VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 06:09:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riddle me this  (Read 8871 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2012, 01:32:56 EST »

Why the hell did Jones want to get out of Cincinnati so bad?
Apparently the Ky job was his for the taking (that should tell you EVERYTHING about this hire), he was within hours of taking the Colorado job (another clue bat about this hire) and he essentially begged for this hire.

Bottom line, the spiral will continue.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 01:45:41 EST »

Sad day.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:50:18 EST »

He turned down Kentucky. Didn't even interview. How is that a sign that he wanted out of Cincinnati?
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 02:00:40 EST »

Was hoping for something different, but with that being said we could have done alot worse...........he is an improvement from Dooley.....................he has done a good job for Cinncinnati and Central Michigan...................................................................

Why the hell did Jones want to get out of Cincinnati so bad?
Apparently the Ky job was his for the taking (that should tell you EVERYTHING about this hire), he was within hours of taking the Colorado job (another clue bat about this hire) and he essentially begged for this hire.

Bottom line, the spiral will continue.

Plus he actually wanted to come here it sounds like, so ...................I don't see the problem??

Go Big Orange.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 02:13:18 EST »

The thing that troubles me is Jones' ceiling at Cincy was three loses. That's fine if he took over for an idiot, but he didn't. If we were going to roll the dice on upside I'd rather have gotten Mullen or Freeze.

I'll go on record as saying Jones is a step up, but not the step I'm looking for. Dooley left the program in good shape so hopefully Jones will as well. I'm giving him two years given the quality program he's receiving.

Oh yeah, and this will sink season tickets.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 02:13:30 EST »

Was hoping for something different, but with that being said we could have done alot worse...........he is an improvement from Dooley.....................he has done a good job for Cinncinnati and Central Michigan...................................................................

Plus he actually wanted to come here it sounds like, so ...................I don't see the problem??

Dooley wanted to be here as well ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 02:19:44 EST »

He turned down Kentucky. Didn't even interview. How is that a sign that he wanted out of Cincinnati?

UK and Colorado being after him is a sign of what level of coach he is. You didn't see Auburn and Arky go after him

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 02:27:13 EST »

UK and Colorado being after him is a sign of what level of coach he is. You didn't see Auburn and Arky go after him

Exactly.  Unreal.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 02:30:08 EST »

One of my UT co-workers has been screaming for Notre Dame's DC (Bob Dibiaco) as a fallback. I think he's right. Fire Hart.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 02:32:16 EST »

Um, Auburn just hired Gus Malzahn. In what world is that a better hire than Jones? Either of them may excel or flop as a head coach in the SEC. And UK pursuing him means absolutely nothing. UT pursued Gruden and had no chance at him. What's the saying -- "make them say no"?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 02:32:37 EST »

According to Rucker you are not correct, "Multiple sources close to the Kentucky program said Jones initially accepted an offer to coach the Wildcats before turning them down in the end, and he cited potential interest from UT as at least part of the reason for that decision. Jones then interviewed with Purdue and Colorado but ultimately turned down both jobs"

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 02:33:44 EST »

I put as much stock in what Rucker says as I put in what Tony Basilio and Clay Travis say. Nearly every other report says that Jones turned down an opportunity to interview at UK.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 02:36:32 EST »

Um, Auburn just hired Gus Malzahn. In what world is that a better hire than Jones? Either of them may excel or flop as a head coach in the SEC. And UK pursuing him means absolutely nothing. UT pursued Gruden and had no chance at him. What's the saying -- "make them say no"?

Malzahn knows Auburn and is considered a very innovative offensive mind and playcaller. In fact, I'd say they won a NC partly because of him

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 02:48:02 EST »

Malzahn knows Auburn and is considered a very innovative offensive mind and playcaller. In fact, I'd say they won a NC partly because of him

I'd be more excited about Malzahn than I would about Jones, but at least Jones does have six years of running a football program under his belt. It remains to be seen whether Malzahn will succeed as the main guy.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 02:49:41 EST »

I'd be more excited about Malzahn than I would about Jones, but at least Jones does have six years of running a football program under his belt. It remains to be seen whether Malzahn will succeed as the main guy.
True enough but the track record for Jones IMO is not good, especially at Cinti

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 02:57:27 EST »

According to Rucker you are not correct, "Multiple sources close to the Kentucky program said Jones initially accepted an offer to coach the Wildcats before turning them down in the end, and he cited potential interest from UT as at least part of the reason for that decision. Jones then interviewed with Purdue and Colorado but ultimately turned down both jobs"

Pirate, I will say this. Rucker is wrong on that. I am close to the situation on what happened with Jones and UK. He was definitely UKs #1 choice but he never even considered UK. Did not even interview. Was not interested.

He was, however, set to take the Colorado job, but UT called. UT initially had not shown him any interest.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 03:00:30 EST »

Jones' recruiting classes were better than Kelly's.  He looks like an exciting, fiery guy.  Maybe not the rock star everyone wanted but I am willing to give him a chance.  Welcome to Knoxville ~ bring Tee home.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 03:00:50 EST »

Pirate, I will say this. Rucker is wrong on that. I am close to the situation on what happened with Jones and UK. He was definitely UKs #1 choice but he never even considered UK. Did not even interview. Was not interested.

So you are saying you are being assimilated into the Ky program??

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 03:01:48 EST »

Jones' recruiting classes were better than Kelly's.  He looks like an exciting, fiery guy.  Maybe not the rock star everyone wanted but I am willing to give him a chance.  Welcome to Knoxville ~ bring Tee home.
But did nothing with them, was in fact still using Kelly's players

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 03:07:12 EST »

So you are saying you are being assimilated into the Ky program??

I follow what they do. I have no choice
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 03:15:33 EST »

Everybody needs to at least give Him a honeymoon period of two seasons. We did that for Derek Dummy and CBJ is a large step up from Him!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
101stDad
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 03:37:06 EST »

Do what?  Which part of Cam Newton left, Cam Newton right, and Cam Newton up the middle was innovative as a playcaller? 

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 03:48:09 EST »

Program has nowhere to go but down since they were bypassed for ACC.  Big East is now CUSA at best.  I actually admire his guts, turning down KY and Colorado, word all along around here was that he was waiting for shot at Louisville job if Strong went.  His strategy worked even better than he expected.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 03:51:03 EST »

Malzhan's offense at Auburn in 2011 (without Newton) was ranked #104 in the nation. This love affair with Malzhan is mystery to me.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 05:16:57 EST »

I put as much stock in what Rucker says as I put in what Tony Basilio and Clay Travis say. Nearly every other report says that Jones turned down an opportunity to interview at UK.

Yes.  Why go to Kentucky?  Definitely a step down from Cincy! 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: