VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 07:03:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lots of moaning about team speed this year on defense  (Read 2345 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2012, 10:15:26 EST »

Yet you have to consider that this same team, with a 4-3 defense, was ranked 28th in the country last year, and they got zero help from the offense. Plus they were much greener last year and did not have as much depth on the DL.

My question: How much was it team speed, and how much of it was players reacting too slowly and not being able to catch up? In other words, not "playing fast" because they were thinking too much?

UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:35:29 EST »

I don't feel that thinking was exactly this team's "forte".
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:43:15 EST »

Tell me.  When did you see a linebacker or defensive back actually be in position or take the proper angle to cut off anyone?  It is hard to catch someone when you are running toward the line and having to turn around and start your run when the RD or WR is already past you and at full speed.  When anyone broke past the line of scrimmage, there was zero effort to try to catch them. This defense just was not smart and played out of position most of the season.  If you do not know what to do, you play slow.  This defense did not play like they had a clue.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 11:38:29 EST »

No hiding LB and DB speed is not SEC caliber, BUT, you can cover a lot of that with scheme and smarts--we did neither, just the opposite.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 12:21:07 EST »

Tell me.  When did you see a linebacker or defensive back actually be in position or take the proper angle to cut off anyone?  It is hard to catch someone when you are running toward the line and having to turn around and start your run when the RD or WR is already past you and at full speed.  When anyone broke past the line of scrimmage, there was zero effort to try to catch them. This defense just was not smart and played out of position most of the season.  If you do not know what to do, you play slow.  This defense did not play like they had a clue.

That's what I am saying

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 04:27:02 EST »

While  I am one of the first to point out that we had a decent defense last year, it was actually helped by the offense in the sense that teams did not have to score that much to beat us and often called off the dogs early.     We had the opposite problem this year.

Last year's D was still far better than this year's, but I suspect if we had this year's offense with last year's D, their stats would drop a bit.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: