VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 05:15:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fizzle missouri anyway  (Read 688 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2023, 12:57:05 EST »

Coach running his mouth

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/2023/11/11/eliah-drinkwitz-tennessee-game-defense-kicked-their-butt/71553466007/

First of all, he's right.  Their defense did whip our asses.  But here are some thoughts for him

1. He looks like a fizzleing rodent.  Was his mother a chip monk? I think so.
2. No matter how satisfying this was to him. we still hung 60+ on his wannabe team the last two years.
3. They are coming to Neyland next year. As they proved this year, payback is a beyotch!
4. USC Junior was crowing about their win last year.

All of which is to say, I am looking forward to our game with them next year already.

Also looking forward to not having to look forward to payback games. 

Hopefully?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 04:14:11 EST »

Unfortunately we DON?T play them next year. Which is probably why he?s getting mouthy.

10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 05:30:32 EST »

Unfortunately we DON?T play them next year. Which is probably why he?s getting mouthy.

Have they figured out the NSEW pods yet?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 06:25:20 EST »

If so they haven?t announced it. We know nothing schedule-wise beyond next season. And even next season, we only know the opponents, not the dates.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 01:59:46 EST »

Yeah I forgot we don't play them next year.  Dam. 

Interestingly the series is now tied 6-6.  Thank you Dooley Jones and Pruitt    (note...on the field Pruitt was actually 2-1 vs. Mizzou...go figure  )

Regardless, WWFDT next time in Knoxville

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 02:01:11 EST »

As for next year, I am curious what the tie breakers will be for the championship game. I am sure head to head is the first, but the division record was always the 2nd tie breaker.  Tie breakers will matter a lot with it being the top two teams.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 02:01:19 EST »

A couple of things:
They can't even decide on  the number of games (to me 9 is the only number that makes sense)
Pods went away a year ago, at least
There will be probably 3 teams we play every year and "most likely" they will be KY, Vandy and bamer
But even that is up in the air

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 02:38:51 EST »

I have been reading lately that the 1-7 model might be the most likely scenario. From what I have read, our likely only yearly opponent would be Vandy. Under that model, every team plays a home-away with all SEC teams in a four year cycle.

I personally like the 3-6 model better, but right now it seems that the SEC does not want to move to nine conference games unless they get paid for the extra game(s).
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 03:24:33 EST »

I have been reading lately that the 1-7 model might be the most likely scenario. From what I have read, our likely only yearly opponent would be Vandy. Under that model, every team plays a home-away with all SEC teams in a four year cycle.

I personally like the 3-6 model better, but right now it seems that the SEC does not want to move to nine conference games unless they get paid for the extra game(s).

I was thinking 1-7 would not work...but it actually does.  15 other teams, same opp +7x2 rotating means all 15 opponents in a 4 year cycle as you say.

That would be better than the current setup, IMO, but totally agree that 3-6 is better.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 03:32:58 EST »

According to this, next year's schedule was based on win % of opponents.  Interesting...I don't think that has ever happened before

https://www.secsports.com/article/37854660/sec-reveals-2024-football-opponents-locations

The SEC Championship Game will feature the two top teams in the Conference standings at the end of the regular season.

So yeah, we all know that, but still curious about the tie breakers.  Obviously SEC record is what counts, likely followed by head to head.  But what if there are three 11-1 teams, and two of them have not played each other?  How does that work?  Maybe combined head to head record among the three? 

It most likely will matter at some point, maybe even next year.

Or one team that is 8-0 in the conference and two at 7-1 who have not played each other is a better scenario.  What the second tie breaker (after head to head) is could be crucial.  Maybe overall record followed by ranking in the playoff system, or maybe ranking in the playoff system is right after conference record.

Anyway, they are going to have to do something...eventually if not right away, that situation is going to occur I think.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 03:44:10 EST »

I was thinking 1-7 would not work...but it actually does.  15 other teams, same opp +7x2 rotating means all 15 opponents in a 4 year cycle as you say.

That would be better than the current setup, IMO, but totally agree that 3-6 is better.
One of the setups for the 9 game slate is that every player that goes 4 years plays a game against each SEC school.

Also, I think it was every 6 years to visit each SEC stadium, something for us fans.

BTW, next year Texas will be the only SEC stadium I have not vistited at least once
I visited OU when we played them in the stripped stadium game (led to Checker Neylland)
Every other SEC stadium I have been to at least 2 times (Starkvegas and CoMo), all others 3 or greater

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 03:47:09 EST »

One of the setups for the 9 game slate is that every player that goes 4 years plays a game against each SEC school.

Also, I think it was every 6 years to visit each SEC stadium, something for us fans.

BTW, next year Texas will be the only SEC stadium I have not vistited at least once
I visited OU when we played them in the stripped stadium game (led to Checker Neylland)
Every other SEC stadium I have been to at least 2 times (Starkvegas and CoMo), all others 3 or greater

I am the same, but the only visiting stadiums I have been to multiple times are:

Tuskalooser x2 (Legion Field x 6!)
Gainesville x 3
Oxford x 2 (plus a game vs Ole Miss in Memphis in 1990)

Every other stadium ...just once.  I was also at Norman in 2014.  We kept it closer than I thought we would.

So yeah, Austin is on the list for me also.  :-)

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2023, 04:01:40 EST »

I am the same, but the only visiting stadiums I have been to multiple times are:

Tuskalooser x2 (Legion Field x 6!)
Gainesville x 3
Oxford x 2 (plus a game vs Ole Miss in Memphis in 1990)

Every other stadium ...just once.  I was also at Norman in 2014.  We kept it closer than I thought we would.

So yeah, Austin is on the list for me also.  :-)
Yeah, remember now, you were in the mid section, East stands

Yeah, 2 games at Legion Field (one in the Pride in 1973)
One game with Ole Miss in Jackson in 1973 (in the Pride) and multiple (non Liberty Bowl) games in Memphis

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2023, 04:10:29 EST »

According to this, next year's schedule was based on win % of opponents.  Interesting...I don't think that has ever happened before

https://www.secsports.com/article/37854660/sec-reveals-2024-football-opponents-locations

The SEC Championship Game will feature the two top teams in the Conference standings at the end of the regular season.

So yeah, we all know that, but still curious about the tie breakers.  Obviously SEC record is what counts, likely followed by head to head.  But what if there are three 11-1 teams, and two of them have not played each other?  How does that work?  Maybe combined head to head record among the three? 

It most likely will matter at some point, maybe even next year.

Or one team that is 8-0 in the conference and two at 7-1 who have not played each other is a better scenario.  What the second tie breaker (after head to head) is could be crucial.  Maybe overall record followed by ranking in the playoff system, or maybe ranking in the playoff system is right after conference record.

Anyway, they are going to have to do something...eventually if not right away, that situation is going to occur I think.
Under previously normal circumstances, I would expect that one possible tie-breaker might be the record against higher ranked conference opponents. With the 12-team playoff upon us, though, I think the SEC office will put the higher seeded teams in the CFP rankings in the title game in order to try to ensure multiple teams in the playoffs.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2023, 06:00:16 EST »

Not playing a 9 game conf sched is just plain stoopid.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: