VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 03:34:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chuckle  (Read 6293 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2014, 03:39:17 EST »

No flag? 

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 03:51:20 EST »

Their OL and their bench (it was right in front of their bench) were not happy.  There was a bit of a scrum afterwards, mostly posturing.  The SCe fans I was standing next to on the ramp were very unhappy after watching the replay and I guess figured out what I was laughing at after the play (looking through the glasses). 
Also, it looked liked the QB was shaken up on the play, seemed a bit unsteady.

There was a bit of chippiness at times throughout the night.  I posted of one instance between Pig and #1 but they went at it several times during the night and #1 could not cover Pig without holding him.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 03:53:49 EST »

Bad missed call, but if he had not been whining like a little girl all night he might have got the call.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 04:06:18 EST »

I wasn't chuckling at the time! We were EXTREMELY fortunate the game wasn't ended on a penalty right there. You have got to have better discipline in that situation. Hopefully Butch is chewing on some ears about that one.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:11:47 EST »

I wasn't chuckling at the time! We were EXTREMELY fortunate the game wasn't ended on a penalty right there. You have got to have better discipline in that situation. Hopefully Butch is chewing on some ears about that one.

Yeah, they could have flagged both Barnett and O'Brien on that one. I agree with IV though-- if Thompson wasn't crying all night he probably gets that call.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 04:12:25 EST »

Both of them, Barnett for the drag and the DT for the push.

BTW, Barnett was hitting him late and driving him to the ground all night.  There were 3-4 times Barnett could have been called for roughing but wasn't.  Also, he was out of the pocket on this play and a lot of the pansy rules are not enforced.

Barnett has a bit of nastiness in him.  I like it but it must be controlled.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 04:15:32 EST »

Both of them, Barnett for the drag and the DT for the push.

BTW, Barnett was hitting him late and driving him to the ground all night.  There were 3-4 times Barnett could have been called for roughing but wasn't.  Also, he was out of the pocket on this play and a lot of the pansy rules are not enforced.

Barnett has a bit of nastiness in him.  I like it but it must be controlled.

Frankly I freaking love it. We haven't had that nasty physical presence on the DL in a number of years and there's a psychological disadvantage for the QB when he's preparing for that. I hope whatever Barnett has is contagious.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 04:15:47 EST »

Definitely a break for us right there.  

Could have been, should have been, a flag.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 04:29:46 EST »

would have been the game if they had thrown the flag, which they really should have (the drag I wouldn't have, but certainly the shove afterward) called it....of course I'M DELIGHTED they didn't!!! Few things I enjoy more, regarding football, than beating The Old, Old Ball Coach!   
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 04:34:21 EST »

While I think it should've been a flag and I would have certainly been complaining about the no-call if the situations were reversed, it made me laugh to read a long thread on the South Carolina Rivals forum about how the officials "stole" the game from South Carolina because they didn't throw the flag.
Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 04:52:42 EST »

Well, I’m glad it did not get called but seeing how things turned out, it actually bothers me even more. I like a little attitude and aggression but it doesn’t have to lead to stupid penalties. Stupid penalties are always bad and a stupid penalty in that situation is inexcusable. Yes, they need to play with some nastiness but they have to be more disciplined! I don’t know how effective it will be but I hope Jones drives home the fact that that one little moment could’ve cost the team not only the ball game, but a chance at a winning season, a bowl, etc.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 05:15:44 EST »

How that wasn't called, I'll never know. I moaned when I saw it live. I just knew the flag was about to fall. That's about the most blatant unnecessary roughness that wasn't called that I've seen.

Lucky us. 
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 06:40:30 EST »

I agree with how you talk about a few players having a physical presence. But another part of me has to laugh when I see we gave up 600 plus yards. I don't think there was any physical presence in regards to stopping them. Our D got curb-stomped. Luckily their D was more pitiful.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 08:09:46 EST »

Bad missed call, but if he had not been whining like a little girl all night he might have got the call.

That's what I thought also.

The color guy, Jon Stinchcomb (aka John Walton  ) said that Vols were trying for the strip.  I agree, which for you posters above obviously settles the issue.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 12:42:50 EST »

At the time I thought that, like the rest of us, the refs were so shocked that Spurrier would try to pass there that they didn't even think to throw the flag.

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 04:42:02 EST »

That was unnecessary roughness and they were damned lucky it wasn't called..Being aggressive and playing with a chip on your shoulder is one thing,doing something stupid and hurting your teammates and fans and possibly causing your team to lose the game is just flat out unacceptable.. I hope CBJ has "corrected" it so that it doesn't actually cost them in a game later on
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 05:34:04 EST »

That was unnecessary roughness and they were damned lucky it wasn't called..Being aggressive and playing with a chip on your shoulder is one thing,doing something stupid and hurting your teammates and fans and possibly causing your team to lose the game is just flat out unacceptable.. I hope CBJ has "corrected" it so that it doesn't actually cost them in a game later on
I think AJ corrected it on the spot, looking at the replay.

Jancek did on the sideline:
-- Jancek said he was concerned that star freshman defensive end Derek Barnett would get a roughing the passer penalty when he twirled South Carolina quarterback Dylan Thompson around on a sack that ended the Gamecocks’ last full drive of regulation and made sure Tennessee got the ball back for the game-tying drive.

“I was looking for that little yellow thing,” Jancek said. “... I know that he got caught up in the emotion. It was a huge play, it was a huge stop. As soon as he got to the sideline, I said, ‘Man, you can not do that.’ He said, ‘What?’ I said, ‘What do you mean ‘what’? You spun the guy around.’ ... He was good. He understood once we were able to get him calmed down and explain it to him.”
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:18:34 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: