VTTW Board Index
May 24, 2024, 05:00:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vols definitely take the early lead for the Fulmer Cup after tonight's news  (Read 8716 times)
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2016, 05:38:26 EST »

On campus for less than a month.  

https://twitter.com/John_BriceVQ/status/700176095291842561

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 05:49:19 EST »

Dustin Dopirak   @TennesseeBeat 

Confirmed that Alexis Johnson was arrested tonight on charges of aggravated assault (strangulation) and false imprisonment
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 01:01:52 EST »

IF true, cut him loose. I'm aware mad, vindictive people come in all genders, and calling the cops is a trump card. That having been said, this sounds really bad.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 01:55:16 EST »

Doubt he makes it back on the team. How much of an idiot is this guy?

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 03:13:18 EST »

Juco. 

There are only a few reasons student/athletes have to go the juco route, and none of them are positive. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
10EC
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 04:13:03 EST »

Juco. 

There are only a few reasons student/athletes have to go the juco route, and none of them are positive. 

Gotta disagree.  I think JUCO give student athletes who couldn't make grades a second chance.  I consider that a positive.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 04:15:38 EST »

Gotta disagree.  I think JUCO give student athletes who couldn't make grades a second chance.  I consider that a positive.

I think Herb is just saying they're higher risk, which is true. I definitely think JUCO is a positive overall and is an opportunity for kids who may not have had one otherwise.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 05:03:40 EST »

Ever wonder why when we have players do stupid crap.....it can't be 3rd or 4th stringers?
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 06:35:55 EST »

If they couldn't do the academic work in high school, what are the chances that they are going to "get it" in juco, where they don't have the academic support that they would at a Power 5 type school, actually getting to the level where they can do University level academic work? 

Prospects go to juco go there for academic purposes, but the reasons for those academic shortfalls more than not have major underlying issues - mostly behavioral and character issues. 

I just had this conversation with a coach at one of the Mississippi jucos  - a guy who was a high school coach in the Knoxville area for about 15 years before going there.  We talked about a couple of the players his school signed from East Tennessee, and he told me that 75% of the kids they get are in the boat that this kid was in, and his academics were bad because of character issues. 

Like I said, there are several reasons why prospects with D1 talent have to go the juco route in football, and they are 90% negative.  Occasionally a few in that 10% make it, but they are the exceptions.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
10EC
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 06:41:36 EST »

If they couldn't do the academic work in high school, what are the chances that they are going to "get it" in juco, where they don't have the academic support that they would at a Power 5 type school, actually getting to the level where they can do University level academic work? 

Prospects go to juco go there for academic purposes, but the reasons for those academic shortfalls more than not have major underlying issues - mostly behavioral and character issues. 

I just had this conversation with a coach at one of the Mississippi jucos  - a guy who was a high school coach in the Knoxville area for about 15 years before going there.  We talked about a couple of the players his school signed from East Tennessee, and he told me that 75% of the kids they get are in the boat that this kid was in, and his academics were bad because of character issues. 

Like I said, there are several reasons why prospects with D1 talent have to go the juco route in football, and they are 90% negative.  Occasionally a few in that 10% make it, but they are the exceptions.   

Lets hope for Kongbo
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 06:50:28 EST »

Lets hope for Kongbo

I'm right there with you on that one. 

The hope with him is that he didn't come to this country until just a few years ago and he really is one of those who was not ready for the freedom of a University in America.

Plus he seems to have a strong family structure, which most of the American kids who end up at a juco don't. 

I am hoping he is an exception. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 07:13:45 EST »

Lets hope for Kongbo

Kongbo was a full qualifier out of HS. He is from another country, wasn't ready and went to juco for a year to get adjusted to college academics. He doesn't have any history of behavioral issues.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 07:19:20 EST »

Kongbo was a full qualifier out of HS. He is from another country, wasn't ready and went to juco for a year to get adjusted to college academics. He doesn't have any history of behavioral issues.

Pretty much what I said, wasn't it? 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 07:26:25 EST »

IIRC Kingbo went to Wyoming first and then went to JUCO?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 09:46:33 EST »

Pretty much what I said, wasn't it? 

yeah I hit reply before I read your post
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 09:47:45 EST »

TMA helped Mr. Rollins out quite a bit back in the day.   Don't assume that JUCOs have any academic standards AT ALL 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 10:21:39 EST »

IIRC Kingbo went to Wyoming first and then went to JUCO?

yes
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 10:41:16 EST »

TMA helped Mr. Rollins out quite a bit back in the day.   Don't assume that JUCOs have any academic standards AT ALL 

TMI wasn't a juco.  It was a prep school. 

Huge difference in why most prospects go to a prep school over a juco. 

Jucos pretty much mean the core sucks. 

Prep school generally means the core is good, but the standardized test score is deficient. 

A prospect can continue to work on his test score if he has a core, but if he doesn't have a core once his high school class graduates he is toast as far as having an opportunity to be a qualifier out of high school, necessitating the JUCO route.

There are some slight deviations, but that's pretty much the why of Prep School vs. JUCO. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 03:45:00 EST »

TMI wasn't a juco.  It was a prep school.  

Huge difference in why most prospects go to a prep school over a juco.  

Jucos pretty much mean the core sucks.  

Prep school generally means the core is good, but the standardized test score is deficient.  

A prospect can continue to work on his test score if he has a core, but if he doesn't have a core once his high school class graduates he is toast as far as having an opportunity to be a qualifier out of high school, necessitating the JUCO route.

There are some slight deviations, but that's pretty much the why of Prep School vs. JUCO.  

All I know is that TMI was considered a joke when I was in college in the late 80s.  

Mr. Rollins attendance at TMI became the topic of a conversation in the Library (the bar on the strip) after 1987 tie game with Auburn that felt like a win between a bunch of idjut students and a defensive back whose name I can't recall.  The DB had had a few and kept repeating "I don't know no TMI-ah" at the top of his voice.  The bouncer had to tell the students to take a hike.

Anyway, I think the gist of the conversation was something along the lines of even the defensive back could have made As at "TMI-ah".  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:36:53 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 05:21:21 EST »

All I know is that TMI was considered a joke when I was in college in the late 80s. 

Mr. Rollins attendance at TMI became the topic of a conversation in the Library (the bar on the strip) in the 1987 game between a bunch of idjut students and a defensive back whose name I can't recall.  The DB had had a few and kept repeating "I don't know no TMI-ah" at the top of his voice.  The bouncer had to tell the students to take a hike.

Anyway, I think the gist of the conversation was something along the lines of even the defensive back could have made As at "TMI-ah".   

TMI sent UT some pretty good players - Dale Jones and Chris White are two off the top of my head. 

But that said, the rules were quite different back in that day in regards to initial eligibility.  There was no Clearinghouse to get through.  It was pretty much "get in" to a particular school and you were good to go. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: