VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 09:25:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UT's "SECN Takeover" is Saturday, but the schedule is underwhelming...  (Read 2596 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2016, 02:07:14 EDT »

Not sure why they'd show the 1997 SECCG twice.  Yeah, we won, but we played like hot garbage. 

Time (ET)   Sport   Programming
Midnight   Football   Georgia vs. Tennessee (Oct. 10, 2015)
3 a.m.      Nine for IX: Pat XO
4 a.m.   Football   SEC Rewind 1997 Tennessee vs. Auburn (Dec. 6, 1997)
6 a.m.   Women’s Basketball   Tennessee vs. Ohio State (March 25, 2016)
8 a.m.   Men’s Basketball   Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt (March 10, 2016)
10 a.m.      SEC Storied: The Color Orange
11 a.m.   Baseball   Tennessee vs. Georgia Tech (June 11, 2005)
1 p.m.      VFL Films: 2016 Signing Day Recap
2 p.m.   Football   SEC Rewind 1997 Tennessee vs. Auburn (Dec. 6, 1997)
4 p.m.   Softball   Auburn vs. Tennessee (May 1, 2016)
6 p.m.   Men’s Basketball   Kentucky vs. Tennessee (Feb. 2, 2016)
8 p.m.   Football   2016 Outback Bowl: Northwestern vs. Tennessee (Jan. 1, 2016)
11 p.m.      SEC Storied: The Color Orange

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 06:17:48 EDT »

It's weird because they (ESPN not SECN)  showed that a few years ago also for no apparent reason.   Maybe Peyton draws in opposing fans? 

I would rather see the 1998 MNC, but maybe SECN focuses on purely SEC vs SEC games?  If so, it's probably better than the 1998 SECC game, and we unfortunately have not won any since.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:36:16 EDT »

It's weird because they (ESPN not SECN)  showed that a few years ago also for no apparent reason.   Maybe Peyton draws in opposing fans? 

I would rather see the 1998 MNC, but maybe SECN focuses on purely SEC vs SEC games?  If so, it's probably better than the 1998 SECC game, and we unfortunately have not won any since.

I know it was a close game, and we won a championship, but that one is hardly in my rotation of must-see Vols games.  If I want to see guys drop a thousand passes, I'll go down the street and watch some peewee ball.  I remember remarking to my roomate during the game that it almost looked like our WRs were point-shaving.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:57:28 EDT »

I know it was a close game, and we won a championship, but that one is hardly in my rotation of must-see Vols games.  If I want to see guys drop a thousand passes, I'll go down the street and watch some peewee ball.  I remember remarking to my roomate during the game that it almost looked like our WRs were point-shaving.

I was there in person with my old flame from Chattown, one of the better dates I've been on.     I remember turning to her at the half and saying "given how much we have turned the ball over, they should be ahead by a lot more than this".  So my impression all along was that we made a bunch of turnovers up to halftime and then played better.  Then it came on in 2013, for some reason right after Butch beat SOS (I guess they put on games by teams that just had a big win?  ), and I noticed that we had a TON of turnovers in the second half as well.  So that theory went out the window. 

There may well have been point shaving, because I also noticed that Au could not run the ball worth a shizzle.  Their entire offense was "Batman" running around and heaving the ball downfield (Damon whathisface).   We should have blown them out by a wide margin.  Fulmer did tend to underperform at times, but he was still a vast improvement over Johhny in that category.

Another thing that stands out from that game...look at the players on sidelone.  Close cropped hair, no visible tats or nose rings.  My how things change!  By about 2002, most NCAA football teams went from looking like a military unit to resembling an Amazon tribe.   

I really don't get the tats and nose rings.      

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 06:47:32 EDT »

I enjoyed the UT/GaTech baseball game from super regional. 

Proof that UT can have a competitive baseball program. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 01:56:14 EDT »

I enjoyed the UT/GaTech baseball game from super regional. 

Proof that UT can have a competitive baseball program. 

That was really our last meaningful win.  11 years ago.  Sheesh.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 05:26:39 EDT »

That was really our last meaningful win.  11 years ago.  Sheesh.

Yep.  Sad, isn't it? 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: