VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 10:05:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New transfer. Safety from Ohio State  (Read 1005 times)
SmokeyJoe
« on: May 02, 2022, 11:19:20 EDT »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/tennessee/.amp/football/breaking-vols-land-ohio-state-transfer-db-turrentine
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 11:36:17 EDT »

Or he may be a corner back. Not sure.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 12:34:16 EDT »

Definitely  a position of need for us

Of that list of dbs, I only recognize Flowers and McCullough 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 12:45:02 EDT »

Definitely  a position of need for us

Of that list of dbs, I only recognize Flowers and McCullough 
Christian Charles started the Mizzou game and got injured in the first series (I think on the play he missed the pick).  He got a lot of time at corner in the spring due to lack of warm bodies
Tamarion McDonald, Cheyenne Labbruzza, Warren Burrell, Brandon Turnage, Kamal Hadden, and Doneiko Slaughter all played last year
Turnage had the good game when Theo was hurt
Burrell played, a LOT including at least 2 starts
Hadden played a lot towards the end of the season (he was the one that allowed the long 4th down gain for a 1st down late in the game)
Slaughter has played quite a bit the last two seasons
Labbruzza is a body, needs to develop more for more PT

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 12:48:43 EDT »

C&P from tos

After entering the NCAA transfer portal last week, Andre Turrentine didn’t need long to decide on a new home. He quickly realized that he wanted to go home.

The Ohio State redshirt freshman defensive back announced Monday morning that he has committed to Tennessee, giving the Vols a former four-star, in-state prospect to upgrade their secondary. The former standout at Ensworth High School in Nashville, Tenn., said he heard from more than 40 schools almost immediately after he entered the transfer portal, but he didn’t take long to settle on Tennessee.

“I felt Tennessee was just right for me,” Turrentine told GoVols247 before publicly announcing his decision. “It checked all the boxes that I was looking for, and it just felt like home — well, not felt like home. It is home.

“I’ve already been down there multiple times. I’ve been down there (with) the old staff, with the old, old staff, (and) with the old, old, old staff. It’s nothing new for me. But looking at what Tennessee has going now, it looks like there’s finally some stability there and a promising future and productivity going on there.

“They’re getting better every year, and I want to be a part of it. I want to be on board. Of course, it’s too late, and I’m hoping to kick my career off at Tennessee at home. What better place to do it?”

After redshirting last year, the 5-foot-11, 195-pound Turrentine has four remaining seasons of eligibility. He will join former Ensworth teammate Wesley Walker, a Georgia Tech transfer who committed to Tennessee in March, in transferring to Knoxville after the spring semester.

The Vols were one of Turrentine’s top four choices, along with Alabama and LSU, when he committed to Ohio State coming out of high school. He’s now headed back to his home state.

“It feels very, very storybook,” he said. “That’s kind of how you would want your life to be, how you envision things, and it’s played out that way — not always in the way you want it to and when you want it to. But, overall, it has been like that.

“It is crazy to think, almost a year later, getting a call from my former teammate saying that there’s opportunities there, and there are opportunities and a spot where I can not only play with my teammates, and there already is a family halfway built there. It’s just crazy to think how fast it all happened, and also how impactful it already is on my life and my family and myself without even being up there.”

Tennessee coach Josh Heupel’s staff, led by Heupel himself and defensive coordinator Tim Banks, made it clear to Turrentine that he could compete for immediate playing time in the Vols’ secondary, although he didn’t make much of an impact on the field during his lone year at Ohio State.

“Usually, guys kind of say what you want to hear,” Turrentine said. “They want you to come to their school or want you to buy into their program, so they just say whatever they think, whatever they feel that would get you there. But with UT, Coach Heup just kept it real with me. He painted out the vision for me with where he saw that I fit into the school and where he saw that I fit into his program and his defense — and, not only that, his secondary and where I’d fit into the family, as well. And he didn’t even have to tell me that for me to feel that. I felt that before.

“As far as the defense goes, and the secondary and where I fit, I’m looking to come in and compete for a starting job, and me and Wesley are on the same mission. We’re coming both to come in and compete for a starting job, and play alongside each other and become a real problem in the SEC.”

-Callahan
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 12:49:49 EDT »

He played in 106 snaps in the spring game....Came out of spring listed as 3rd on the depth chart.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 12:56:16 EDT »

Don't we have a cb transfer from Georgia Tech still not here, or is he already here?
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 01:03:28 EDT »

Don't we have a cb transfer from Georgia Tech still not here, or is he already here?

Wesley Walker is his name. No idea why he isn't here yet...
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 03:53:43 EDT »

Good. We need all the help we can get back there.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 03:58:25 EDT »

He played in 106 snaps in the spring game....Came out of spring listed as 3rd on the depth chart.

Sounds like exactly what we need!  Hope it works out.

Note to Pirate...now that I think about it, I have heard the name Burrell before, but only occasionally.

IMO we could use another portal transfer or two at DB, but at least it has improved.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 06:12:49 EDT »

Sadly....as bad as our defense was a 3rd stringer at OSU should probably start here.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 10:58:30 EDT »

Agree with Phil and Bandit. We need any help. Joe also asks an interesting question. I thought the kid from GT would be here.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: