VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 04:00:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western ky looking great against Ky....  (Read 13151 times)
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2013, 03:42:12 EDT »

We gonna have our hands full!

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 03:58:19 EDT »

maybe...uk is.pretty bad

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 04:09:32 EDT »

Are you watching the game? Western looks great! I am seriously concerned!

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 04:23:14 EDT »

Are you watching the game? Western looks great! I am seriously concerned!

No im in ktown at my folks and they dont have cable

Its a great stepping stone to the next game IMO. 

Them beating uk wont.impress me.but Ill be worried if its a rout.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 04:33:40 EDT »

So far....its a rout. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:35:45 EDT by Hollerboy » Logged

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 04:56:52 EDT »

I was a little concerned about WKU even before tonight's game. Petrino is a great coach, even though I would not want him at Tennessee. And it isn't like the cupboard he inherited was completely bare. UT will absolutely have its hands full next week.

OTOH, the Mark Stoops honeymoon at UK is certainly screeching to a halt, eh?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 05:17:12 EDT »

I was a little concerned about WKU even before tonight's game.

Me too.  Tonight has just reenforced those fears.   
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 01:58:06 EDT »

WKU looked more like an SEC team than we did.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 03:11:11 EDT »

WKU looked more like an SEC team than we did.

Seriously? Or are you joking?

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 05:39:56 EDT »

We gonna have our hands full!

UK was horrible and was not at all close to being an SEC Team. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 11:35:19 EDT »

Seriously? Or are you joking?

Not joking. WKU is physical and has decent team speed. They would not be considered a top SEC team, but neither are we. Typically I would think we have more quality depth but that is not a given anymore.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 05:24:45 EDT »

Not joking. WKU is physical and has decent team speed. They would not be considered a top SEC team, but neither are we. Typically I would think we have more quality depth but that is not a given anymore.

I'm gonna have to disagree based on last year's performance alone.  They had a slightly better record than us vs. much much worse competition.  Of course, it's a new year and all, but I am counting on MASSIVE improvement in our D on the theory that "they can't possibly do worse".

Honestly their D suxes...last year they gave up tons of points (still not as bad as us though lol).  This year Kentucky scored a few on them.  Their run D was below average, and we have not only a legit SEC OL, but frankly the best in the conference and one of the best in the country.  We should be able to run the ball down their throats and have time for enough of a passing game to keep them honest, new QB and WR or not. 

Don't get me wrong, it will be a challenge, but I don't think they are "more of an SEC team than us" by any stretch.  I look forward to the game actually, because it is going to be a challenge stopping their passing game.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 12:16:10 EDT »

I'm gonna have to disagree based on last year's performance alone.  They had a slightly better record than us vs. much much worse competition.  Of course, it's a new year and all, but I am counting on MASSIVE improvement in our D on the theory that "they can't possibly do worse".

Honestly their D suxes...last year they gave up tons of points (still not as bad as us though lol).  This year Kentucky scored a few on them.  Their run D was below average, and we have not only a legit SEC OL, but frankly the best in the conference and one of the best in the country.  We should be able to run the ball down their throats and have time for enough of a passing game to keep them honest, new QB and WR or not. 

Don't get me wrong, it will be a challenge, but I don't think they are "more of an SEC team than us" by any stretch.  I look forward to the game actually, because it is going to be a challenge stopping their passing game.

Hope you are correct. Could be I am just a bit gun shy after the last few years.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 01:33:35 EDT »

the best in the SEC and nation remark regarding our OL....they failed to impose their will against a very small, inferior DL. They rated highly based primarily on the few number of sacks allowed last year but they have never been a strong OL regarding the run, they've been soft in that respect and I didn't see anything Sat that made me think that has changed. We'll know more Sat.
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 02:10:27 EDT »

the best in the SEC and nation remark regarding our OL....they failed to impose their will against a very small, inferior DL. They rated highly based primarily on the few number of sacks allowed last year but they have never been a strong OL regarding the run, they've been soft in that respect and I didn't see anything Sat that made me think that has changed. We'll know more Sat.

I've seen this comment a couple of times now (sorry, don't remember if it was you the other time or someone else  ) and I'm not quite sure where it's coming from. Let me say first that I'm a little skeptical about how good our OL will be, simply because they haven't gotten it done in practice the way they should against their counterparts on the UT DL. With that said, there's no way anyone can say that UT's starting OL was unable to impose its will against APSU Saturday. Tennessee did whatever it wanted to do in the first half of that game. Now, when the 2s and 3s were playing in the second half, I'll agree with you: they didn't do nearly as well as I would've hoped. But those guys weren't the starters, and the starters are the ones who get the praise as being the best in the SEC. Our line is just like almost every other position on the football team: perilously thin when it comes to experienced depth.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 03:24:22 EDT »

I've seen this comment a couple of times now (sorry, don't remember if it was you the other time or someone else  ) and I'm not quite sure where it's coming from. Let me say first that I'm a little skeptical about how good our OL will be, simply because they haven't gotten it done in practice the way they should against their counterparts on the UT DL. With that said, there's no way anyone can say that UT's starting OL was unable to impose its will against APSU Saturday. Tennessee did whatever it wanted to do in the first half of that game. Now, when the 2s and 3s were playing in the second half, I'll agree with you: they didn't do nearly as well as I would've hoped. But those guys weren't the starters, and the starters are the ones who get the praise as being the best in the SEC. Our line is just like almost every other position on the football team: perilously thin when it comes to experienced depth.

Same here. Johnny mentioned it a couple of times in another thread. In the first half our OL pushed them all over the field and we gashed them in the run game. In the second half you had 2nd and 3rd string players who did not perform as well as they should have, but I didn't notice anything worth worrying about at all in the starting OL.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 03:48:34 EDT »

A couple points here:

1.  We're coming off one coach whose single recruiting class was a complete washout.  Poof.  They're ALL gone.  And his replacement recruited scared for three+ years, and all but refused to go head to head against bammer, UF, UGA, etc. for the players they really wanted.  It shouldn't come as any surprise that we're lacking quality depth. 

2.  Some of you are acting like having all the 2's and 3's on the field at the same time is going to be a regular occurrence.  This isn't hockey- we won't be doing a complete line change unless a game is decided, and that won't be happening in SEC play.  Would I like to be able to get Tiny a rest and bring in a guy just as good as he is?  Sure I would.  But that's not where we are.  This team is going to rely heavily on the starters, and that's not going to just get fixed overnight.  We all knew this going in. 

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 04:05:02 EDT »

I heard regarding inability to dominate the los in a some situations was probably when the back ups were in, however this line has earned a reputation of being "great" based on the fact that our offense recently has been a passing offense and we have given up few sacks. Look at the ypc over the past 3 yrs and it's not good and my point was to that fact IMO precludes calling them "great"...if someone wants to say they're great at pass protection I'll give 'em that but a truly great OL (like Bama last year) is great at both run blocking and pass blocking. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 04:31:06 EDT »

Look at the ypc over the past 3 yrs and it's not good

Last year we averaged 4.7 YPC, which was 43rd nationally. That's not where we'd like to be, but it's not terrible either and was a big improvement over the previous two years. I expect to be a bit better than that this year, as the offensive mentality is going to be considerably different.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 05:07:06 EDT »

attributed to the prolific passing game and the big plays that resulted in the passing game, which held the focus of defenses, than to actually getting better at run blocking....can't say for a fact but it is reasonable to think that given the poor production in the run game the previous 2 yrs. I think it was last year that we switched from the zone-blocking scheme that seemed about as successful as the 3-4 defense, so that may carry over if it had an impact. I truly hope we're better because Worley will not be striking fear into any defenses and a solid run game would provide some cover for him and the young receivers.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 05:08:15 EDT »

It's true. Our line sucks. There's no hope for our RBs. Woe is us. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 05:16:02 EDT »

It's true. Our line sucks. There's no hope for our RBs. Woe is us. 

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 05:42:59 EDT »

it's part of the fun of being a fan....I love football, college football that is, I no longer have the passion for the pro game. I apologize if I appear contrary, I don't intend to be, I just like to give and receive different perspectives to get a feel for how a game will play out against a particular opponent. 
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 06:01:41 EDT »

A stat I saw on another board:  Against Western KY, Ky averaged 6.8 yards a carry.  If UK's o-line and RB's can do that, I would be highly disappointed if we can't do that or better.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 06:19:47 EDT »

it's part of the fun of being a fan....I love football, college football that is, I no longer have the passion for the pro game. I apologize if I appear contrary, I don't intend to be, I just like to give and receive different perspectives to get a feel for how a game will play out against a particular opponent. 

That's what message boards are for man!  All in good natured discussion.   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: