VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 01:02:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basketball starts tomorrow @ Xavier  (Read 3951 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2013, 03:44:30 EST »

Tough opener, on the road. A win is huge. Your thoughts on this year's team? I think it's a very talented and deep team with a lot of offensive and defensive playmakers. I can see three guys on this team that have an NBA future. CCM needs to have an excellent year.

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:01:59 EST »

This is without a doubt the season that tells the tale on Cuonzo. The last two seasons have had periods where it seemed like he was in way over his head and periods where it seemed like he was a genius. I agree with the general consensus -- this team has Sweet Sixteen type talent. Winning the SEC isn't out of the question. Cuonzo doesn't have to do those things to keep his job, of course, but I'm not sure I agree with the common sentiment that he just needs to make the tourney to keep his job, either. If we're a bubble team with 19 or 20 wins and just barely skate in, it's going to be viewed as a disappointment, IMO.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:20:57 EST »

Final Four or bust!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:41:23 EST »

Beat KY twice. Good year.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:29:11 EST »

The talent is there but it will all depend on how they gel together. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 06:41:14 EST »

Tough opener, on the road.

Is it? Xavier wasn't very good a year ago, though they were making tournaments annually prior to that.

I mean this is a better test than many season openers you'll see in basketball, but this is a game we should be counting as a W if this UT team is as good as it should be.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 07:09:52 EST »

Beat KY twice. Good year.
If we beat them twice, the 2nd time will be in the SEC tourney

We only play them once in the regular season now

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 07:19:11 EST »

That would be even better. Sucks they don't play twice. Dang these big-assed conferences anyway.

volsboyinsodak
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 07:31:57 EST »

Is it? Xavier wasn't very good a year ago, though they were making tournaments annually prior to that.

I mean this is a better test than many season openers you'll see in basketball, but this is a game we should be counting as a W if this UT team is as good as it should be.

a road opener vs a perennially good team. It's a tough test. We have yet to prove anything.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 07:55:16 EST »

a road opener vs a perennially good team. It's a tough test. We have yet to prove anything.

I just think a loss in this game would reveal a whole lot more than a win.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 08:23:10 EST »

I just think a loss in this game would reveal a whole lot more than a win.

See I disagree. It's the first game, in a tough road environment. I don't think a loss would mean as much as a win. A loss means we're not quite gelled as a team yet, it's the first game, and it's on the road. A win means we won against a team with some pretty good talent, on the road, on the first game. Could boost the confidence of the team and the fans.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 01:47:39 EST »

I'm waiting for our first poor shooting night, just to see which hack columnist will be the first to crack wise about the basketball team adopting Butch's "Brick By Brick" mantra.  My money is on Mark Weidmer here at the TFP. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: