VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 12:36:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, for better or worse...  (Read 4159 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:41:25 EST »

I think this team is going dancing.  And you know what?  If they continue to shoot like this and defend like this, they can do some damage when they get there.  Might as well support them.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:08:42 EST »

Yep.....Of course I fully expect us to lay that Big Orange egg in the SECT and have us fans biting our nails come selection Sunday.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 12:13:09 EST »

Yep.....Of course I fully expect us to lay that Big Orange egg in the SECT and have us fans biting our nails come selection Sunday.

This UGA/LSU game on right now is pretty big for us.  If LSU beats them, we get the 3 seed and the double bye that goes with it.  That would at least probably mean that we wouldn't have to play any of the sub-200 teams in this league that torpedo their opponents' SOS before the game even tips off.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 12:46:41 EST »

UGA is up by 9. WTF kind of bizarre team are they? 3 seed in SECT. Not mentioned for NCAA. Who knows maybe they win SECT lol
VOLcrazi
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 12:52:47 EST »

i  have DirecTV by the way
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 12:57:16 EST »

So assuming UGA holds on here, we're the 4 seed.  Arkansas would play the Aub/SC winner on Thursday, and we'll get the winner of that one on Friday.  So- probably Arkansas.  They've been red hot up until today, when they got clubbed at bama.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 12:59:02 EST »

i  have DirecTV by the way

Fox Sport south for me- but it's pretty much over now anyway.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 01:02:28 EST »

UGA is up by 9. WTF kind of bizarre team are they? 3 seed in SECT. Not mentioned for NCAA. Who knows maybe they win SECT lol

Not unprecedented.  Two years ago, we were the 2 seed in the SECT, and we didn't go the NCAA.  And I think we were a 2-3 seed last year, too.

The funny thing is, I don't think our team this year has had nearly as good a season as the last two, but this team is likely going dancing, where the previous two didn't make it.  Just shows how weak the field is this year.

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 03:20:22 EDT »

All this comes as Barton finds his stroke again. Also in at least two of those games, McRae has had "off" night shooting.  Imagine what the season could have been if Barton  had played like this all year long! The FR PG is good but lacked an offensive skill set so we were playing 5 on 4. However with Barton playing like this we have 5 scores that can beat teams different ways. You double down on the big men and Barton and McRae can make you pay. You play straight up and our bigs can hurt you.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 06:47:37 EDT »

Not unprecedented.  Two years ago, we were the 2 seed in the SECT, and we didn't go the NCAA.  And I think we were a 2-3 seed last year, too.

The funny thing is, I don't think our team this year has had nearly as good a season as the last two, but this team is likely going dancing, where the previous two didn't make it.  Just shows how weak the field is this year.

Hm, well I thought we were a bit better each year.  It turns our our SEC record is identical to last year...11-7 in the SEC  and 20-11 overall in the regular season, but last year we were 6th in the SEC and this year we are 4th.   So there is some truth to the "field is weaker" point.  At the same time, I feel like this recent run is  stronger than last year's late run, and definitely the best  stretch of the Cuonzo era.

As for two years ago, we were definitely a bit worse..  18-13 in the regular season and tied for 2nd with a 10-6 SEC record. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 07:04:28 EDT »

Hm, well I thought we were a bit better each year.  It turns our our SEC record is identical to last year...11-7 in the SEC  and 20-11 overall in the regular season, but last year we were 6th in the SEC and this year we are 4th.   So there is some truth to the "field is weaker" point.  At the same time, I feel like this recent run is  stronger than last year's late run, and definitely the best  stretch of the Cuonzo era.

As for two years ago, we were definitely a bit worse..  18-13 in the regular season and tied for 2nd with a 10-6 SEC record. 

But in our late runs the past couple years, we actually beat some pretty good teams- UF, UK, etc.  This season, our last really good win came in December against UVa.  Granted, we're steamrolling people right now, but we really haven't beaten anyone of note in the SEC (and really, UF is the only quality team in the league this year).

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 03:54:06 EDT »

But in our late runs the past couple years, we actually beat some pretty good teams- UF, UK, etc.  This season, our last really good win came in December against UVa.  Granted, we're steamrolling people right now, but we really haven't beaten anyone of note in the SEC (and really, UF is the only quality team in the league this year).

I agree. This season is less "impressive" (I use that term loosely obviously given how impressive the last two seasons were) of the three, yet this year we're likely going to the dance. College basketball is just really weak in general right now.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 10:19:23 EDT »

Yeah but as you point out, there isn't anyone to beat!  I would say Missouri is about the 4th or 5th best team in the league (FWIW) and we dominated them.

It's more than just the scores though, there is a flow to the team that I haven't seen in the Cuonzo Martin era previously.  Like the offense is no longer painful to watch, lol.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: