VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 03:01:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the hottest football game that You attended?  (Read 4183 times)
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:54:26 EST »

The hottest game I ever attended was the 1990 Georgia Tech-NCSU game. Grant Field had astroturf and it felt like 110 degrees in the stands. I got a pretty bad sunburn

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
10EC
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:57:30 EST »

The hottest game I ever attended was the 1990 Georgia Tech-NCSU game. Grant Field had astroturf and it felt like 110 degrees in the stands. I got a pretty bad sunburn

UT/UCLA in the early 90s.  Unbeleivably hot.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 08:01:01 EST »

1998 Vols vs. Syracuse in the Carrier Dome (of all places; no ventilation at all).  Vols players were dropping like flies and being taken to the locker room for fluids/IVs.  Fred White told me he missed seeing the game-winning field goal for that very reason.  The 1997 Vols vs UCLA game at the Rose Bowl was also very hot.  Vendors ran out of bottled water and ended up selling tap water in cups for $3.00 a pop!    Tennessee fans were handling the heat better than UCLA fans due to the unusual high humidity in CA.  Both games were fun though.  
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:18:11 EST by TheRealOrange » Logged
101stDad
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 08:03:24 EST »

UT/UCLA in the early 90s.  Unbeleivably hot.

Yeah, and that day was especially hot after Gaston Green's two TDs and two 2 point conversions brought the Bruhins back from 16 down in the 4th quarter to tie.   

Another hot day was UT/Mississippi State, don't remember the year, but it was the year that Don Smith scored late on an 80 yard run down the west sideline to pull off the upset. 

101stDad
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 08:06:44 EST »

1998 Vols vs. Syracuse in the Carrier Dome (of all places; no ventilation at all).  Vols players were dropping like flies and being taken to the locker room for fluids/IVs.  Fred White told me he missed the game-winning field goal for that very reason.  The 1997 Vols vs UCLA game at the Rose Bowl was also very hot.  Vendors ran out of bottled water and ended up selling tap water in cups for $3.00 a pop!    Tennessee fans were handling the heat better than UCLA fans due to the unusual high humidity in CA.  Both games were fun though.  

It always struck me funny that the Carrier Corporation (of the heating and air conditioning business) bought the naming rights to that building without bothering to see if it had air conditioning. 

Strange.  Just really strange. 
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 08:16:39 EST »

Yeah, and that day was especially hot after Gaston Green's two TDs and two 2 point conversions brought the Bruhins back from 16 down in the 4th quarter to tie.   

The 26-26 tie when Green did his thing for UCLA was in Knoxville in 1985, not the early 90s.  Time flies....     It was the game before the Vols beat Auburn (with Bo Jackson).  But, yes, it was hot and frustrating!   
10EC
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:42 EST »

The 26-26 tie when Green did his thing for UCLA was in Knoxville in 1985, not the early 90s.  Time flies....     It was the game before the Vols beat Auburn (with Bo Jackson).  But, yes, it was hot and frustrating!   

OK, I googled it.  It was the 1991 UT/UCLA game.  Smokey had a heat stroke and was put on the injured list.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43:27 EST »

A Johnny Majors special, as I called it. 

I did not go to that game even though it was my frosh year.  It was played before classes started.  Watched on TV.  Next week, I went to the thrashing of no. 1 Auburn, which was sweet.   

Hottest game for me was 2007 UF in Gainesville.  2:30 kickoff, near 100 deg and humid.  Heat was nowhere near as bad as the result on the field though.    

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 10:59:59 EST »

I concur.  The UT/UCLA game was the hottest I remember attending.  I thought I was going to melt.  Another one I remember is the SMU game in 1969 or 1970 in the east upper deck.  They ran out of ice and cokes so the only drink available was hot coffee.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 12:49:06 EST »

2003 Fresno State game for me.....................................think it was 95-96 degrees for that game.............................humidity was just unbearable

Go Big Orange.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 01:50:56 EST »

Tennessee 31 - Colorado 31, Anaheim Stadium in 1990
Pigskin Classic

Second hottest?  Any 3:30 game in the swamp though the 1997 and 2005 games stick out

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 02:07:00 EST »

1999 vs Tiger High  a.k.a.  Memphis St.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 02:15:10 EST »

1999 vs Tiger High  a.k.a.  Memphis St.
For memphis games, the 1973 contest against KSU was bloody freaking hot in the nice cool wool unis of the POTSMB
In fact we made a deal with the neighboring students who had managed to smuggle in some sustenance that we would buy racks of coke for them and us if they would share their stash.  They readily agreed.  Never had I used my travel per diem so wisely 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: