VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 03:17:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report  (Read 4333 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2013, 04:22:46 EDT »

First this will be negative
2nd, it was great meeting O&B and SWG again.  These gentlemen are always good hosts.

OL:  got abused.  Tiny was abused all afternoon, especially by #6.  The 2nd fumble i believe was his fault.  Add a penalty and there you go.  The right side played better, especially in the 2nd half.  James had an excellent play on a screen. 

RB:  Neal ran hard, played well, picked up at least one blitz.  Lane not so much

WR: hit and miss on blocking.  Some tend to settle into their zone and become stationary, but given the way our QBs throw I can understand.  The problem is the defenders aren't stationary.

QB: both didn't get it done.  Peterman was hopefully forgettable.  Worley hit some open receivers but to give you one example of hitting #8 in spite of himself North broke free down the East sideline when the corner dropped him to the safety.  I had time to notice the above, checked that the safety was not coming over quickly and turned back to Worley, WHO STILL HAD THE FREAKING BALL!!  Pig scored on the same route that Worley had missed, BADLY, earlier.  He darn near got the TE killed and missed badly on other passes. Peterman has better timing on screens.  Both held onto the ball too long.

DL:  inconsistent.  The ends got good rush but on most occasions did not contain.  The tackles rarely got a good rush but when they did were effective.  Got gashed on the counter in the 2nd quarter but corrected at half time.  The ends got hooked a lot.

LB:  Sapp and Brewer played well.  AJ had his moments but I still believe that Brewer would be a better choice in the nickel.  The backups played reasonable well in limited opportunities.

DB:  Randolph played well.  Early with Driskel in the game he was essentially playing LB.  corners kept getting sucked inside and leaving the corner open.   Sutton has a good recovery.  Made a nice play on a cover he was initially beaten on.

Coaching:  2nd game in a row that I was disappointed with the defensive staff scheme wise
Say what you will about Peterman starting but it was clear that Worley was having issues (still is) and now we know the backup does as well.

Where do we go from here I don't know but till we can find a QB that can run any offense we are in serious trouble.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 04:27:14 EDT »

Good writeup.

Sapp and Brewer did play well, and I was impressed with Neal's effort. James also did a good job in space.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:05:39 EDT »

AJ doesn't get his credit...he's not made to play sideline to sideline but is having to because of not much supporting cast around him. He's made to be a run stopping MLB, he's being asked to do things he's not made for. He doesn't have much around him.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:13:18 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 05:12:57 EDT »

MLB in a 4-3 has to be able to get from sideline to sideline. I think he is doing that some better this year but still he lacks a step being able to cover it well.

AJ doesn't get his credit...he's not made to play sideline to sideline but is having to because of not much supporting cast around him.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 05:14:59 EDT »

MLB in a 4-3 has to be able to get from sideline to sideline. I think he is doing that some better this year but still he lacks a step being able to cover it well.

He doesn't have the supporting cast he needs around him... he's about the only defensive playmaker we have out there right now....Period.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:17:40 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 05:27:54 EDT »

AJ doesn't get his credit...he's not made to play sideline to sideline but is having to because of not much supporting cast around him. He's made to be a run stopping MLB, he's being asked to do things he's not made for. He doesn't have much around him.

AJ made some really nice plays today.  We need more like him.

No, he doesn't cover well, but if so we need to scheme around that.  Let Brewer handle the TE, slot, or RB out of the backfield...hes a converted saftey.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 02:23:53 EDT »

AJ made some really nice plays today.  We need more like him.

No, he doesn't cover well, but if so we need to scheme around that.  Let Brewer handle the TE, slot, or RB out of the backfield...hes a converted saftey.
he is a bit better chasing sideline this year but he is a liability in pass coverage IMO. Even in a zone, watch how Brewer and Sapp cover their areas vs how AJ does.

BTW, last week we seemed to play a more Tampa 2 two deep scheme at times.  If you haven't deleted it go back and watch AJ.  Oregon was going West.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 02:26:25 EDT »

He doesn't have the supporting cast he needs around him... he's about the only defensive playmaker we have out there right now....Period.
disagree.
Yesterday a QB knocked him back about 5 yards.  He is making way too many tackles from behind.  He gets blocked way too easily and is slow to come off of the.  I like AJ and he will hit you but ...

Randolph is our best playmaker on defense IMO.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 02:26:58 EDT »

Bingo

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 02:33:34 EDT »

BTW, Vareen played well in his first action and has the potential to be our best pass rusher in a long, long time.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: