VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 08:27:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We have a big TSSAA tourney night ahead of us  (Read 1243 times)
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2020, 08:42:11 EST »

Looks to be a nice slate of games....  McMinn vs Dobbins; Murhville vs Bradley Central; Knox Halls vs Central; Oak Ridge vs Rhea Co....lots of others.  There is nothing like the early rounds of the playoffs - nothing like playing in them also...so much fun.  My old school MUS will be traveling to Father Ryan tonite.  MUS is kinda down this year, so it could be a tough game.  I guess all the Memphis city schools did not field teams?  That sux.  I will be watching on NFHS Network, or whatever the hayull that is called.     

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 09:27:26 EST »

MUS...We played them in the playoffs a few times when I was coaching....We won the state championship in 1979...beat Maryville at Maryville 13-10. The next year we had a team almost as talented as the one the year before when we won it all. We had MUS in the quarter-finals in 1980....On Friday of the game there was some sort of huge rain/lightening storm and the game was moved to Sat. night....On Sat the weather was the same and the game was moved to Monday....On that Monday it was still raining hard but no lightening so the TSSAA told us to play....Talk about a sloppy field...we had team speed out the wazoo but the muddy/sloppy field took that away...We lost something like 28-24.

The best game that was to be played in this area tonight between Covington and Milan was cancelled due to Covington having positive Covid cases....In the Playoffs if that happens then the team with the Covid has to forfeit.....So Milan takes the win. Dang shame to play all season and then have that to happen and your season it over.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 11:10:55 EST »

MUS...We played them in the playoffs a few times when I was coaching....We won the state championship in 1979...beat Maryville at Maryville 13-10. The next year we had a team almost as talented as the one the year before when we won it all. We had MUS in the quarter-finals in 1980....On Friday of the game there was some sort of huge rain/lightening storm and the game was moved to Sat. night....On Sat the weather was the same and the game was moved to Monday....On that Monday it was still raining hard but no lightening so the TSSAA told us to play....Talk about a sloppy field...we had team speed out the wazoo but the muddy/sloppy field took that away...We lost something like 28-24.

The best game that was to be played in this area tonight between Covington and Milan was cancelled due to Covington having positive Covid cases....In the Playoffs if that happens then the team with the Covid has to forfeit.....So Milan takes the win. Dang shame to play all season and then have that to happen and your season it over.

Did you coach for Humboldt?

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 11:12:51 EST »

I actually popped for the NFHS Network subscription for the month a little while ago on the Roku app.

Going to start out watching South Doyle at David Crockett. I'll also check out McMinn  County at DB and Bradley Central at Maryville before the night is done. 

Knoxville Central should roll Halls this time around, as should Knoxville West over Walker Valley, IMO. Oak Ridge/Rhea County has the potential to be a solid game, as well.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 12:19:29 EST »

Did you coach for Humboldt?

Yes
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 06:11:08 EST »

Yes

You'll have to forgive me, because I kinda remember now we have talked about this before and I have almost completely forgot all about it.    My memory is going, good gracious.  That one year you are talking about, 1980, is when I was a Freshman and played for the frosh team.  That year we had probably the best team in our history, before the Div II era and all the money that has been regrettably been thrown into Div II schools.  We had our first undefeated regular season that year and that included a win over then arch rival Germantown, who went on to the finals in AAA, losing to Oak Ridge (of course) 13-0.  I remember (at least I think I do  ) going to every game of that winning streak.  I could swear that we played y'all on a Friday night in good weather, but I dunno.  I maybe forgetting something.  However, we won that game against you 17-7.  I kinda remember it was a tough fought game.  We went on to win the second round against Treadwell in a heart stopper, 20-19.  We were 11-0 at that point and I had been at every game.  However, the next weekend was opening of duck season, so I was hunting with my Dad and brother.  I missed the pounding we got from Brentwood Academy in the semis.  They wiped the field with us, 35-7.  We went to the quarters when I was a Jr and started on the defense.  My Sr year we beat Brentwood Academy in the semis 6-0.  I think we broke a 43 some odd winning streak of theirs.  We lost the next week to Austin East in a game where it literally rained 2-3 inches during the contest and our starting QB was playing with a cast on!  It just wasn't meant to be.  We went down 10-7.  FUnny, it was one of my better games, but it was such a bitter, bitter loss.  It's hard to get over those.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 08:56:23 EST »

You mention Oak Ridge, they were still a power when I attended HS in the mid-80s. And a good friend of mine in my class at Doyle (now South Doyle) was Chick Graning junior, whose father coached at Oak Ridge and was a former All American at Georgia Tech and played for the Houston Oilers.

What I didnt know at the time, but learned after I moved to Alabama is that Chip Graning senior got his jaw shattered on a dirty play by a dirty bama player in (I think) 1962, an infamous game was probably the biggest single factor in Geirgia Tech leaving the SEC. It was in Tuscaloosa and the refs saw it but did nothing.

So when I found that out it was really interesting to see how bama had no class at all back then under bear. Funny thing, I was not surprised at all!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 09:31:21 EST »

You mention Oak Ridge, they were still a power when I attended HS in the mid-80s. And a good friend of mine in my class at Doyle (now South Doyle) was Chick Graning junior, whose father coached at Oak Ridge and was a former All American at Georgia Tech and played for the Houston Oilers.

What I didnt know at the time, but learned after I moved to Alabama is that Chip Graning senior got his jaw shattered on a dirty play by a dirty bama player in (I think) 1962, an infamous game was probably the biggest single factor in Geirgia Tech leaving the SEC. It was in Tuscaloosa and the refs saw it but did nothing.

So when I found that out it was really interesting to see how bama had no class at all back then under bear. Funny thing, I was not surprised at all!

I have mentioned this before, but my HS coach, Jake Rudolph, played for Tech in the early 50's and had the big tackle against Bobby Marlow at the goal line late in the game that basically beat Bama and sent Tech on to the Sugar Bowl and another MNC.  He had a picture of that tackle in his nicotine stained, well air conditioned office.  I had heard Tech's leaving the SEC involved Bama and a dirty play, but I never knew the specifics - interesting.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: