VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 08:19:04 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FIRE Holly!  (Read 3789 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2019, 09:40:21 EST »

Straight forward deceleration
Charges? 
Inability to coach
Destruction of the house that Pat built
Destruction of the Lady VOLS
Destruction of the Tennessee brand
fizzleing CLUELESS!

Do the right thing for the University that you and I love Phil

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:45:35 EST »

Mr. Moderator, I'll second the motion.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:53:31 EST »

Look, I've been calling for Holly's job longer than anyone. But there's no need to get ugly about this. She's not some interloper like Butch or Kiffin, she's one of us. She's spent most of her life busting her ass for UT. She obviously hasn't worked out as a HC, and hopefully her time in that role is drawing to a close. But she deserves to go out with some dignity. We at least owe her that.

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:58:57 EST »

Look, I've been calling for Holly's job longer than anyone. But there's no need to get ugly about this. She's not some interloper like Butch or Kiffin, she's one of us. She's spent most of her life busting her ass for UT. She obviously hasn't worked out as a HC, and hopefully her time in that role is drawing to a close. But she deserves to go out with some dignity. We at least owe her that.
This I agree with.   She is all Vol.  I'm praying she steps down and they keep her in the fold somewhere.   She just isn't a good head coach.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 10:04:59 EST »

This I agree with.   She is all Vol.  I'm praying she steps down and they keep her in the fold somewhere.   She just isn't a good head coach.

I think most Vol fans would completely agree with this. I know that I do.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 10:09:42 EST »

If she really respects the LV brand and what Pat built she will put the program out of it's misery and step down.....She's had 7 (seven) years and the program continues to decline and anyone can see she can't coach at this level....The one constant is these McDonald's All American's come and go but the program under Holly continues to be a after thought.. If she doesn't see it and do what is best for the program then IMO it's more about herself and bank account.
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 10:09:55 EST »

I disagree. Allowing her to go out with dignity means allowing her to go out on her terms. What happens when she decides to stay on . . . and on? Clearly she sees nothing wrong with her coaching and, if given the chance, will continue to run this program deeper into the muck. It's time. Heck, it's past time. It was time 4 years ago, but no one wanted to admit it because she was getting results in March. It was past time 2 years ago, but again no one wanted to admit it because she was recruiting well. At this point, there's no justification for delaying the inevitable.

It can't be personal. I'm sure Holly is a fine person, and I appreciate that she was loyal to Pat Summitt for so many years. But it's a business decision that must be made. Dignity? Yes, she should be afforded the dignity of Fulmer allowing her to resign. And I'm confident he will do that. Will she take him up on it? I'm not so certain. It doesn't matter, because when you brush away the semantics it's the same thing. She needs to be forced out...now.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 10:44:50 EST »

Agree 100%.

It's the program that Pat built and Holly probably second only to Pat in her overall time spent and blood/sweat/tears contributions to this program.  To say "it can't be personal" is just not being realistic at all IMO.  It's going to be personal no matter what.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 11:07:51 EST »

I disagree. Allowing her to go out with dignity means allowing her to go out on her terms. What happens when she decides to stay on . . . and on? Clearly she sees nothing wrong with her coaching and, if given the chance, will continue to run this program deeper into the muck. It's time. Heck, it's past time. It was time 4 years ago, but no one wanted to admit it because she was getting results in March. It was past time 2 years ago, but again no one wanted to admit it because she was recruiting well. At this point, there's no justification for delaying the inevitable.

It can't be personal. I'm sure Holly is a fine person, and I appreciate that she was loyal to Pat Summitt for so many years. But it's a business decision that must be made. Dignity? Yes, she should be afforded the dignity of Fulmer allowing her to resign. And I'm confident he will do that. Will she take him up on it? I'm not so certain. It doesn't matter, because when you brush away the semantics it's the same thing. She needs to be forced out...now.

We're arguing over semantics here. To be clear, I also feel that Holly should be fired if she won't resign voluntarily. But there is no call for the personal attacks and insults from the online mob that normally accompany these situations. In this case, that's what "dignity" means to me.

A few years ago, I was harder on Holly than anyone (you can look it up in the archives). Then I heard her speak at Pat's memorial service. You could feel how much this place and this program mean to her. So while the bottom line for me didn't change, I decided to cut her little slack. I hope everyone else will do the same at this time. Because she's given more to UT than any of us, I guarantee you that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:12:12 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 11:19:31 EST »

It's time for Holly to go, be it of her own accord or by being removed by the AD. Personally, I like to see her step down, but if that doesn't happen the Phil needs to do it (hopefully in the the most respectful way possible).
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 12:02:44 EST »

We're arguing over semantics here. To be clear, I also feel that Holly should be fired if she won't resign voluntarily. But there is no call for the personal attacks and insults from the online mob that normally accompany these situations. In this case, that's what "dignity" means to me.

A few years ago, I was harder on Holly than anyone (you can look it up in the archives). Then I heard her speak at Pat's memorial service. You could feel how much this place and this program mean to her. So while the bottom line for me didn't change, I decided to cut her little slack. I hope everyone else will do the same at this time. Because she's given more to UT than any of us, I guarantee you that.

Well I don’t disagree with that. But I do reserve the right to say that she’s a terrible coach.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 12:13:46 EST »

There are ways for her to resign with push from above if she won't do it on her own.   If she flat refuses, then she must be fired.  I just don't want her thrown out with the trash...ie Butch.... because she has been a Vol her whole life.  It can be handled well if she/ they will just do it!

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 12:18:41 EST »

Agree 100%.

It's the program that Pat built and Holly probably second only to Pat in her overall time spent and blood/sweat/tears contributions to this program.  To say "it can't be personal" is just not being realistic at all IMO.  It's going to be personal no matter what.

In 1954, Tennessee finished 4-6 and General Neyland fired Harvey Robinson after just 2 years as a head coach and a 10-10-1 overall record. Robinson had been his QB as a player — and everyone knew how Neyland felt about the kids that he called “these boys of ours” — plus he had been his assistant and was his hand pick to take over the program. When he fired him, Neyland is said to have cried and said “the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do is fire one of my boys.” He then proceeded to fire the assistants who had been there the last few years he was head coach because he knew a house-cleaning was needed.

It can’t be personal. When it becomes personal it clouds decision making.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 12:25:29 EST »

I hate that it didn't work out for her. But who do they replace her with? Are we going to be forced to hire a less than elite coach? Has Holly messed the program up that much? Are there any elite coaches that would leave their current job?

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 12:48:57 EST »

JMO.....but we have a AD that feels he was wrongfully fired who was a Tennessee boy....played at UT and coached at UT. Enter the same with Holly and there is the issue. I fully expect if they get into the NCAAT she will be the coach next year because Fulmer will not fire her for the reason he felt he didn't deserve to be fired. The only way I see her leaving is if she steps down on her own which I don't see. If you watch her post game pressers after all the loses it's never about her fault...it's about the players not doing their jobs. IMO she truly believes she's not the problem.

I have no idea if the LVs program has big money boosters that can put pressure on the situation or not? Season tickets sales have declined each year the past few years....attendance continues to decline to numbers not seen in 25 plus years. Last week on Senior Day there were only 7,600 in TBA which is unheard of for the program...
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 01:00:57 EST »

In 1954, Tennessee finished 4-6 and General Neyland fired Harvey Robinson after just 2 years as a head coach and a 10-10-1 overall record. Robinson had been his QB as a player — and everyone knew how Neyland felt about the kids that he called “these boys of ours” — plus he had been his assistant and was his hand pick to take over the program. When he fired him, Neyland is said to have cried and said “the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do is fire one of my boys.” He then proceeded to fire the assistants who had been there the last few years he was head coach because he knew a house-cleaning was needed.

It can’t be personal. When it becomes personal it clouds decision making.

Neyland cried because it was personal.  That doesn't mean it doesn't have to be done... It certainly does.  But it doesn't have to go down the way Fulmer's ouster did. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 01:30:11 EST »

Neyland cried because it was personal.  That doesn't mean it doesn't have to be done... It certainly does.  But it doesn't have to go down the way Fulmer's ouster did.  

But was that the fault of the administration or was it Fulmer's fault? Fulmer was given the opportunity to go out on his terms and he rallied the troops around him. He had made a living out of creating an us vs. them mentality with his players when the odds were against them on the field, and he tried to do the same thing against the administration in a sort of last stand. Tbh, I expect Holly's attitude to be similar to Fulmer's attitude back in '08. Sometimes when it's time to part ways, it's just bound to be messy. That's why I say it can't be personal.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 03:07:51 EDT »

I love Holly, but she hasn't worked out. The good news is we've had a long runway.

Due diligence on top candidates should have been completed weeks ago. Following that you have a nice sit down, thank her for her service, and give her the opportunity to resign.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: