VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 01:59:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butch, the motivator  (Read 2734 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2013, 06:51:29 EDT »

Got this in an email from my bro in law who reads some of the pay stuff:

Jones, never shy about taking jabs at some of his own players at practice over the microphone, was after star linebacker A.J. Johnson before practice. He told him he would see a “real NFL linebacker” in Western Kentucky’s Andrew Jackson. He told Johnson that Jackson is a first-round pick, while he’s an NFL practice squad player. He later jokingly told an assistant to bring a white football to the game so he could get an autograph from Jackson.

CBSSports.com rates A.J. Johnson as the No. 1 inside linebacker eligible for next year’s draft and projects him as a second-round pick. Jackson is rated as the No. 4 inside linebacker and projects him as a 3rd-4th round pick.

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 07:10:28 EDT »

When this season is over, I hope the UTSID makes a video of all of Butch's megaphone quips during the course of the season. They're great. And the players respond positively to that tough love, too. Contrast Butch's approach with Dooley's penchant for snarkey putdowns of his players like needing to teach them how to bathe.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:21:16 EDT »

When this season is over, I hope the UTSID makes a video of all of Butch's megaphone quips during the course of the season. They're great. And the players respond positively to that tough love, too. Contrast Butch's approach with Dooley's penchant for snarkey putdowns of his players like needing to teach them how to bathe.

Maybe I was reading something that wasn't there, but I think that Butch's whole "Team 117" thing was a direct response to Dooley calling his first team "Year Zero"- as if it was just a throwaway season.  At the time, I agreed with that.  But now that I think about it- How does that play with the team? Especially the seniors?  Those guys had been working their asses off for 4-5 years, and then along comes this new coach, who declares publicly that their final season in Orange doesn't count?  That's a slap in the face.

This year, Butch is in the same boat.  And we all know that this team isn't going to peak for another 2-3 seasons.  But Butch can't allow the players to think that they're just marking time until the cavalry arrives.  I think that what "Team 117" is all about- each year's team is every bit as important as the one that came before it, and the one that will follow.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:31:21 EDT »

given a number, it helps to provide an identity to the group and as a group it is up to them to establish their legacy.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 07:51:50 EDT »

Maybe I was reading something that wasn't there, but I think that Butch's whole "Team 117" thing was a direct response to Dooley calling his first team "Year Zero"- as if it was just a throwaway season.  At the time, I agreed with that.  But now that I think about it- How does that play with the team? Especially the seniors?  Those guys had been working their asses off for 4-5 years, and then along comes this new coach, who declares publicly that their final season in Orange doesn't count?  That's a slap in the face.

This year, Butch is in the same boat.  And we all know that this team isn't going to peak for another 2-3 seasons.  But Butch can't allow the players to think that they're just marking time until the cavalry arrives.  I think that what "Team 117" is all about- each year's team is every bit as important as the one that came before it, and the one that will follow.

Extra points for spelling calvary cavalry right.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:54:40 EDT »

Extra points for spelling calvary cavalry right.

I'll admit it- spellcheck saved me there.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:14:11 EDT »

yeah when it came to how he treated his players dooley was an ahole

@bdv the problem was dooley had three year zeroes instead of one 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 09:16:22 EDT »

yeah when it came to how he treated his players dooley was an ahole

@bdv the problem was dooley had three year zeroes instead of one 

Coach Zero.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: