VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 05:40:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: With Helton-to-WKU apparently on the verge of happening...  (Read 3716 times)
Creek Walker
« on: November 26, 2018, 04:46:00 EST »

...and Hugh Freeze definitely interested in the Tennessee OC job, what say you? Hire the man or no?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 04:52:06 EST »

No. After we stood our ground on Schiano last year, we would be absolutely dragged through the mud if we cheered that hire.

Kingsbury.

Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 05:02:49 EST »

I don't suppose there are varying degrees of moral high ground, and you're probably right...but I can justify hiring an assistant with a shady past much more easily than I can justify hiring a head coach with a shady past. To be clear, I don't think Tennessee will go after Freeze. If it were just his personal issues and his infinity for call girls, maybe. But throw in the recruiting improprieties and I don't think Fulmer would touch that situation with a 10-ft. pole.

But, boy, talk about an instant upgrade...
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 05:08:33 EST »

Klingsbury is my pick, too. I sincerely hope Pruitt is already making the call and not planning to promote Will Friend.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 05:09:29 EST »

Freeze would be an instant upgrade. I think he's slimy, but am ambivalent about the news cycle.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 05:23:06 EST »

I'd take Freeze today and help him move his family to Knoxville....One great offensive mind. But it won't happen but someone in the SEC will hire him before long such as Auburn.

Just don't think Kingsbury and Pruitt would mesh on what Pruitt wants as far as offense. It would be a good hire though.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 05:30:08 EST »

I don't look at Freeze the same way as Schiano at all.  I'd take Freeze all day long.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 05:35:40 EST »

I'd take Freeze today and help him move his family to Knoxville....One great offensive mind. But it won't happen but someone in the SEC will hire him before long such as Auburn.

Just don't think Kingsbury and Pruitt would mesh on what Pruitt wants as far as offense. It would be a good hire though.

I don't see how Kingsbury and Freeze are very different, system-wise. Both spread you out and run a lot of no-huddle. If Pruitt is dedicated to the pro-style, he wouldn't be compatible with either.

I think they're basically the same guy. Except one has baggage, and one doesn't. That makes it an easy choice for me.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 05:43:18 EST »

I don't see how Kingsbury and Freeze are very different, system-wise. Both spread you out and run a lot of no-huddle. If Pruitt is dedicated to the pro-style, he wouldn't be compatible with either.

I think they're basically the same guy. Except one has baggage, and one doesn't. That makes it an easy choice for me.

Freeze's teams were very good at running the football....Kingsbury not so much.....he was more of that throw it all over the yard and put up 40 plus points and hope you win. It's the Big 12 way. But like I said it would be a good hire. He's a Mike Leach disciple.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 05:50:14 EST »

According to Austin Price, Joe Osovet (our quality control coach) is on the recruiting trail today.  He is, I think, also a possible replacement for Helton.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 12:12:53 EST »

Whoever we get, they need to be a proven quantity. In hindsight, it was a big mistake to hire two coordinators who had never called plays at the P5 level.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 12:24:40 EST »

Whoever we get, they need to be a proven quantity. In hindsight, it was a big mistake to hire two coordinators who had never called plays at the P5 level.

I agree, but I also think that it was neccessary at that moment as Pruitt had to assemble a staff very quickly.

Also, I don't see either Kingbury nor Freeze as legit candidates. Freeze for obvious reasons, and I think that Kingsbury wil go to the pros

11B4PJ3F7
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 12:37:16 EST »

Word going around is Kingsbury is the top target as OC at UNC for Mack Brown. That's going around.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 12:39:29 EST »

Word going around is Kingsbury is the top target as OC at UNC for Mack Brown. That's going around.

There's also a rumor that Maryland is on the verge of hiring bammer OC Locksley as their HC, and that Saban would then go after...Kingsbury. Say your prayers.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 01:38:35 EST »

I don't suppose there are varying degrees of moral high ground, and you're probably right...but I can justify hiring an assistant with a shady past much more easily than I can justify hiring a head coach with a shady past. To be clear, I don't think Tennessee will go after Freeze. If it were just his personal issues and his infinity for call girls, maybe. But throw in the recruiting improprieties and I don't think Fulmer would touch that situation with a 10-ft. pole.

But, boy, talk about an instant upgrade...
An infinity for call girls?  That sounds exhausting!  And you should be careful talking about Fulmer's "pole" in the next breath.   

Sorry couldn't resist.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 01:42:19 EST »

Here is what I think.  The standard for an assistant can be different than that for an HC.  Heck, Saban hired Lane, right?  I also do think doinking a few hos is not as bad as condoning child abuse, but .... that was never proven in Schiano's case while Freeze was caught dead to rights.  But having said that, I dislike relative moralism, let's just admit they are both sleazy.

Thus I return to my original argument...Freeze is just an assistant and can be kept in line and/;or fired by the HC.  In short he is expendable and can be kept on a short leash.  Saban was quick to get rid of Lane Kiffin when the "Joey Freshwater" stuff came out.     Though I think Saban just got sick of Lane, period.

Anyway, I could live with it.

I think another reason that Freeze is more acceptable to our fanbase at large though, is that he's jus a good ole boy and not a dam yankee.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: