of getting Tennessee football back to a high level. (subtle shade?)"

Is this all that was said?  This is what everyone's so worked up about?  I hadn't heard or seen anything about it until this morning and after hearing folks talk about it this morning I actually expected worse.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 04:45:58 EST »

Vinnie, that is it. 

Am I and everyone else who takes offense at this overreacting?  Possibly.  At this point a lot of folks, including myself, are so over Butch that maybe we over analyze where he is concerned.  I'll own that.  It is a possibility.

That said, I think the first part of his response was a really good answer.  He addressed the issue.  The last sentence, however, seems to me to be petty and unnecessary.  The worst part is that he is the voice of the program - his words carry more weight than the average fan who makes the same statement.

Again, maybe I'm just not very understanding where he is concerned.

Just my 2 pennies.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 04:46:12 EST »

Interesting that Butch is 0-3 on recruits who play on the same high school team as his son does in the last two years.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 06:19:45 EST »

Vinnie, that is it. 

Am I and everyone else who takes offense at this overreacting?  Possibly.  At this point a lot of folks, including myself, are so over Butch that maybe we over analyze where he is concerned.  I'll own that.  It is a possibility.

That said, I think the first part of his response was a really good answer.  He addressed the issue.  The last sentence, however, seems to me to be petty and unnecessary.  The worst part is that he is the voice of the program - his words carry more weight than the average fan who makes the same statement.

Again, maybe I'm just not very understanding where he is concerned.

Just my 2 pennies.

Nah, I don't think it's necessarily an over reaction on your part.  But the way folks were talking about it on Swain's show I thought it was going to be something along the lines of "Champions of Life" and "Leadership Reps".  What he said was still unnecessary and pretty laughable when you consider this staff pretty much stopped recruiting after the Georgia game (which supports the stories I've read that the decision that Butch would not be our coach next year came after the UGA blowout).  Cade being a local kid hears all the chatter and has to know how toxic things are in the program right now.  I just hope we get this hire right and quickly bring Cade back into the fold!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 06:38:18 EST »

Amen to bringing him back into the fold.  I hope that happens. He and Smith are important for rebuilding, imo.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 04:19:22 EST »

Vinnie, that is it. 

Am I and everyone else who takes offense at this overreacting? 

Yes   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 04:28:09 EST »

Yes   

I'm shocked!  Shocked, I say!

Well, maybe not.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 04:31:16 EST »

I'm shocked!  Shocked, I say!

Well, maybe not.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 04:37:43 EST »

I readily admit, Bandit, that at this point I'm totally over Butch and his methods.  I therefore likely see most of his actions in a negative light.  Guilty!

It wasn't always this way.  I have a close friend who has been telling me for at least two years that Butch is a MAC level coach, at best.  It just took me longer than some to realize this.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 05:04:08 EST »

I readily admit, Bandit, that at this point I'm totally over Butch and his methods.  I therefore likely see most of his actions in a negative light.  Guilty!

It wasn't always this way.  I have a close friend who has been telling me for at least two years that Butch is a MAC level coach, at best.  It just took me longer than some to realize this.

Winning cures everything, and he hasn't won as much as he should have.  Bottom line.

My point about all the recruiting is that the next coach won't have as steep a slope to climb. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: