VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 04:36:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I've heard from a couple different places now...  (Read 5794 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2012, 05:43:29 EST »

...that our new coach could be announced tomorrow (or today, if you're reading this on Sunday morning).  I don't personally believe it, but the rumor is out there.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 06:37:25 EST »

Larry Fedora

That's my guess.

UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:19:58 EST »

If its Sunday, then it would have to be Gruden, because all the other coaches would have to be getting their teams ready for games. I've heard from others that the Gruden negotions have come upon a spoiler, and it's not money or the years in the contract, they seemed to have agreed to that.
 The stickler is "Control", contol over things that he feels he needs to win here. Gruden is a contol freak, as are other successful coaches. This though would be control to the extent that not even Saban has. This I hear is a significant issue.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:22:54 EST by UTnbama » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 02:21:04 EST »

If its Sunday, then it would have to be Gruden, because all the other coaches would have to be getting their teams ready for games. I've heard from others that the Gruden negotions have come upon a spoiler, and it's not money or the years in the contract, they seemed to have agreed to that.
 The stickler is "Control", contol over things that he feels he needs to win here. Gruden is a contol freak, as are other successful coaches. This though would be control to the extent that not even Saban has. This I hear is a significant issue.

It seems outlandish, but one of the guys who has stuck by the Gruden story says the control thing is being fed to tge media so it can appear as though Hart saves the day by getting him.  Time will tell who's full of it.   
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 03:36:26 EST »

Can someone explain what "control" is? Hart has already said the Head Coach will get to chose his assistants.  What other control is there in college? I think this is a red herring to say UT will not concede unreasonable demands to the agent.  You have to have some bargaining power in a negotiation.
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 04:48:03 EST »

While Gruden is by far my No. 1 choice, I think the UT fans who say Hart should be fired if he rejects Gruden rather than give him nearly autonomous control of the program (assuming these reports are true) are not thinking straight. Giving one person that much control is just asking for major NCAA trouble down the road. Would it be worth it for the perceived success Gruden would bring? Well, just ask Penn State if their success over the past 15 years or so was worth it. I'm not saying a similar situation would occur under Gruden; only that there are checks and balances provided by the AD and a strong compliance department for a reason.
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 05:22:53 EST »

While Gruden is by far my No. 1 choice, I think the UT fans who say Hart should be fired if he rejects Gruden rather than give him nearly autonomous control of the program (assuming these reports are true) are not thinking straight. Giving one person that much control is just asking for major NCAA trouble down the road. Would it be worth it for the perceived success Gruden would bring? Well, just ask Penn State if their success over the past 15 years or so was worth it. I'm not saying a similar situation would occur under Gruden; only that there are checks and balances provided by the AD and a strong compliance department for a reason.

I agree Creek, I think we give him complete control over most areas as long as that contol is ethical and "prudent".
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:05:45 EST »

Well, clearly it's not happening today.  If it is Gruden, it would make sense to do it this Friday, the day before the SECCG.  Because you know he'd get a lot of play during that national telecast. 

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 11:34:34 EST »

I don't think Fedora is even in the mix.

I still think Gruden and will until the hire is made or until more concrete info comes out.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 04:37:25 EST »

It seems outlandish, but one of the guys who has stuck by the Gruden story says the control thing is being fed to tge media so it can appear as though Hart saves the day by getting him.  Time will tell who's full of it.   

This sounds like someone who has no clue whatsoever just making shizzle up, IMO.  I heard a caller on whatever show the animal had on tonight ("the Nation"???) as I drove home, who said all the talk is misinformation because Gruden is "too focused on Monday Night Football because that's the kind of guy he is and doesn't want anything distracting from it."    

There are also various theories on what level of control Hart actually exercises.  There are very opinionated posters on other sites who are certain that Hart is nothing but a figurehead for certain powerful alumni. 

I have no idea.  But my guess is that Hart is in fact the most powerful figure in all of this. He certainly has to respond to powerful donarsand I am sure he consults the biggest donars, but ultimately he calls the shots.  And IMO the powerful donars have to give him the room to fail.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 11:45:26 EST »

This sounds like someone who has no clue whatsoever just making shizzle up, IMO.  I heard a caller on whatever show the animal had on tonight ("the Nation"???) as I drove home, who said all the talk is misinformation because Gruden is "too focused on Monday Night Football because that's the kind of guy he is and doesn't want anything distracting from it."    

There are also various theories on what level of control Hart actually exercises.  There are very opinionated posters on other sites who are certain that Hart is nothing but a figurehead for certain powerful alumni. 

I have no idea.  But my guess is that Hart is in fact the most powerful figure in all of this. He certainly has to respond to powerful donarsand I am sure he consults the biggest donars, but ultimately he calls the shots.  And IMO the powerful donars have to give him the room to fail.

One person's guess is as good as any at this point.  We'll see.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 12:47:28 EST »

If the big dollar donors had nearly as much involvement in and control of the process as people tend to think, do you think Kiffin or Dooley would have been hired?  Or, do people really believe that Hart will have less control than Hamilton did?  He already has freed up money not usually available (that would go from the UTAD to the university), so I think he will have more freedom and control than Hamilton did.  Based on his comments, I think Hart will control things and will deal with donors tactfully but certainly will not bow to their wishes or let them dictate the process.  I think that is true whether the ultimate coach hired is Gruden or anyone else.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 03:53:26 EST »

If the big dollar donors had nearly as much involvement in and control of the process as people tend to think, do you think Kiffin or Dooley would have been hired?  Or, do people really believe that Hart will have less control than Hamilton did?  He already has freed up money not usually available (that would go from the UTAD to the university), so I think he will have more freedom and control than Hamilton did.  Based on his comments, I think Hart will control things and will deal with donors tactfully but certainly will not bow to their wishes or let them dictate the process.  I think that is true whether the ultimate coach hired is Gruden or anyone else.

I certainly hope so.  If Hart is the strong-willed individual he appears to be, we are much better off than when Hamilton was running the show, because my perception is that Hamilton was pulled all over the place by whatever the trend of the day was.  ICBW, but I think it goes much better this time.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 04:01:43 EST »

I certainly hope so.  If Hart is the strong-willed individual he appears to be, we are much better off than when Hamilton was running the show, because my perception is that Hamilton was pulled all over the place by whatever the trend of the day was.  ICBW, but I think it goes much better this time.

I agree to a point. But, just for the sake of conversation, let's pretend that Gruden does want to come to UT but Hart rejects him to prove a point to boosters that he is his own man and will not be told how to do his job. (That's actually been rumored.) If so, who benefits more - the university or Hart?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 04:08:39 EST »

I agree to a point. But, just for the sake of conversation, let's pretend that Gruden does want to come to UT but Hart rejects him to prove a point to boosters that he is his own man and will not be told how to do his job. (That's actually been rumored.) If so, who benefits more - the university or Hart?

Not the University.  I think Hart is smart enough to realize that Gruden is a good hire and he is almost certainly on Hart's list.  I also think Hart realizes that Gruden is a long shot.

Which brings me to my theory about the "control issue" leaks.  If anything, Hart is trying to wrest even more control away from the University and into the AD, and so he floats that Gredn wants a certain level of control.  This sets up the situation where (a) the University, not Hart appears to be the obstacle (regardless of how likely Gruden is to come) and (b) Hart gets more of what he wants or is able to blame the University for "losing Gruden".

100% speculation...but IMO Hart is leaking rumors about control that Gruden wants to get control for Hart.  
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:13:33 EST by BanditVol » Logged

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 04:15:23 EST »

I don't think Hart would be dumb enough to reject Gruden for that reason.  To the extent there are talks with Gruden, they may not work out, but I would bet it would be for business reasons, not based on Hart's ego or to prove a point.  Hart's interest is in getting the best coach he can, and his future in the AD business would be helped (presumably) immensely by a Gruden or Gruden-like hire.  I have a feeling there is a lot of guessing going on in all of these rumors and most are WAY off the mark.  So, to join the club, I am hearing that an announcement will be made on Friday. 
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 04:26:50 EST »

The guys on the News Sentinel Sports Page on 990 am are calling UT fans delusional for thinking Gruden is coming to UT. They(Quinn and Ferrar) must really look down on Tennessee fans to take that tone on the subject

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: