VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 02:18:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How the Sunseri deal went down, according to Feelslike98..  (Read 5594 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:43:19 EST »

http://www.feelslike98.com/uncategorized/sunseri-how-it-all-went-down/01/13/2012/
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:47:43 EST »

Interesting, if true...

As for giving Dooley time, I agree 100%.   I've been pretty quiet through all the Dooley negatives since the loss to Ky....but, I've always felt he needed a minimum of 3 years of HIS recruits, meaning 4 seasons, to get us where we need to be.   I pray he's given that time since none of us really know what is going on internally.  I know I'm just a dumb woman, but in this case, I think patience will be rewarded.  Fans are way too fickle.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:59:53 EST »

I do think he's a smart guy.  He walked into an absolute mess.  The times we live in just won't allow him the time he truly deserves.  I think he realistically should get 2-3 more years, considering what he started with.. But I think we all know that won't happen.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 02:34:13 EST »

I for one hope Dooley can turn it around (though I'm not at all confident that he can) because I like him. But if UT thinks the Knox media is treating them poorly right now, let them try playing hardball with them and they'll REALLY see what negativity in the press can be like. Frankly, considering the way this season ended and the events involved, the local media handled Dooley with kid gloves.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 03:24:20 EST »

Interesting, if true...

As for giving Dooley time, I agree 100%.   I've been pretty quiet through all the Dooley negatives since the loss to Ky....but, I've always felt he needed a minimum of 3 years of HIS recruits, meaning 4 seasons, to get us where we need to be.   I pray he's given that time since none of us really know what is going on internally.  I know I'm just a dumb woman, but in this case, I think patience will be rewarded.  Fans are way too fickle.

I don't think three years total is fickle if there are obvious signs that there are coaching inadequacies and not just talent issues. JMHO

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 04:51:01 EST »

I think a lot of folks like Dooley and hope he succeeds, but agree if the running game doesn't improve there's no hope for the future. If he can fix it good, but if not he's never going to work. Next year he'll have the talent to at least make it serviceable so it's the test.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 03:58:11 EST »

I don't think three years total is fickle if there are obvious signs that there are coaching inadequacies and not just talent issues. JMHO

But that's just it.....talent IS still a huge issue, especially when your best talent is hurt most/all of the season!  Dooley's only had 1 of his own recruiting classes....not enough to correct the mess he walked into.   I've said before, I don't think any coach in this country could have done much more with this team than Dooley did this year -- with the schedule they played.  Again, just my opinion.  He's obviously trying to correct coaching issues and bring in the needed talent so there is enough depth to compete against the LSU's and Bama's of the world.  He needs 3 years of HIS recruiting classes....JMHO...without it, I have my doubts he can make it...with it, I think he may be successful.  I'd hate like hell to see him fired after 3 years and go to UGA or another SEC school and become a huge success.....as I stated, IMO, patience will reward here.  As for fickle fans....yes there are plenty of them around the Volunteer nation -- I'm not here to argue with anyone, but I distinctly remember many here stating he needed a MINIMUM of 3 years to make it right, I now see some of those same folks stating next year is IT...should not be given more time, etc etc.  We'll see....but as many do here, I'm simply stating my opinion of the situation.  We'll see how it plays out.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:02:39 EST by RockinGrannyVol » Logged

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 04:16:53 EST »

I for one hope Dooley can turn it around (though I'm not at all confident that he can) because I like him. But if UT thinks the Knox media is treating them poorly right now, let them try playing hardball with them and they'll REALLY see what negativity in the press can be like. Frankly, considering the way this season ended and the events involved, the local media handled Dooley with kid gloves.

Agree 100%.....................................good coaching can even some talent gaps, at least in 1 game/yr or 2...............

Go Big Orange.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 06:00:13 EST »

It might.  My impression of Hart is that he will not buckle to fans or media, he will do what he thinks will bring UT back to a power level, SEC and nationally.  If he thinks Dooley is the guy, he will be here 2-3 more years (given that 5 years is the "conventional" wisdom on turning a program).  If he does not think Dooley is moving in the right direction, I think he will pull the trigger anytime.  From my limited contacts on the hill, I get the impression Hart is a total no-nonsense guy with very strong conviction in his own opinions.  A radical departure from recent past.

I do think he's a smart guy.  He walked into an absolute mess.  The times we live in just won't allow him the time he truly deserves.  I think he realistically should get 2-3 more years, considering what he started with.. But I think we all know that won't happen.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 07:18:35 EST »

Good points, LouisVOL.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 07:31:38 EST »

But that's just it.....talent IS still a huge issue, especially when your best talent is hurt most/all of the season!  Dooley's only had 1 of his own recruiting classes....not enough to correct the mess he walked into.   I've said before, I don't think any coach in this country could have done much more with this team than Dooley did this year -- with the schedule they played.  Again, just my opinion.  He's obviously trying to correct coaching issues and bring in the needed talent so there is enough depth to compete against the LSU's and Bama's of the world.  He needs 3 years of HIS recruiting classes....JMHO...without it, I have my doubts he can make it...with it, I think he may be successful.  I'd hate like hell to see him fired after 3 years and go to UGA or another SEC school and become a huge success.....as I stated, IMO, patience will reward here.  As for fickle fans....yes there are plenty of them around the Volunteer nation -- I'm not here to argue with anyone, but I distinctly remember many here stating he needed a MINIMUM of 3 years to make it right, I now see some of those same folks stating next year is IT...should not be given more time, etc etc.  We'll see....but as many do here, I'm simply stating my opinion of the situation.  We'll see how it plays out.

Injuries or not, there were obvious times where Dooley didn't coach well. I agree that talent is the biggest thing and that's why I was OK with his first year. But the locker room issues, the coaching turnover, and the Kentucky game were not because of talent.

He has talent and experience for 2012... time to make a jump. Youth is no longer an excuse. We'll see how it goes but I will steadfast in my opinion that this year is the year to take a step forward. And yes I have changed my view from five years to three... that's not fickle because I've used real life evidence to form my opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 07:34:12 EST »

Injuries or not, there were obvious times where Dooley didn't coach well. I agree that talent is the biggest thing and that's why I was OK with his first year. But the locker room issues, the coaching turnover, and the Kentucky game were not because of talent.

That's where I stand on it, as well.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 12:01:05 EST »

I don't think everyone would be so negative except for the UK loss.  I think everyone agrees we don't have the talent to beat the likes of Bama, LSU, and Arkansas, which were all on our schedule last year.  However, losing to UK is where Dooley lost alot of people.  You just don't lose to UK.....ever....much less with a WR playing QB. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 12:39:16 EST »

I don't think everyone would be so negative except for the UK loss.  I think everyone agrees we don't have the talent to beat the likes of Bama, LSU, and Arkansas, which were all on our schedule last year.  However, losing to UK is where Dooley lost alot of people.  You just don't lose to UK.....ever....much less with a WR playing QB.

Yup.  Inexcusable loss.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: