VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 03:19:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: With Dobbs, we might've beaten UF and UGA  (Read 2047 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2014, 08:47:54 EST »

...but I still wish we could've kept him redshirted.  This was going to be a so-so season with or without him.  He wouldn't have changed the results against OU, OM, or bammer.  But in 2017, when our chances at a National Title may depend on our QB play, we'll probably wish we still had him.  So all of you masters of hindsight need to take the long view on this.  

That said, now we have burned his redshirt, we need to maximize what's left of THIS season.  7-5 is within reach, and that should get us to something better than a bottom tier bowl game.  The buildup to our return to prominence in 2015-16 begins now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:51:34 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:14:24 EST »

I'm still not convinced Dobbs has the throwing ability or decision-making ability to be an elite SEC quarterback, but I'm hoping like heck that he proves me wrong. I certainly would've never guessed at this point last season that he would become the gutty playmaker he's already proven to be.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 09:30:19 EST »

His accuracy could use some work, and sometimes he makes poor decisions throwing the ball (the pick last night was just bad).  But those can be improved with some offseason work/film study.  And with everything else he brings to the table, the impact of those mistakes can be minimized even when they DO happen.  I thought his decision-making on the read option plays was brilliant. 

One thing we've yet to really get a feel for is his improv skills.  For all the good he did the last two games, it was mostly within the confines of the offense.  Neither bammer nor SC ever really made him uncomfortable.  It will be interesting to see what he does when things break down.  That's when some mobile QBs (Manzeil, RG3) are at their best, and that's what can separate the good mobile QBs from the elite

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:35:09 EST »

His accuracy could use some work, and sometimes he makes poor decisions throwing the ball (the pick last night was just bad).  But those can be improved with some offseason work/film study.  And with everything else he brings to the table, the impact of those mistakes can be minimized even when they DO happen.  I thought his decision-making on the read option plays was brilliant. 

One thing we've yet to really get a feel for is his improv skills.  For all the good he did the last two games, it was mostly within the confines of the offense.  Neither bammer nor SC ever really made him uncomfortable.  It will be interesting to see what he does when things break down.  That's when some mobile QBs (Manzeil, RG3) are at their best, and that's what can separate the good mobile QBs from the elite
The only time that SCe came close to him he stepped up and rifled a pass to Pig for a first down.  I expected mustard to come flying off the ball was so hot.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 10:52:47 EST »

The only time that SCe came close to him he stepped up and rifled a pass to Pig for a first down.  I expected mustard to come flying off the ball was so hot.

I think Wolf dropped a couple that were too hot...but should have caught IMO.

As for his accuracy and decision making ability...those are two things that come with experience.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: