VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 01:40:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maryville HC George Quarrels moving on  (Read 5142 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2016, 08:13:00 EST »

Will be the OC at Furman.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 09:32:30 EST »

Well, Furman's recruiting just improved by leaps and bounds.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 10:28:02 EST »

Really good man, not to mention being a great high school football coach.  I really enjoyed working as the Maryville radio play by play guy this past fall and getting to know him better.  I had known him prior, but this was the first year I got to spend time with him away from game night.  Just a class act.   One of those "what you see is what you get" guys.  

GQs record is 250-16 in only 18 years as a head coach.  That's just under 14 wins per season, and keep in mind that the maximum games his team could play in a year is 15.

Best play caller I have ever seen in high school.  Just had the knack to know when to attack mismatches.  Not many coaches can say that Steve Spurrier came to visit them to talk offense, but GQ can.  He is that good of an offensive mind.  

Maryville will hire a very good coach either internally or if they go outside.  That program is one of the best 2-3 in the state year in and year out because of the work GQ did there.  

And Furman - those guys don't realize how fortunate they are to get GQ.  He's been offered a lot of college jobs over the years, including the Carson-Newman head coaching position a month or so ago.  I belive that if Furman weren't his alma mater, he would still be Maryville High's head coach this morning.  

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:25:57 EST by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 01:18:12 EST »

Future Vol coach, perhaps.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 03:00:16 EST »

A bigger program than Furman should have made him an OC years ago. He'll do well.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 03:14:40 EST »

Furman's HC resigned last week after a 3-8 season. The new coach was announced today.....Clay Hendrix who was the OC at the Air Force Academy and a Furman Alum.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2016-17/releases/20161219honwpj
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 05:02:57 EST »

Furman's HC resigned last week after a 3-8 season. The new coach was announced today.....Clay Hendrix who was the OC at the Air Force Academy and a Furman Alum.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2016-17/releases/20161219honwpj

Hendrix was one of the assistant coaches on the Furman team that won the D1-AA National Championship in 1988.  George Quarles led Furman in receiveing on that 1988 team.  

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/furman/2016/12/20/george-quarles-maryville-furman-oc-clay-hendrix/95657866/

Go Army - Beat Navy!
JBuck
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 07:04:32 EST »

I realize that going home to your alma mater is an opportunity that someone would want to look at, but GQ going as the tight ends coach seems a bit odd.  Everyone has reported he was their new OC - but that isn't the case.  http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2016-17/releases/20161222e7eebp
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 06:23:40 EST »

I realize that going home to your alma mater is an opportunity that someone would want to look at, but GQ going as the tight ends coach seems a bit odd.  Everyone has reported he was their new OC - but that isn't the case.  http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2016-17/releases/20161222e7eebp

He is coaching TEs and will be the assistant head coach.

Those looking for something sinister in this move are way off base.   He spent 22 years at Maryville, 18 as the head coach.  It's simply a matter of moving on to the next stage in his life and career. 

GQ is a good man, and one heck of a football coach.  Furman is his alma mater.  It's the only college he would have left Maryville for, and yes - he told me that.  He's turned down other college jobs previously, and he turned down the head coaching position at Carson-Newman before Mike Turner was promoted. 

He is leaving the Maryville program in great shape.  The new coach will come from the current staff, and likely will be named this coming week.  The staff will pretty much stay intact with an addition made to take the spot being vacated by the assistant being promoted. 

Maryville returns most of their skill guys, including a QB with mid-major offers right now and both starting RBs.  They played a ton of freshmen on Friday nights this year, several of them starters.  They aren't going to have a major dropoff, as some are predicting.  I've had a couple of coaches from big time 6A programs in Middle Tennessee tell me that Maryville will still be the favorite next year with our without GQ. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 06:32:43 EST »

George Quarles left the program in great shape. I expect Derek Hunt or Mike White to be the head coach. George was a great coach but had a lot of help. I will miss George Quarles the coach. I will miss him the person just as much if not more. My nephew was starting QB on the first Maryville team George was head coach of. Since my nephew was playing at Maryville George has been good to my family. A lot of people don't know this about George is he loves to joke and kid around. You can joke and kid around with him. Every time he saw me at the games he would say 'Didn't think Cheryl(Wife) let you go to games no more"  After he said that he had that cat swallowed the canary grin on his face. After the Bearden game this past season I started giving Quarles a good ribbin. I was teasing him about all those times Maryville was on Rivalry Thursday game that Mark Packer broadcasted. When Maryville was on TV in those games Mark Packer would send sideline reporters Austin Price and Jesse Smithey to interview George during the game. George wasn't crazy about those interviews and they didn't last long.  Now this past season the Rivalry Thursdays games had this pretty young blond sideline reporter named Sara Mitchell. During the Maryville/Fulton game Sara Mitchell interviewed George Quarles during the game. I bet that interview lasted 15-20 minutes.  I asked George how come when Jesse Smithey or Austin Price interviewed you that you would barely talk to them but when Sara Mitchell interviewed you the conversation lasted 20 minutes.  He had that goofy grin on his face and said " I'm not no dummy Ron"
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 05:20:26 EST »

As expected, Derek Hunt, who played QB for GQ at Maryville and has been his right hand man the last several years, has been named the head football coach at Maryville. 

Hunt is a terrific kid and has become a heck of a good football coach in a short period of time. 

Great hire. 

http://www.maryville-schools.org/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=4&ModuleInstanceID=3388&ViewID=047E6BE3-6D87-4130-8424-D8E4E9ED6C2A&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=8688&PageID=1

Go Army - Beat Navy!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 07:10:22 EST »

I went to Heritage, but am pulling for Quarles and Maryville to both do well.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: