VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 09:04:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for you computer smart people...  (Read 2540 times)
VOLveeta
« on: January 13, 2015, 08:41:40 EST »

Ava is expressing a huge interest in learning code (she's already written the narrative for her first video game.  ).  I've got her messing with some tutorials on learncode.org.  She's loving it.  But would any of you offer advice as to where one goes to seriously begin her on this adventure.  It thrills me to PIECES that she has acquired this passion and not theatre!!!

Thanks!

yer palâ„¢,
VOLveeta
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:39:49 EST »

I've attended courses through a company called New Horizons here in Knoxville.  But there are similar technical schools in just about every major city I'd bet, where you basically take a weeklong crash course on the technical subject of your choosing.

There are also lots of "Learn the basics of x type programming language in 5 minutes" type books on Amazon, those are handy for the absolute basics.  It'd be a cheaper way to find out what type of programming she gravitates to.

That's way cool, by the way.   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:45:02 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
10EC
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 10:41:29 EST »

Has that much time passed?  Isn't she like 7 years old still???

VOLveeta
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 11:02:43 EST »

She is ten years old!!!!!!!!  Thanks y'all.  I'm so proud of her desire to learn and create!!!
generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 12:20:44 EST »

Is that site with the frozen character animations? That's a good one for intro programming. It teaches code in blocks which helps understand how it works and then you can get more advanced later on with actual lines of code. Code academy has a pretty decent website with a python tutorial. It's a fairly easy language to begin with. There are tons of books and sites to help with learning coding. Should be easy to find material.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 06:00:41 EST »

If she really wants to learn the good stuff, C++, C#, and Java is where it's at. Start with linear, sequential programming, then move on to functions, then move on to object orientation, then service orientation.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: