VTTW Board Index
April 30, 2024, 11:16:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm gonna be a daddy next Wednesday, the 17th  (Read 17722 times)
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 05:41:53 EDT »

Scheduled C section.  

Congrats, Vinnie.  I hope you have everything glued or nailed down because your world is about to be turned upside down.

BTW, all three of my girls came via C-section.  Just some advice from one dad to another that has faced that......do everything you can to allow her to do nothing else but concentrate on being a mama.  You probably already knew that, but it is worth stating. And understand the emotional state she will be in during the whole process.  It can be stressful, especially if she is breast feeding and the kid ain't catching on quickly.  Hang in there.  No doubt you will be a great dad.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 07:43:46 EDT »

"It can be stressful, especially if she is breast feeding and the kid ain't catching on quickly"

I will second this....

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 10:17:22 EDT »

Hey Vinnie........tick..tick..tick...tick.......  
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 10:45:57 EDT »

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 01:18:38 EDT »

Congrats, Vinnie.  I hope you have everything glued or nailed down because your world is about to be turned upside down.

BTW, all three of my girls came via C-section.  Just some advice from one dad to another that has faced that......do everything you can to allow her to do nothing else but concentrate on being a mama.  You probably already knew that, but it is worth stating. And understand the emotional state she will be in during the whole process.  It can be stressful, especially if she is breast feeding and the kid ain't catching on quickly.  Hang in there.  No doubt you will be a great dad.

A nurse friend of mine said that playing the "suck suck suck" scene from Spaceballs where Skroob and Company are sucking out the air from Planet Druida is a good scene to help with that problem. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 06:54:09 EDT »

I am sure that by now you have settled down and are as calm as you ever have been.

LOL!   

Look at it this way...at least it's not a haunted house. 

Hang in there.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 07:19:52 EDT »

This is the longest day ever!  :-/
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 07:33:03 EDT »

This is the longest day ever!  :-/

There is nothing like being a father... but take the time to savor today. The hours leading up to my kids being born were some of the most exciting times of my life. ESPECIALLY the first one because it's all so new and breathtaking.

The first time you see your child and the first time you touch your child will be moments that you will NEVER forget. I get tears in my eyes whenever I think about those moments. And it helps to think about those moments when your kids are being bad years later. 

Seriously... every so often over the next few months take 5 minutes to breathe and think about what you are experiencing because you will blink and the baby days will be over and you will be sending your kid to their first middle school dance. 

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 07:39:22 EDT »

There is nothing like being a father... but take the time to savor today. The hours leading up to my kids being born were some of the most exciting times of my life. ESPECIALLY the first one because it's all so new and breathtaking.

The first time you see your child and the first time you touch your child will be moments that you will NEVER forget. I get tears in my eyes whenever I think about those moments. And it helps to think about those moments when your kids are being bad years later. 

Seriously... every so often over the next few months take 5 minutes to breathe and think about what you are experiencing because you will blink and the baby days will be over and you will be sending your kid to their first middle school dance. 

Ditto. For me, the tear-inducing moment was when, on the non-messy side of the curtain, we heard our baby's first cry. It is an undescribable moment.

Oh, Vinnie, that does make me think of one piece of advice.  You will be beside your wife's head, with a curtain blocking the 'scene'. If you stand up or look over the curtain to see the baby's head or any other time, DON'T LOOK DOWN.  I have a strong stomach, but when the Doc said I could look up and see the baby's head, I made the mistake of looking at the whole scene and saw more of my wife than I ever wanted to see. I immediately had to sit back down as I saw spots and my head got to spinning. Just a caution.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 08:13:31 EDT »

I get chills just thinking about that moment of hearing him for the first time.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 09:05:12 EDT »

Vinnie,

As a guy who just experienced this 7 1/2 weeks ago, I can tell you that everything you have heard so far is the truth.  I don't know what you and your wife have planned tonight but go to dinner, go to the movies, keep yourself busy.  The time will go by so slow today/tonight if you don't and this will be the last time you will get to be alone for awhile.

I was at my wife's head but saw the whole birth and saw my son arrive into this world and my heart just sank.  I was cutting the cord and my hands wouldn't stop shaking!  While they were cleaning him up, I was stroking his check because it made him not cry and I had this huge smile on my face that wouldn't come off.  The first time I got to hold him was unbelievable!

With that said, a couple of other pointers...if you wife is breast feeding, this will be a huge task for her because she will feel like she is exhausted with feeding every 2 to 3 hours.  In the middle of the night, GET UP with your wife.  I would sit on the couch with her in the dark but it made her feel better because it just wasn't her.  I don't know how you are with household chores but do the laundry, clean up after yourself, etc. 

After a couple of weeks, my wife couldn't keep up with my son's need for feed and we switched to the bottle.  It was great because I got the chance to help with the feeding.  There will be times your son will cry for long periods of time for no reason at all.  Just always realize it is worth it.  There will be times you want to scream....go outside and do it.  There are times when you will need to take the baby and tell you wife to get out of the house and recharge her batteries.  There are times when you will need to do the same!

With all that said, good luck tomorrow.  You and your wife will be in all our thoughts and prayers for a successful delivery.  Let us know how it went when you can

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 09:55:39 EDT »

Thanks Memphisv, I've thought about you a lot because I know you'd experienced this recently.  It's overwhelming to think about but we're as ready as we're gonna be!  :-)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2011, 01:27:27 EDT »

Glad you said that about them being bad, because one of mine was bad in school today (guess which one!), and I was going to scold her, but thought better of it. She's just going to have to go without a treat tonight.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2011, 01:37:11 EDT »

Vinnie,

As a guy who just experienced this 7 1/2 weeks ago, I can tell you that everything you have heard so far is the truth.  I don't know what you and your wife have planned tonight but go to dinner, go to the movies, keep yourself busy.  The time will go by so slow today/tonight if you don't and this will be the last time you will get to be alone for awhile.

I was at my wife's head but saw the whole birth and saw my son arrive into this world and my heart just sank.  I was cutting the cord and my hands wouldn't stop shaking!  While they were cleaning him up, I was stroking his check because it made him not cry and I had this huge smile on my face that wouldn't come off.  The first time I got to hold him was unbelievable!

With that said, a couple of other pointers...if you wife is breast feeding, this will be a huge task for her because she will feel like she is exhausted with feeding every 2 to 3 hours.  In the middle of the night, GET UP with your wife.  I would sit on the couch with her in the dark but it made her feel better because it just wasn't her.  I don't know how you are with household chores but do the laundry, clean up after yourself, etc. 

After a couple of weeks, my wife couldn't keep up with my son's need for feed and we switched to the bottle.  It was great because I got the chance to help with the feeding.  There will be times your son will cry for long periods of time for no reason at all.  Just always realize it is worth it.  There will be times you want to scream....go outside and do it.  There are times when you will need to take the baby and tell you wife to get out of the house and recharge her batteries.  There are times when you will need to do the same!

With all that said, good luck tomorrow.  You and your wife will be in all our thoughts and prayers for a successful delivery.  Let us know how it went when you can

Very, very well said!!!

GreggO
Great Vols of Fire
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 04:44:51 EDT »

Good luck tomorrow!  My c-section turned 17 today...tomorrow is the first day of her senior year.  It passes quickly so savor every moment.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 05:00:46 EDT »

Have fun tomorrow Vinnie! You'll do great!

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Barbivol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 05:13:42 EDT »

Let us know when he gets here...that means..how is the little woman....weight and height of the baby....name....and of course we need a picture with all the orange on...:O)  Tomorrow is almost here...for the rest of your life..get ready for the ride of your life.....:O) Love...and prayers coming your way! :O)s and hugs! 
Quasi EVol
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 11:40:18 EDT »

Woo!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: