VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 02:35:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I had some serious issues with our coaching for much of last night's game  (Read 5114 times)
Creek Walker
« on: November 02, 2014, 04:07:33 EST »

I'll take an SEC road win any day of the week, especially when it's against Spurrier and especially when it's in a thrilling fashion like that one was. It takes guts from players and coaches alike to come back from a two touchdown deficit in the final four minutes of the game, regardless of who the opponent was.

But I would be a hypocrite if I suddenly thought everything was golden just because of what happened the last few minutes of the game, since I spent most of the first 56 minutes complaining. I thought it was a terrible gameplan and in-game coaching by Jancek and his staff. Gotta give the D credit for manning up at the end but our coverage of Pharoh Cooper was inexcusable. For the second consecutive week, we entered a game knowing what the other team was going to throw at us. And not only did they throw it at us successfully, but their star player set a school record in doing so. This defense is just a shadow of the defense we saw the first half of the season. In some cases we're being hamstrung by talent shortcomings and opposing offensive coordinators have found ways to exploit those. But we're also being hamstrung by coaching. On offense, I thought Bajakian was Bajakian. I'm still not convinced his approach will cut it at the SEC level...but he is looking better with a QB who better fits his offense, so the jury is still out on him.

I thought a key moment in the game was in the 3rd quarter. We're 4th and 1 from the South Carolina 28 and rather than go for it, we attempt a 45-yard FG into the wind with a kicker who had just missed a 42-yard FG into the same wind on the same end of the field. On the ensuing series after the missed FG, Spurrier has a 4th and 1 from his own 37, goes for it, gets it, and went on to take charge of the game. I felt like that was a turning point. I've felt for a while that Butch is too conservative. No one wants a Hal Mumme but there's a fine line between taking calculated chances and being a riverboat gambler. You don't always have to play it so close to the vest. Give your players a chance to win the game for you.

Dobbs is light years ahead of where he was at last year. And he seems to be improving with every game, which is encouraging. I'm still not sure he can lead us back into the SEC East race next season or the next, because we're going to have to throw the ball to consistently beat SEC defenses. I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that this was an absolutely porous S.C. defense. Next to perhaps Vandy (and that's a pretty big perhaps) that's going to be the worst defense we face in SEC play this season. I want to see what Dobbs can do against Missouri. But he sure is exciting.

No one talks much about it, but from where I stand the most under-performing unit on this team is receiver...which, oddly enough, was expected to be a strength. Those guys just can't get separation from the coverage. It's probably too soon to blame coaching, but we know there is talent at that position.

Since this post was so negative, I'll close on this note: This offensive line is making big-time strides. Clearly the mobility of Dobbs helps mask and minimize the OL's shortcomings; if Worley had been in there, he would've been sacked a few times. But this OL is gelling and getting better (FINALLY!) and that's very encouraging.

Oh, and Jalen Hurd: Most potential of any Tennessee runningback since...? I want Pirate to break down the film and tell us how many yards after contact Hurd had and how many S.C. defenders were shaken up trying to bring him down. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 04:14:23 EST »

Not only running, on a fly sweep to Pig (to the left in the 3rd) drove drove a guy 5 yards down field before he pancaked him. 
Speaking of pancakes, IMO the holding call on Jackson was bogus as he also drove his guy about 10 yards before pancaking him rather roughly.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 05:21:39 EST »

Agree Creek.....Big win. IMO in some ways our team bailed out some poor coaching decisions last night. It happens.

I couldn't believe the first 42 yarder in the wind.....but when he trotted the FG kicker out again for a 45 yarder in a 20 MPH wind I lost it.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 05:23:00 EST »

Hurd brings an element UT has lacked for several years; he can turn a two yard gain into a four yard gain. For some, that may not sound so impressive, but others they understand the huge importance of that ability. He can keep the chains moving, and that is critical. He keeps the offense on the field, and just as importantly, the opposing offense on the bench.

That ability along with his speed to get the edge and make a long run brings UT a big-time back that they haven't had for several years.

BG
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:08:12 EST »

Yet another indication that reasonable fans can disagree.  I thought the FG was a reasonable call since we had already been stuffed on a fourth down, and since the prior attempt had been close and reasonable expectations were that kicker could adjust based on prior experience.  This one was not as obvious to me as last week, when I thought taking the points was a no-brainer.  I would have been OK either way last night.

This is not to say I did not have issues with coaching.  My issue was Cooper.  If one man is beating you single-handedly, you have got to take him away and force someone else to beat you.  We were outschemed by their formations and motion, and that is where I have the issue.  Wherever Cooper was in the formation, he needed to be doubled, either in man or by rolling the zone.  I know that takes you out of your basic calls and adjustments, but you have to do something.  Doing nothing equals both Coopers setting records against us. 

I never agree with Lou Holtz, but this one time I will admit he made sense when he said that there is absolutely nothing a coach can to please all fans.  You're doing a terrible job when you're playing poorly, but you're also doing a terrible job when you are playing well, because every single play is analyzed, and nobody can stand up to a fan's analysis.

Personally, I think Jones is doing an incredible job given his starting point.  I see the growth.  I see the potential.  I don't see current performance to match fan expectations, and I don't expect to ever see that because I have never seen it since Al Gore invented this wonderful WWW.  Such is the nature of coaching and fans.  Until Dave Hart ponies up the bucks to have fans coach by committee that is.  Then we will have us some fun!

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 07:11:30 EST »

Until Dave Hart ponies up the bucks to have fans coach by committee that is.  Then we will have us some fun!
Not until Dave Hart ponies up the bucks to have even fair internet access that will never happen

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 07:11:50 EST »

Even though it worked out, I still would've gone for two on the last TD and not risked OT.  But I obviously won't complain about the end result.

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 07:47:53 EST »

Even though it worked out, I still would've gone for two on the last TD and not risked OT.  But I obviously won't complain about the end result.

I woudn't have gone for two because even I wouldn't have that much guts, but who would've imagined our D stepping up the way it did in OT? 

Btw, no one has said much about the fumble on the kickoff that followed UT's final TD. If we take over at their 40 with 7 seconds to play, who's to say we don't run a quick play for 10 yards and kick the game-winning FG, avoiding OT altogether? We were on the favorable end of the field for kicking. I'm still flabbergasted why the replay was so short and the referee said the call on the field was confirmed. If the call on the field was confirmed, that means there's video evidence proving he didn't fumble. Which, obviously, there wasn't. Most views made it hard to tell. But there was one view that CLEARLY showed the ball was out before the runner was down. It was a moot point, obviously, but this happens way too often in the SEC.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 07:56:42 EST »

I woudn't have gone for two because even I wouldn't have that much guts, but who would've imagined our D stepping up the way it did in OT? 

For me, it wasn't about guts, but just playing the odds.  The way the rest of the game had gone, I thought our offense had a better chance to score from two yards out than our D did to stop them in OT.  But I'm glad they stepped up and proved me wrong.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 11:01:27 EST »

I was okay with the first field goal...after all, it was 4th and 3 and Medley has been pretty accurate this year, and it's to pad our lead at that point in the game.

The second one was farther out and it was only 4th and 1.  Though as has been pointed out, we had been stopped on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1, given that the FG is likely to miss it makes more sense to go for it there.  Roll Dobbs out and give him a pass/run option, I say.  Of course, if Marlin didn't try to get cute (and thus injured  ), it's a moot (not MUTE, btw  ) point.

As for the coaches....I thought our offense was fine pretty much the entire game.  I also think Dobbs makes this OL look good...not sure they have really improved that much, but hey, I am just glad they look good (well...better) one way or the other!

I admit to being befuddled how Pharoh Cooper kept getting open.  Really there is no excuse for that, and it's the second week in a row this happens.  At least against bammer we tightened up after the first quarter or so (some of which was bammer playing it safe...but not all).  Not sure I have an answer for that. It's a big concern, and I just hope Jancek and company learn from it and do better next game.

Speaking of which, who is UK's leading WR?  Um...let's not let him set a record, okay?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 03:51:56 EST »

It's no secret I have been critical of the offensive coaching and even some of Butch's in game decisions or lack thereof. I still have no faith in Bajakian. That said the game plan has changed to fit Dobbs. It has made things easier for our OL as guys can't just rush and blitz the qb at will without risking something. Our youth and lack of depth is hurting our WR's now. Josh Smith being out has hurt badly. Malone is getting better but still has not learned to be physical enough yet. Croom makes a play here and there but typically only if he is wide open. Hurd has been all we could hope for in a freshman rb, but he needs help badly. I don't like seeing the qb run it 20 times in a game but the truth is we still can't win this year unless he does. My biggest complaint with the offensive coaching this game was running that little flare pass to Hurd a half dozen times. Throwing it to Hurd is a good idea but change the look up on that pass. It set up a good play for TE on the slant but he batted it and it got picked off. I just think we went to well too much with that play and that had a lot to do with us settling for a fg in overtime as they jumped that play for a loss then.

Defensively I think we just saw a coach take advantage of the limitations we still have. Coleman plays hard but he is just not very good against good SEC talent. Spur was not going to throw at Sutton much when he had other match ups. Props to the players and coaches for pulling out a big road win though. Still in shock that we won but I am very happy we tore Spurrier's guts out.

The opportunity to get a bowl game is there now, just have to win.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 04:07:24 EST »

I was okay with the first field goal...after all, it was 4th and 3 and Medley has been pretty accurate this year, and it's to pad our lead at that point in the game.

The second one was farther out and it was only 4th and 1.  Though as has been pointed out, we had been stopped on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1, given that the FG is likely to miss it makes more sense to go for it there.  Roll Dobbs out and give him a pass/run option, I say.  Of course, if Marlin didn't try to get cute (and thus injured  ), it's a moot (not MUTE, btw  ) point.

As for the coaches....I thought our offense was fine pretty much the entire game.  I also think Dobbs makes this OL look good...not sure they have really improved that much, but hey, I am just glad they look good (well...better) one way or the other!

I admit to being befuddled how Pharoh Cooper kept getting open.  Really there is no excuse for that, and it's the second week in a row this happens.  At least against bammer we tightened up after the first quarter or so (some of which was bammer playing it safe...but not all).  Not sure I have an answer for that. It's a big concern, and I just hope Jancek and company learn from it and do better next game.

Speaking of which, who is UK's leading WR?  Um...let's not let him set a record, okay?

They kept motioning Cooper to the slot, knowing our weakest cover guy covered slot.  Watching the replay, when Coleman reacted he covered reasonably well.  Not all of Cooper's catches were against Coleman either, there were at least two catches against the zone. 

Most of the night when in man Coleman seemed to believe that Cooper was going inside but most often Cooper would fake in, Coleman would go inside and then Cooper would move back outside or up, with no one covering him.  On the fly, Cooper just flat beat Coleman, it happens.  My question is why did the safety act the way he did.  We were in single safety.  I don't now which one it was but I suspect it was McNeil as typically that down and distance we were walking Randolph up (see my GR-D post).  In any case, the safety reacted away from Cooper, leaving Coleman with no help over the top.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 08:36:33 EST »

They kept motioning Cooper to the slot, knowing our weakest cover guy covered slot.  Watching the replay, when Coleman reacted he covered reasonably well.  Not all of Cooper's catches were against Coleman either, there were at least two catches against the zone. 

Most of the night when in man Coleman seemed to believe that Cooper was going inside but most often Cooper would fake in, Coleman would go inside and then Cooper would move back outside or up, with no one covering him.  On the fly, Cooper just flat beat Coleman, it happens.  My question is why did the safety act the way he did.  We were in single safety.  I don't now which one it was but I suspect it was McNeil as typically that down and distance we were walking Randolph up (see my GR-D post).  In any case, the safety reacted away from Cooper, leaving Coleman with no help over the top.

They clearly out schemed us.  You can believe Schtoops will be watching that film, and talking to the OBC (OldBallsNCock  )

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 08:49:14 EST »

They clearly out schemed us.  You can believe Schtoops will be watching that film, and talking to the OBC (OldBallsNCock  )

The good news is that Kentucky doesn't have a Cooper at WR, in name or in talent level.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: