VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 06:07:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So 2015- most anticipated season at UT since, what, 99?*  (Read 7969 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2015, 12:39:21 EST »

Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 12:42:54 EST »

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 01:20:57 EST »

2 more years and we can compete for the East.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 01:27:36 EST »

2 more years and we can compete for the East.

If things come together (specifically, the OL progresses, the secondary finds at least one more cover corner, and Dobbs takes the next step in his development), we can compete for the East next year.  I mean, who in this division looks definitively better next season?  But we're probably looking at two years before we can win an SECC and/or contend for the playoffs.

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 01:32:55 EST »

If things come together (specifically, the OL progresses, the secondary finds at least one more cover corner, and Dobbs takes the next step in his development), we can compete for the East next year.  I mean, who in this division looks definitively better next season?  But we're probably looking at two years before we can win an SECC and/or contend for the playoffs.

Agree. I'm not going to be a bit surprised if UT doesn't win the East next season, but there's no reason this team shouldn't be expected to be in contention for a trip to Atlanta. None. UT fans should expect it. We get two of the top three teams in the East in our place, and the team we face on the road is undergoing a coaching transition.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 01:44:29 EST »

Agree. I'm not going to be a bit surprised if UT doesn't win the East next season, but there's no reason this team shouldn't be expected to be in contention for a trip to Atlanta. None. UT fans should expect it. We get two of the top three teams in the East in our place, and the team we face on the road is undergoing a coaching transition.

yep

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 02:02:13 EST »

I won't go so far as to say I expect to win the East- but it's certainly a realistic goal, and that hasn't been the case for a long time.  

In fact, as I look at the schedule right now, nine months out, at bammer is the only game I see as a sure loss at this point.  And even there...bammer started 8 seniors on offense this year, and Yeldon and Cooper are juniors who are likely off to the NFL.  So they're looking at a total rebuild on that side of the ball.  That game may not be as beyond reach as we think.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:05:49 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 02:10:24 EST »

I can't wait until next year!  I'd forgotten how much fun it was to win (and dominate) a bowl game.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 03:23:30 EST »

I would say since 2005. The season sucked but we were expected to be very good.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 03:42:53 EST »

how many OL we have as early enrollees? I expect our OL to be vastly improved next year with a year of experience under their belt, and I thought they looked much better against Iowa, but we still need the depth to endure a long season without fatigue and injuries wreaking havoc. Also what about the RBs, we definitely need depth their too....Hurd is a beast but I think the beast cannot survive another full season like this without help.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 05:22:20 EST »

Patience, Grasshoppers.  We're not there yet.  Still a good ways to go. 

Certainly steps forward are being taken, but lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 05:50:35 EST »

I won't go so far as to say I expect to win the East- but it's certainly a realistic goal, and that hasn't been the case for a long time.  

In fact, as I look at the schedule right now, nine months out, at bammer is the only game I see as a sure loss at this point.  And even there...bammer started 8 seniors on offense this year, and Yeldon and Cooper are juniors who are likely off to the NFL.  So they're looking at a total rebuild on that side of the ball.  That game may not be as beyond reach as we think.

I don't expect to win the East, either. But I expect this team to be in contention for the East, and IMO that isn't unreasonable.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 05:53:19 EST »

I don't expect to be in Atlanta until 2016....but I definitely feel we'll contend next year.  I think we'll be playing a lot of freshmen again next year and we are still going to be a very young team.....But I loved, loved, loved the bowl game.    Sure does make one get excited about what's coming the next few years!!   

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 06:31:21 EST »

I expect 7-8 wins next year, but we'll be competitive and maybe even threaten for the East.

Unfortunately the schedule doesn't get a ton easier. We still play Bammer and pick up Arkansas from the West. They're quickly improving, though at least that one is at home.

Fortunately, it's not much easier for our primary competition in the east either.

* UGA plays Alabama (home) and Auburn (road).

* Mizzou plays Mississippi State (home) and Arkansas (road). Probably the easiest schedule they could get but still not a breeze.

* UF plays Ole Miss (home) and LSU (road).

* SC plays LSU (home) and A&M (road).

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 07:04:39 EST »

I expect 7-8 wins next year, but we'll be competitive and maybe even threaten for the East.

Unfortunately the schedule doesn't get a ton easier. We still play Bammer and pick up Arkansas from the West. They're quickly improving, though at least that one is at home.

Fortunately, it's not much easier for our primary competition in the east either.

* UGA plays Alabama (home) and Auburn (road).

* Mizzou plays Mississippi State (home) and Arkansas (road). Probably the easiest schedule they could get but still not a breeze.

* UF plays Ole Miss (home) and LSU (road).

* SC plays LSU (home) and A&M (road).

Plus 1.  Pretty much how I see it, as well.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 09:27:22 EST »

Patience, Grasshoppers.  We're not there yet.  Still a good ways to go. 

Certainly steps forward are being taken, but lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet. 
Agreed....2016 is the year I expect us to comptete for the east.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 05:58:35 EST »

I would have to say yes. And there have been some really anticipated seasons since '99. I think some of the Claussen and Ainge years were highly anticipated and ended up being kind of a let down. I think this upcoming season could be real nice schedule wise.

volsboyinsodak
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 06:03:46 EST »

I would have to say yes. And there have been some really anticipated seasons since '99. I think some of the Claussen and Ainge years were highly anticipated and ended up being kind of a let down. I think this upcoming season could be real nice schedule wise.

2002, 2005, and 2008. We thought we would be title contenders in all three of those years and lost 5, 6, and 7 games respectively.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 06:19:36 EST »

2002, 2005, and 2008. We thought we would be title contenders in all three of those years and lost 5, 6, and 7 games respectively.

2002 might've lived up to the hype, but that team had the worst run of injuries I can ever remember.  They did well just to make a bowl game. 

Upon further review, we probably shouldn't have placed such high expectations on the 2005 bunch.  That 2004 team won a LOT of nailbiters and had some pretty good luck.  They could have easily lost 7-8 games themselves.  Those things tend to even out over time, and it surely happened the next year.

I don't remember there being THAT much hype in 2008.  Coming in to that season, I for one didn't think that was a championship caliber team- but I certainly expected better than 5-7.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 08:34:22 EST »

2002 might've lived up to the hype, but that team had the worst run of injuries I can ever remember.  They did well just to make a bowl game. 

Upon further review, we probably shouldn't have placed such high expectations on the 2005 bunch.  That 2004 team won a LOT of nailbiters and had some pretty good luck.  They could have easily lost 7-8 games themselves.  Those things tend to even out over time, and it surely happened the next year.

I don't remember there being THAT much hype in 2008.  Coming in to that season, I for one didn't think that was a championship caliber team- but I certainly expected better than 5-7.

I just remember feeling really, really good about every position on the field besides QB . . . and feeling that either Crompton or Coleman was going to get the job done there. I don't think my expectations were as high then as they were for 2002 or 2005 though.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 12:50:23 EST »

well that, or Clausen fumbling 4-6 times against the gators.  Definitely a game where Fulmer's reluctance to bench starters just flat killed us.  I don't care who was behind him, put him in and let him hand the ball off, it could not have been any worse.

Completely agree...we had a ton of luck in 2004 and it reversed in 2005

It was a cautious optimisim.  Depended on how well Crompton did, but he had started a few games and was a highly rated recruit.  He completely screwed the pooch, but it wasn't all him as he proved his senior year.  Switching OC's 3 times up to that point (from Sanders to Cut to Clawson) probably had a good deal to do with it, in retrospect

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: