VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 02:13:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article from CBS SPORTS  (Read 4193 times)
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:26:52 EDT »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/22091232/jones-selling-optimism-at-tennessee-but-success-still-a-long-way-off

Go Big Orange.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 09:53:48 EDT »

with the 2008 season being identified as the lone factor in Fulmer's firing. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:41:31 EDT »

There are 2 types of people who take the stance that Barnhart takes: the Fulmer apologists and the uninformed.

I love Fulmer for what he meant to Tennessee football. I always will. And if I thought he could win games like he did in the '90s or even the early '00s I would take him back in a heartbeat. But this notion that Tennessee suddenly decided after one losing season that they needed to shake things up and so they ousted the guy who had "spent his entire life building Tennessee football" is foolish. (I really wouldn't expect anything else from Barnhart, though.) Anyone who knows anything about UT football can easily trace the decline back  to the early '00s. And it IS true that Fulmer dedicated his life to UT, but it isn't as though he was unceremoniously tossed out with no warning. The writing had been on the wall for several seasons. He had a chance to ride off to a fond farewell when he won the SEC East in 2007. Instead, he said that he wanted to coach 4-5 more years and retire to a Montana trout stream. I remember thinking at the time that there was no way he would last another 4-5 years even though UT had just come off an SECCG appearance.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:02:23 EDT »

The article is basically a restatement of what has already been said and what we all know: This season is probably going to suck.

I'm going to be really pissed if the Vol bandwagoneers start railing against Butch when this season plays out exactly like we know it will. It has practically no chance of playing out otherwise. The talent level is low and thin. To go into our schedule looking for some kind of "improvement"  in order to judge Butch is short-sighted and self-defeating.

And yet, that's exactly the reaction I expect from many of our "fans".

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 11:08:05 EDT »

I don't think they'll let you down. I know one guy who keeps saying that if UT wins less than 8 games it will be a disaster, because it will mean UT hired the wrong guy -- there are other guys out there who could've won 8 games. (Of course he thinks UT hired the wrong guy anyway, because he was one of the many who got sucked into Grudenmania and was unwilling to accept anyone else.) He keeps saying Hart screwed the pooch by letting Charlie Strong get away. I still have yet to hear one compelling reason why Strong would have been a better choice than Butch, recruiting skills not withstanding. But I guess perception is everything.
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:16:20 EDT »

The article is basically a restatement of what has already been said and what we all know: This season is probably going to suck.

I'm going to be really pissed if the Vol bandwagoneers start railing against Butch when this season plays out exactly like we know it will. It has practically no chance of playing out otherwise. The talent level is low and thin. To go into our schedule looking for some kind of "improvement"  in order to judge Butch is short-sighted and self-defeating.

Yeah. I've seen predictions from some on this board for 8 or 9 wins. How we're going to do that with inexperience at QB, our top 3 WRs (Hunter, Patterson and Rogers) and our best TE (Rivera) gone, RBs that are serviceable but not spectacular and a defense that was absolutely horrible last year (and yeah I know a lot of it was coaching and scheme and it should be better, but a top-level D?) is beyond me. I think if he wins 7 it would be a good accomplishment and a positive stepping stone for the future.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 02:43:18 EDT »

yep...................I will be very happy with 6 wins(MORE WOULD CERTAINLY MAKE ME REALLLLY HAPPY), but with alot of luck 7 wins would be a good season this year.

Is any publicity good publicity??

Go Big Orange.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 04:44:19 EDT »

If he can just get this group not to quit on him he will be doing good. Dooley screwed us in recruiting, just like the previous 2 coaches so we are limited in terms of talent. Truth is it is a wonder we have as much talent as we do considering that. If Dools can get what he got here then Butch should be able to do a major upgrade in talent. Kids just need to see potential in what he is doing and they will come.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: