VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 09:08:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should players (college) be paid??? Interesting interview....  (Read 1896 times)
VOLcrazi
Special Teamer

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:06 EDT »

on the radio this morning with the compliance director at UT.  I was beginning to think....What the heck?  Pay them a little.  The interview brought up issues that would result if players were paid.  Some I never even began to consider.  One that stuck-out to me was what happens when the players feel they deserve more money...  Do they form a union and strike until they get more money????  It would definitely suck to be sitting home in September and all of college football is on strike.  Not saying it would ever happen....but its not delusional to think that it may.   Many other issues were brought-up that has changed my thoughts on the subject.
101stDad
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 07:14:08 EDT »

A couple of thoughts:

While football at the "Big 6" schools could probably pay some kind of stipend, mid majors could not.  And if you pay football players, you would have to pay all athletes, no matter what sport - both male and female. 

There's just not enough money to do it.  Ticket prices and donation levels and the cost to attend games is already out of reach of many would be fans.  Most fan bases just can't afford to put out any more money. 

I am still of the opinion that a college education (via scholarship) and the head start it gives young people in life is payment enough.  I know how much it has helped me.   
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 07:47:53 EDT »

DITTO  101st
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 10:59:49 EDT »

I am still of the opinion that a college education (via scholarship) and the head start it gives young people in life is payment enough. 

Word.  That, reasonably nice accommodations, meals, etc... these kids should thank their lucky stars as it is to be good enough to be on scholarship.  Paying them is absolutely absurd, imo.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:04:26 EDT »

Totally agree with the other opinions!  They already get paid...they get a free education while the rest of the student population goes into great debt to pay for college.  They also get a nice dorm, meals, appeal, etc. 

Also agree with 101 about the mid majors.  Not every college could afford to pay their players. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: