VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 09:36:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk about the recent offensive success  (Read 4538 times)
generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:50:04 EST »

I said on here a few weeks ago that the offense would not have success without some changes being made. I said that if that didn't happen then this coaching staff, specifically Bajakian, would find themselves unemployed eventually. (Note, I was not referencing that potential outcome as happening this year or even next year.) Well, some changes happened and there has been success. It is exactly what I was hoping to see. Dobbs has made a ton of difference and it's extremely noticeable. They are still running the same base stuff, but what they are doing out of it, QB running, etc., has been tweaked and it's working. I hope it continues and those minor tweaks give me hope that it can, something I was lacking a few weeks ago.

Lots of credit to Dobbs for making this thing run, too. His mobility has been refreshing, and I don't just mean his running down field. His movement in the pocket looks good so far. That TD pass to Croom to tie the game was a phenomenal job by him of working the pocket and moving with his protection. I'm super excited in what I've seen from the players recently and doubly happy to see the coaching staff answer the most pressing concerns that I saw as well as they have the last couple of weeks.

You see, I'm perfectly capable of giving credit where it is due. Great job recently by everyone associated with team. Hope we all get to see that continue for this season and beyond.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 03:59:02 EST »

Amen. Just ready for the long nightmare to end.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 04:12:59 EST »

Dobbs has done some great things the last two games but perhaps the best work he's done is to completely rebuild the confidence of his offensive linemen. He has taken the pressure off of them-- they no longer have to think "if I screw this up we have a negative play or a turnover," because that's no longer automatic. Dobbs's mobility in the pocket and running ability has allowed the OL to just go out there and play football. Just hit somebody and do your job as best you can, because there's a guy behind you that will make you look amazing. It's just a completely different mental approach when you don't have to worry about so much riding on every block you make.

One sack allowed and 505 rushing yards in 7 quarters. Some of that is Dobbs himself, but that OL is just playing much, much better now that the pressure is off.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:20:21 EST by Clockwork Orange » Logged

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 04:15:43 EST »

Dobbs has done some great things the last two games but perhaps the best work he's done is to completely rebuild the confidence of his offensive linemen. He has taken the pressure off of them-- they no longer have to think "if I screw this up we have a negative play or a turnover," because that's no longer automatic. Dobbs's mobility in the pocket and running ability has allowed the OL to just go out there and play football. Just hit somebody and do your job as best you can, because there's a guy behind you that will make you look amazing. It's just a completely different mental approach when you don't have to worry about so much riding on every block you make.

One sack allowed and 605 rushing yards in 7 quarters. Some of that is Dobbs himself, but that OL is just playing much, much better now that the pressure is off.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 04:32:17 EST »

One sack allowed and 505 rushing yards in 7 quarters. Some of that is Dobbs himself, but that OL is just playing much, much better now that the pressure is off.
On the 4th down screen pass to Hurd for a TD Jackson was 10-15 yards down field making a block that knocked down the last defender that could have made a plan.  Good hustle and effective block.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 07:06:02 EST »

I would agree that the lack of pressure has helped the OL, but another thing that has helped them as much as anything is the front 7 now have to be a bit more cautious in their play or they will give Dobbs rush lanes. It helps give them just that little bit of an edge they did not have earlier and as we can see it makes a huge difference especially on the road when noise keeps the ol from hearing the qb much of the time.
Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 12:59:17 EST »

I would agree that the lack of pressure has helped the OL, but another thing that has helped them as much as anything is the front 7 now have to be a bit more cautious in their play or they will give Dobbs rush lanes. It helps give them just that little bit of an edge they did not have earlier and as we can see it makes a huge difference especially on the road when noise keeps the ol from hearing the qb much of the time.

Hubbs talked about this on the Zone this morning. Dobb's run threat actually causes the D to hesitate a little. They're waiting to see what Dobbs will do. This has to make it easier for the O-line... 
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 01:34:59 EST »

Good point as many defenses scheme that way with a running threat at QB. They attempt to close down those running lanes in the middle, and try to contain him and not let him outside where he has the option to run or throw.

BG
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 03:59:16 EST »

Hubbs talked about this on the Zone this morning. Dobb's run threat actually causes the D to hesitate a little. They're waiting to see what Dobbs will do. This has to make it easier for the O-line... 

That's exactly right.....a split second hesitation can make all the difference in the world in the run and passing game. With Worley not being a run threat and have a one back set....The defense could pin back their ears. Can't do that much anymore.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 03:43:31 EST »

That's exactly right.....a split second hesitation can make all the difference in the world in the run and passing game. With Worley not being a run threat and have a one back set....The defense could pin back their ears. Can't do that much anymore.

Exactly. Which was a big part of my problem with the staff. We were bound and determined to run some sort of spread with a non running qb and a weak OL. Those slow developing runs to Hurd just got destroyed much of the time because of penetration. Now they have to set back a little and it gives more time for those plays to work. Now they have to honor the run game which makes play action a viable option now where it was just ignored by the defense before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: