VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 06:59:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow, if THIS is the best Florida can do...  (Read 5007 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2014, 02:33:26 EST »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--colorado-state-coach-jim-mcelwain-a-leading-candidate-for-florida-job-011656592.html
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 03:28:37 EST »

Good coach IMO......and we just went 0fer with the coach they just fired. So does it really matter? 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:17:33 EST »

Good coach IMO......and we just went 0fer with the coach they just fired. So does it really matter? 

Yeah, it does.  I don't think this guy would be a cultural fit at UF.  Of course, I want it to turn out very badly for them as we make our comeback.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:14:52 EST »

I've watched Colorado State play for years going back before Sonny Lubick.....McElwain has them playing better than they've played in many years.
Live Orange
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 03:19:52 EST »

Yeah, it does.  I don't think this guy would be a cultural fit at UF.  Of course, I want it to turn out very badly for them as we make our comeback.

Vinnie, I'm curious to know why you don't think he would be a cultural fit? In addition to Colorado State he's coached at Louisville, Fresno St, Michigan State, and Alabama. On the surface he looks to be a much better fit than Corch Meyers was.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 04:15:29 EST »

Vinnie, I'm curious to know why you don't think he would be a cultural fit? In addition to Colorado State he's coached at Louisville, Fresno St, Michigan State, and Alabama. On the surface he looks to be a much better fit than Corch Meyers was.

Because of tweets I saw referenced on the VS by @FootballScoop:

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop  3m3 minutes ago
Earlier tonight @YahooForde reported that Colorado State HC Jim McElwain is a leading candidate at Florida. My thoughts...

Mac is a very good head coach. He also is very happy where he is. He just signed an extension a few months ago (including a $7.5M buyout).

Staff is suited for recruiting Colorado and the surrounding area very well. Not Florida very well. Would have to build entirely new staff.

There are a lot of excellent football coaches out there that just aren’t the right cultural fit. Mac is a western type guy.

He loves it out there. Do see him growing within the profession but I don’t see him as the next head guy at Florida. Just don’t see it.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 05:29:43 EST »

I love coaching searches!  Everyone has "sources".  A report last week said "sources" were told Freeze had been offered and what the salary was.  Today, another story comes out that says "sources" say the McElwain is the top choice and the AD and him have been in contact over the weekend. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 05:38:31 EST »

Don't what type of personality McElwain has, but if he isn't an abrasive a$$ he won't get the job.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 05:52:45 EST »

I just know UF fans were probably hoping for a "splash" hire.  And to be honest, I halfway expected them to make a relatively big splash.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 06:11:27 EST »

Doc Holliday at Marshall has better Florida connections than McElwain does as far as recruiting....though I would be surprised to see them hire Doc.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:22:12 EST by Tnphil » Logged
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 07:14:04 EST »

The Dooley guy at Dallas would be a good catch for the gators!
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 10:14:40 EST »

Foley screwed the pooch hiring Muschamp. If he is going to pay this guys 7.5 million buyout, it had better be a home run hire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: