VTTW Board Index
May 22, 2024, 10:10:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Vin  (Read 752 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2022, 05:21:56 EDT »

A Great One.

https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/story/2050-10-10/vin-scully-dodgers-dead
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 05:52:26 EDT »

After John Ward, he was the best in the business, IYAM.

That garbage city and garbage franchise didn’t deserve him.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 07:10:19 EDT »

Vin Scully was John Ward with a more mainstream voice - I will admit a better voice, all things considered.  However, I prefer John's voice just because I am biased.  

My dad and his brothers grew up in the heart of the TN valley in Dayton and Athens.  Back then about the only team on the radio was the Yankees.  So they grew up listening to Maris and Mantle et al.  My dad is still a die hard yankees fan.  I was a fan with him in my younger days, back in the time of Billy Martin (I loved Billy Martin), Thurman Munson ( I cried when we saw the news report on his plane crash), Graig Nettles (what a great 3rd base) and on and on.  The only reason I mention this is that I HATED the Dodgers back in the 70s, because I was a yankees fan.  I hated the Royals, as well :-).  As I became a teenager in the 80s, back in the time of cable TV and WTBS, I became a Braves fan.  And of course there was even more Dodger hate back in 1991, when we were chasing the NL west pennant with that pesky team in blue.  I'll never forget being in Fells Point in Baltimore bar hopping with one of my best friends and Atlantan when the Braves clinched the pennant.  I think it was the day before the last game of the season and we were watching the Dodgers and hoping they would choke - and they did much to our delight.  What a great night that was - WORST to FIRST.  I had been at Georgia Tech in grad school the year before and went to so many games that year.  I still can't believe how cheap it was then to see a game.  They had the makings of a great pitching staff then, but dayum, they lost a ton of games that year.  Anyway, it was definitely HATE the dodgers back then.  

I guess I softened on the blue these days - don't really hate them as much and I do have respect for their franchise, I mean come'on BDV, it is a pretty great franchise.  

I lived in LA for 3 years and got to go to Dodger stadium a few times (to see the Braves, of course).  Dodger stadium is simply a beautiful venue.  I love how it is still perfect despite its age - definitely one of my fav parks, right behind Camden Yards in my book.  Yes, the O's are definitely my second team, despite years of ineptitude and bad ownership.  There are some great things about the city of LA, but yeah, lots of "garbage" things about that city as well - mostly to do with the scumbags that run it.  

And then there is Vince Scully.  What an amazing voice and what a great gamecaster.  As good as John Ward....maybe better.  ANd we all know that is saying a HECKUVA lot.  I loved hearing his call of football games in the 70s and 80s.  I can't quite remember when he stopped doing them and why.  And football really was not his forte - but he was one of the best, IMO.  He seemed like a great guy as well, but I guess I have no idea what he was really like.  To me he seemed genuine.  It's sad that there are no longer people, or voices, like his coming up in the ranks.  These days the voice and the professionalism just doesn't seem to matter when the powers that be hire sports telecasters.  I have no idea WTF their criteria is when they look for "talent" in those positions.  It certainly isn't what they used BITD.  I guess that sounds a little "GET OFF MY LAWN"ish - but it is the cold hard truth.  DO I sound bitter?  Well, yeah, I am bitter.  I fizzleing HATE watching sports these days because usually they have some damn amateurish chucklehead calling the contest.  There are a few exceptions, for sure, but they are getting scarcer and scarcer.  /rant over.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 07:14:40 EDT by Coupe De VOL » Logged

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 07:20:59 EDT »

Vin Scully was John Ward with a more mainstream voice - I will admit a better voice, all things considered.  However, I prefer John's voice just because I am biased.  

My dad and his brothers grew up in the heart of the TN valley in Dayton and Athens.  Back then about the only team on the radio was the Yankees.  So they grew up listening to Maris and Mantle et al.  My dad is still a die hard yankees fan.  I was a fan with him in my younger days, back in the time of Billy Martin (I loved Billy Martin), Thurman Munson ( I cried when we saw the news report on his plane crash), Graig Nettles (what a great 3rd base) and on and on.  The only reason I mention this is that I HATED the Dodgers back in the 70s, because I was a yankees fan.  I hated the Royals, as well :-).  As I became a teenager in the 80s, back in the time of cable TV and WTBS, I became a Braves fan.  And of course there was even more Dodger hate back in 1991, when we were chasing the NL west pennant with that pesky team in blue.  I'll never forget being in Fells Point in Baltimore bar hopping with one of my best friends and Atlantan when the Braves clinched the pennant.  I think it was the day before the last game of the season and we were watching the Dodgers and hoping they would choke - and they did much to our delight.  What a great night that was - WORST to FIRST.  I had been at Georgia Tech in grad school the year before and went to so many games that year.  I still can't believe how cheap it was then to see a game.  They had the makings of a great pitching staff then, but dayum, they lost a ton of games that year.  Anyway, it was definitely HATE the dodgers back then.  

I guess I softened on the blue these days - don't really hate them as much and I do have respect for their franchise, I mean come'on BDV, it is a pretty great franchise.  

I lived in LA for 3 years and got to go to Dodger stadium a few times (to see the Braves, of course).  Dodger stadium is simply a beautiful venue.  I love how it is still perfect despite its age - definitely one of my fav parks, right behind Camden Yards in my book.  Yes, the O's are definitely my second team, despite years of ineptitude and bad ownership.  There are some great things about the city of LA, but yeah, lots of "garbage" things about that city as well - mostly to do with the scumbags that run it.  

And then there is Vince Scully.  What an amazing voice and what a great gamecaster.  As good as John Ward....maybe better.  ANd we all know that is saying a HECKUVA lot.  I loved hearing his call of football games in the 70s and 80s.  I can't quite remember when he stopped doing them and why.  And football really was not his forte - but he was one of the best, IMO.  He seemed like a great guy as well, but I guess I have no idea what he was really like.  To me he seemed genuine.  It's sad that there are no longer people, or voices, like his coming up in the ranks.  These days the voice and the professionalism just doesn't seem to matter when the powers that be hire sports telecasters.  I have no idea WTF their criteria is when they look for "talent" in those positions.  It certainly isn't what they used BITD.  I guess that sounds a little "GET OFF MY LAWN"ish - but it is the cold hard truth.  DO I sound bitter?  Well, yeah, I am bitter.  I fizzleing HATE watching sports these days because usually they have some damn amateurish chucklehead calling the contest.  There are a few exceptions, for sure, but they are getting scarcer and scarcer.  /rant over.
Most TV broadcasters have diarrhea of the mouth!  They need to STFU!
and lately they pontificate on and on and on about things other than the game we are watching and often to the point that they MISS plays and action because they are too busy tending to their diarrhea og tyhe mouth issue!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 07:33:24 EDT »

Most TV broadcasters have diarrhea of the mouth!  They need to STFU!
and lately they pontificate on and on and on about things other than the game we are watching and often to the point that they MISS plays and action because they are too busy tending to their diarrhea og tyhe mouth issue!

Oh man it drives me freaking crazy when they blather on and on and miss a play, don't even cover an injury, or never explain what a flag or penalty was.  It happens all the freaking time.  It's funny that I enjoy Peyton and Eli MNF so much - I guess because AT LEAST they are talking about something interesting.  It's as if current sports broadcasters are trying to do a talk show, not a sports broadcast.  If you want to do a talk show, do a talk show. That is exactly what Peyton and Eli do, and  I think that is why they were so successful.  They don't half ass it.

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 08:04:46 EDT »

So many of the great TV sports broadcasters got their start in radio and then crossed over. They developed their voice and personality without the benefit of their audience having pictures to help tell the story and that made all the difference. The decline of radio has been the downfall of sports broadcasting. I certainly wouldn't want to go back to listening to games on the radio, but the quality of broadcasting will never again be the same.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 10:27:29 EDT »

So many of the great TV sports broadcasters got their start in radio and then crossed over. They developed their voice and personality without the benefit of their audience having pictures to help tell the story and that made all the difference. The decline of radio has been the downfall of sports broadcasting. I certainly wouldn't want to go back to listening to games on the radio, but the quality of broadcasting will never again be the same.

This. Spot on. Living outside of the Titans television area (Bengals country) I still enjoy listening to Mike Keith & Coach Mac (Dave McGinnis)... Good opportunity to fiddle & putter listening to the game  I really liked Pat Ryan as Titans color guy. I think they dumped him for Wycheck & sadly Wycheck has CTE pretty bad is my understanding.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 10:37:32 EDT »

And Pat Ryan is the color guy for UT now? Is that right? Might make Blob enjoyable lol. Poor Bob. Nice guy, but he is no John Ward.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 12:33:54 EDT »

I said what I said. 😈

BTW, Dodger Stadium isn’t what it used to be. When I lived out there, it had a cool old school vibe. There were no ads in the entire stadium. The only things you heard over the PA were the announcer and the organist. Today every inch of that place is covered in ads. And they’ve installed that ghetto PA system that can be heard from Palm Springs that they use to blast some of the worst “music” ever recorded.

Seriously though, it IS loud. I can’t even stand to watch their games on TV. I usually have to mute. 😒

Trash. Franchise. 

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 01:19:15 EDT »

Listened to many great games with Vin. He was the greatest game announcer. None better.

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 10:50:25 EDT »

I said what I said. 😈

BTW, Dodger Stadium isn’t what it used to be. When I lived out there, it had a cool old school vibe. There were no ads in the entire stadium. The only things you heard over the PA were the announcer and the organist. Today every inch of that place is covered in ads. And they’ve installed that ghetto PA system that can be heard from Palm Springs that they use to blast some of the worst “music” ever recorded.

Seriously though, it IS loud. I can’t even stand to watch their games on TV. I usually have to mute. 😒

Trash. Franchise. 

I haven't been to Dodger stadium in over 20 years, so I guess it coulda sunk fast in that time.  But I just don't hate the Dodgers anymore.  But the Giants?  I fizzleing HATE the Giants.   

BDV, I bet you talk in you sleep sometimes saying; "I'm gonna kiss you on the lips, Tom Lasorda!"   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: