VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 06:30:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone explain this?  (Read 391 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2023, 07:23:03 EDT »

Athletic revenue rankings for the academic year just completed. Why are we so far down on this list? I can see how some these schools would be ahead of us, but Michigan State? Virginia? Indiana? I have questions.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 07:24:37 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 04:58:22 EDT »

I cannot. I wonder if it has something to do with accounting for the buyouts, and other accounting type finagling? Probably not, but certainly seems odd.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 01:16:55 EDT »

I have tracked this off and on....not that long ago top revenue across the country was 100M to 120M, and UT was in the top ten.  It looks to me like we have increased, but not as much as some other schools.  I started tracking this 10-12 years ago, and my guess would be that lack of success in football contributed to lower revenue from tickets, merchandise and particularly donations.  All are included...TV revenue is generally the biggest followed by donations, then tickets + merchandising was a close third.

There is actually a hot link that shows about 20 years and breaks it down.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/221759

So they lump merchandising and TV revenue together for about 55% of the total while donations and ticket sales are about 20% each, and student fees/misc about 5%.   TV revenue is down, which makes me think our share of the NY6 applies to 2023, since it was technically on NY Day???  Just a guess.  Good news, we were up $22 million from the previous year.  

I recall that in 2012, when we had revenue of $102M, we were top 10 if not top 5.  So again, my guess is due to lack of success in football, we just haven't kept up with the extraordinary growth of the last 10 years.

That should be changing...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 01:18:47 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 01:24:38 EDT »

Just for grins, I compared to bammer.  They got ~ 10M more in contributions, ~18M more in ticket sales, ~5M more in rights/licensing, ~10M more in "other" and a whopping ~ 17M more in "school funds".  Which begs the question..is that even revenue? if the school is providing it?  

Regardless, overall they have ~ $60M more, and about half that comes from tickets and contributions, with almost half more from "other/school funds".  Only $5M more in licensing/rights.  

So it does pay in contributions and ticket sales to have a very successful program, obviously.  Curious about the ~ 27M in school funds/other though.  

Meant to post the link

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/100751

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: