VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 01:05:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I thought the Helfrich to UT rumors sounded like a pipe dream...  (Read 3481 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2017, 01:00:25 EST »

...but maybe they have some legs.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/vols-verge-staff

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 02:31:24 EST »

Yeah when I first heard that I LOL'd.  But... Maybe it's possible.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 02:41:19 EST »

Yeah when I first heard that I LOL'd.  But... Maybe it's possible.   

In 2013, Helfrich's team beat Butch's team 59-14.  If I had told you then that within 4 years, one of these coaches would be working for the other...

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 03:04:48 EST »

In 2013, Helfrich's team beat Butch's team 59-14.  If I had told you then that within 4 years, one of these coaches would be working for the other...

I mean, how in the world we could get him I have no idea.  In retrospect, I still don't know how we got Shoop.  But hey, on paper would you say Helfrich is a "home run"?  I know fans will be excited about such a hire.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 03:13:25 EST »

I mean, how in the world we could get him I have no idea.  In retrospect, I still don't know how we got Shoop.  But hey, on paper would you say Helfrich is a "home run"?  I know fans will be excited about such a hire.

Who knows?  He was the OC for all of Chip Kelly's powerhouse teams at Oregon.  And as a HC, he did reach the NC game and developed a Heisman winning QB in his second year.  But when Kelly's players began to depart, he quickly went downhill.

I think he could be successful as an OC and/or QB coach at UT, but it would depend on how much autonomy Butch allocates him.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 05:50:09 EST »

If you were he would you go somewhere that there is a possibility that the head coach could be fired after next year? 

Just don't see it happening. 

If he does I hope he rents and doesn't buy. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 06:04:54 EST »

If you were he would you go somewhere that there is a possibility that the head coach could be fired after next year? 

Just don't see it happening. 

If he does I hope he rents and doesn't buy. 

Maybe he's just looking for some kind of one off situation as he transitions to his next true destination.  Honestly, I agree with you but I thought the same thing about Shoop last year. 

We'll see, whether it happens or it doesn't...it's the next thing for many folks to obsess about.   
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 06:08:49 EST »

Maybe he's just looking for some kind of one off situation as he transitions to his next true destination.  Honestly, I agree with you but I thought the same thing about Shoop last year. 

We'll see, whether it happens or it doesn't...it's the next thing for many folks to obsess about.   

I think it is a totally different situation from Shoop. 

Everything I hear leads me to believe that Shoop thought Radio was going to get blown out at Vandy after this year and wanted back in the SEC to angle for that job.  But Radio blew up the plan by beating some SEC mid-levels like UGA, Ole Miss, and UT and bought himself another year. 

Shoop gambled, but it didn't pay off, but he still has a million plus job to hang on to. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 06:13:44 EST »

I remember folks were worried we would lose Shoop after one year before he ever coached a game here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: