VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 04:55:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone got a "Health Savings Account" as a health plan?  (Read 2948 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2013, 03:01:13 EST »

The company I work for is offering them for the first time starting January 1st.  The lower premium is obviously attractive as are the tax advantages, but it still seems like somewhat of a roll of the dice with the higher deductible.

I was just hoping to find someone who has it or has had it in the past.  If so, thoughts?  Did it turn out to be a good thing?  If not, how come?  I'm the type who does not go to the doctor very often (thankfully), but of course you never know.  And the wife and I could start trying again for a 2nd child so that could be on the horizon.

Thanks in advance!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:34:27 EST »

Yeah, I have it, and will have it next year.

It doesn't cost as much, and we get a company match of $400 per year to whatever we put in. I did fine, but it does have a higher deductible per family. You know what insurance is about.

It worked for us well this year.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 01:46:34 EST »

$2600 decrease in premiums accounts for most of the deductible, the company puts $750 in the HSA which, coupled with the premium reduction, makes up the deductible plus some and as you mentioned the tax advantages of contributing pre-tax to the HSA makes more sense for us plus once you meet the deductible it's 90/10 coverage. We also have a FSA for dental and vision. It's never going to be as good as it was 10 yrs ago thanks to O'care.   
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:30:50 EST »

My employer will put in $1200, annually.. which must be pretty good from what I've read.

The fact that we can also invest tge money after our HSA reaches $2000 seems pretty cool too.

If I do this I just have to hope nothing big happens until I have my HSA built up to be able to cover the deductible.
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 04:19:02 EST »

My employer will put in $1200, annually.. which must be pretty good from what I've read.

The fact that we can also invest tge money after our HSA reaches $2000 seems pretty cool too.

If I do this I just have to hope nothing big happens until I have my HSA built up to be able to cover the deductible.

My company also gives us $1200 in our HSA. And we give additional amounts per paycheck.  And it rolls over.  I like it and with three kids, we often dip into it.  Yes, the deductibles are higher.  But the $1200 is offsets those and we still have a max payout. 

I saw some of the other comments on WHAB and we have not had any issues with IRS or anything else by using the HSA.  We will continue to use it.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 04:22:37 EST »

My company also gives us $1200 in our HSA. And we give additional amounts per paycheck.  And it rolls over.  I like it and with three kids, we often dip into it.  Yes, the deductibles are higher.  But the $1200 is offsets those and we still have a max payout. 

Sounds pretty similar to what I'm being offered.  Once I built enough in the account to cover the deductible, it sounds like it would be great.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 05:04:17 EST »

Sounds pretty similar to what I'm being offered.  Once I built enough in the account to cover the deductible, it sounds like it would be great.

It was pretty much a wash for us with the knowns calculated, but with the traditional plan there was no potential for additional savings while with the HSA plan there are several that's basically what determined it for me.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 07:58:00 EST »

yes that is very good

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: