VTTW Board Index
May 09, 2024, 01:43:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so, what's the fix to this mess?  (Read 3254 times)
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2016, 04:52:21 EDT »

what would you do if you were the incoming AD?

I'm not ready to say that it's time to get rid of Butch, but I would hold him accountable. It's more than obvious that Debord needs to go. He sucks, plain and simple, and he should be fired now. I wouldn't give him the chance to stick around for the rest of the season.

If Butch can do this, then he's doing his job as a head coach. If he can't identify this glaring issue, then he needs to go. I've never played football, but it seems to me that Butch's job is to manage his staff, and it's the coordinators to direct the plays.  If im wrong, just say so

11B4PJ3F7
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 05:35:36 EDT »

The only way to change the offensive scheme is to fire Butch.  This is his offense, and he is going to run this offense come hell or high water.  Doesn't matter who the OC is, he is there as Butch's yes man and seat warmer.  Butch has never run anything different as a head coach and it's all he knows.  He's not going to change the scheme.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 05:38:14 EDT »

The only way to change the offensive scheme is to fire Butch.  This is his offense, and he is going to run this offense come hell or high water.  Doesn't matter who the OC is, he is there as Butch's yes man and seat warmer.  Butch has never run anything different as a head coach and it's all he knows.  He's not going to change the scheme.

"My system is infallible and will work in the SEC." tm Butch Jones.

Debord was a pawn that wouldn't upset Butch's applecart. It's all on Butch Jones.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:11:13 EDT »

It's already been stated many times, but good OC's mold their system to fit the pieces they have.  Look at Bama, seems like every year they go into the season not knowing who their QB will be.  Kiffin has revamped their offense to fit the skillset of a mobile QB.  Yet what Butch is running now is what he ran with Worley.  Just terrible.  What a shame the way the Hurd situation played out.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 07:37:34 EDT »

It's already been stated many times, but good OC's mold their system to fit the pieces they have.  Look at Bama, seems like every year they go into the season not knowing who their QB will be.  Kiffin has revamped their offense to fit the skillset of a mobile QB.  Yet what Butch is running now is what he ran with Worley.  Just terrible.  What a shame the way the Hurd situation played out.
This.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 07:39:44 EDT »

VTTW's worst poster had this to say last year after the OU game. Butch had a weak hand when he arrived, but he didn't maximize it. Now he's got a decent hand, and is squandering it.

---
Good coaching maximizes your advantages, and minimizes weaknesses. I haven't seen that.

1) A veteran OL and pathetic rest of team go to Oregon. We play fast instead of milking the clock. We were going to lose badly, but that tactic assured swift destruction.

2) Peterman starts in Gainesville, and plays almost a half.

3) We're still trying to redshirt Dobbs through all this.

4) Worley is busy running read-option stuff.

5) Ferguson wisely realizes his future is on the bench and bolts.

6) Peterman makes his ill-fated 2014 appearances.

7) Jones is bailed out by Worley's injury.

8) We play fast in the 4th quarter against OU.

I'm not quibbling with play calls. Jones has done a brilliant job recruiting, but has mismanaged fundamental elements of sports...a lot...in just two years. I hope he learns, but that's not typically how it works.

http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=33112.msg161202#msg161202

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 07:55:41 EDT »

VTTW's worst poster had this to say last year after the OU game. Butch had a weak hand when he arrived, but he didn't maximize it. Now he's got a decent hand, and is squandering it.

---
Good coaching maximizes your advantages, and minimizes weaknesses. I haven't seen that.

1) A veteran OL and pathetic rest of team go to Oregon. We play fast instead of milking the clock. We were going to lose badly, but that tactic assured swift destruction.
No, the biggest issue at Oregon was the defensive scheme, one that eventually got Jancek fired (go back and watch what we did with the strong side safety and what Oregon did as a result)

2) Peterman starts in Gainesville, and plays almost a half.

3) We're still trying to redshirt Dobbs through all this.
To be fair, Dobbs had not show squat during practice and frankly didn't play even fair the rest of the year, really played poorly (go see my posts after the MO game)

4) Worley is busy running read-option stuff.
Actually, we ran very little read option with Worley, almost 100% were called RB runs

5) Ferguson wisely realizes his future is on the bench and bolts.
Ferguson has since admitted he made a mistake leaving
You forget that it was Ferguson who was #3 and travelling (Dobbs didn't travel to Gainesville for example) till he was injured (stress fracture) right before the Alabama game and that resulted in Dobbs instead of him playing against bamer

6) Peterman makes his ill-fated 2014 appearances.

7) Jones is bailed out by Worley's injury.

8) We play fast in the 4th quarter against OU.

I'm not quibbling with play calls. Jones has done a brilliant job recruiting, but has mismanaged fundamental elements of sports...a lot...in just two years. I hope he learns, but that's not typically how it works.

http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=33112.msg161202#msg161202

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 08:56:39 EDT »

Jones has done a brilliant job recruiting,

How many of his first recruiting class are still on the roster?  (EDT: Phil just answered this in another thread)

I think you might be surprised at the number.  

This recruiting class is not stellar, by any measure.  Once the "legacy" guys have dried up and the current high school recruits have seen his system recruiting has been in a steady decline.  
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:00:16 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 08:58:23 EDT »

This recruiting class is not stellar, by any measure.  Once the "legacy" guys have dried up and the current high school recruits have seen his system recruiting has been in a steady decline. 

I posted that on Twitter last year and got roasted...to the point that I had to privatize my account for a few days to stop the steady flow of F-bombs and insults. I think more people are starting to realize that part of Jones' recruiting prowess has been smoke-and-mirrors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: