VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 02:49:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wide Receivers last year  (Read 5638 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2016, 11:43:13 EDT »

It's very true that our WRs have under-performed two years in a row. I'll give Butch and company a pass in 2013 because we were very unsettled at QB, had a strong run game, and at least North seemed to emerge as a go to WR.  But 2014 was disappointment, and last year even more so.

Having said that, I did read that with Pig being dismissed after being mostly suspended, North mostly hobbled by injury (which with Jones attitude to injuries was very difficult to tell at times  ), and Croom also being injured, we lost 3 of our top 4 WRs back from the previous year for the great majority of the season.  Yes, we had talent behind them, but realizing the extent of losses does make me feel better about our prospects for this year.

Let me be clear...even with all the losses WR should have been more productive last year, but losing 3/4 of the top guys coming back also cannot be dismissed as a non-factor. 

Additionally we had a new OC and Dobbs continued to struggle with accuracy.

Bottom line...I have been pessimistic about the WRs (and thus passing game) going into this season, but if our guys at least stay healthy they are bound to improve tremendously.  The injuries and suspension can't explain last year completely, but they definitively made it worse.

Put it this way...there is almost no way the WRs won't be much better this year, even if that's a pretty low bar.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:10:23 EDT »

If Dobbs can improve his accuracy, it would help a lot.  Last year, even when he threw a completion, he usually didn't hit them in stride, limiting their YAC.  But maybe all the injuries played a role there as well.  Now that he's had a full offseason to practice with these guys, hopefully they'll get their timing down better. 

One thing is for sure- as well as we run the ball, they should see plenty of 1 on 1 matchups out on the edge.  To compete for anything more than the East, they have to win those matchups consistently.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 01:02:01 EDT »

100% agree.  Regardless how talented receivers are, gotta throw it where they can catch it, and let them do something with all that talent.  We will soon find out how productive this summer has been in the throw and catch department.  My number one concern this season is can we throw when we have to throw.  However talented we are, we absolutely cannot be one dimensional.  We have to be able to throw the ball in crunch time.

If Dobbs can improve his accuracy, it would help a lot.  Last year, even when he threw a completion, he usually didn't hit them in stride, limiting their YAC.  But maybe all the injuries played a role there as well.  Now that he's had a full offseason to practice with these guys, hopefully they'll get their timing down better. 

One thing is for sure- as well as we run the ball, they should see plenty of 1 on 1 matchups out on the edge.  To compete for anything more than the East, they have to win those matchups consistently.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 01:25:19 EDT »

A lot of the issues with us whiffing on WR recruits lately is our past history with lack of production with that position group under Butch. I've heard Butch say for 3 seasons that we need to improve in that area and have yet to see it. If I can see it so can the recruits and so can the coaches recruiting against us.

Our passing game beyond the dink and dunks has been downright comical.....in a keystone cop way.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 11:40:01 EDT »

I believe next year with Dormady under center, there will be a lot more people
smiling with our down field passing production. The "mobile" QB will be a major
regression but the hitting targets in stride and long balls will be back where
we as fans love it to be.  This is not a knock at Dobbs  whatsoever, where his
downfield action may not be exciting to most, he makes up the difference with
his dangerous running ability.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 11:59:02 EDT »

I believe next year with Dormady under center, there will be a lot more people
smiling with our down field passing production. The "mobile" QB will be a major
regression but the hitting targets in stride and long balls will be back where
we as fans love it to be.  This is not a knock at Dobbs  whatsoever, where his
downfield action may not be exciting to most, he makes up the difference with
his dangerous running ability.
One problem, I don't think Domady is the QB next year

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 12:43:38 EDT »

I think you may be right.  And it's not that he's lacking- I think he'd do a great job.  I just think JG is that much better.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 12:44:28 EDT »

He might start the season but Gitmo will most likely finish it.

FYI....I've been told Jones has come a long way.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 01:11:06 EDT »

Ok, ok...i did that dangerous thing  called "assume"  that Dormady will be
starting QB.  If some one comes in and outshines him, great!  I feel  good
about our future at QB no matter who has the job!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:39:54 EDT »

What was the name of the guy that was featured on ESPN as a HS student, and then was our "QB of the future", who eventually transferred?

Hm, I can't even recall.  There is a lesson in there somewhere....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 05:33:18 EDT »

JMO, but the WRs will only get better when Dobbs shows he can be accurate downfield and can hit them in stride of when Butch/DeBord can shake the risk-adverse play calling and trust play-makers to get the job done. I believe defenses demonstarated last year as the season progressed that UT was NOT going to go downfield and were only going to WR screens, dump-off to RB, or short throws. Was it because Dobbs-WRs could not do it in practice? Was it Butch will not take risks because he thought the running game could win it? Is DeBord too old to remember the game includes passing? Who knows. Butch will never tell because he only talks in parables and coach code. Every good coach does. I just want to see a little imagination and surprise and less running from Dobbs before he gets broken.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 06:06:20 EDT »

I saw a crazy stat that made me say Hmmm. Last year Bama's top receiver(Ridley) had more catches and yards than ALL of UT's receivers combined. That is hard to imagine.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:35:58 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 09:57:43 EDT »

I saw a crazy stat that made me say Hmmm. Last year Bama's top receiver(Ridley) had more catches and yards than ALL of UT's receivers combined. That is hard to imagine.

I could believe that.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 11:44:59 EDT »

Not at all surprising, but also exacerbated by injuries and the expellation of Pig Howard.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: