VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 05:24:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So  (Read 5448 times)
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
So
« on: October 17, 2011, 06:24:25 EDT »

May just be me but why not start Worley this week. I mean unless God show its logical to say we don't stand much of a chance against Bama. Want to stay optimistic but also realistic.

GO VOLS! 
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:27:27 EDT »

Does Worley give us a legitimate shot at beating Alabama, one that Simms doesn't give us?

If the answer is no, it's a no-brainer to stick with Simms. Worley may very well be the better quarterback. (He's also untested and would be thrown into perhaps the most hostile environment in college football for his first collegiate experience.) But UT has to keep its eyes on the bigger picture right now. Preserving Worley's redshirt is more important than putting him into a game that we're probably going to lose anyway just to see if he's a little better than Simms.
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:36:57 EDT »

I can agree with what you saying but we all know that Bray is gone after next year and he'd make a start in Tuscalooser anyway the year after. I want the best possibly chance to win and I believe Morley can give us a better option. Again with the look what a Freshman did for us last year speech granted he didn't play Bama that much.

GO VOLS! 
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:27:24 EDT »

I don't think we should assume that Bray is gone after next year. I think there's a chance he's gone, but I think there's a bigger chance that he isn't. Bray is a good QB, but will he be first round draft pick material after next season? I don't necessarily think so. A big reason he has looked so good is the receivers he has had to throw to. He didn't look nearly as sharp without Hunter to toss it to. Granted, it's more complicated than that...our receivers haven't been playing very well (Da'Rick Rogers not withstanding) and it's easier for defense to attack the pass without having to respect the running game. But still...
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:28:42 EDT »

Can a player play a few downs and not burn a red shirt?  Or is that only the first few games. I am unclear on that.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:12:21 EDT »

Can a player play a few downs and not burn a red shirt?  Or is that only the first few games. I am unclear on that.

I've always heard that the minute he steps on the field for a play, his red shirt is gone.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 08:51:35 EDT »

There is absolutely no reason to burn Worley's redshirt unless Simms is hurt. Playing him this year gains nothing.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 08:59:59 EDT »

There is absolutely no reason to burn Worley's redshirt unless Simms is hurt. Playing him this year gains nothing.

Absolutely!   

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:59:52 EDT »

Other than experience...............................you learn by playing much more than by riding the bench or sending in plays.

Go Big Orange.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 10:10:01 EDT »

The only logic I can find to playing JW is that Simms is gone after this year....JW can and will be TB's backup..may as well get him going with some real action under his belt.  Afterall,,,,that's what real big time football is all about isn't it??? EXCITEMENT!!!!

If CDD keeps bringing in the recruits, there will another QB in there...it's not like after TB and JW are gone, the position will be empty...The VOLS have NOTHING to loose...we need 3 more wins to be bowl eligible. As quoted in the Water Boy...."They aren't holding anything back"!!

GO VOLS!!!!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 10:23:12 EDT »

Let me toss this out.

1) I don't think there's any way we can be an SEC team not name Kentucky with Simms, and am not positive Bray will be back for Vandy.

2) Planning for 5 years out is nonsensical. Planning for two years out is logical. Playing Worley only messes with the 5-year plan, which is too far out to worry about.

3) Playing Worley against Bama could shake up a young QB, but if the game is out of reach in the 4th quarter (i.e., Bama has > 20 points and we have <10) there's no pressure so put him in. Here's why.

We need him ready for MTSU. I take no one for granted. Also, South Carolina without Lattimore isn't as scary. I don't want to concede that game.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 10:29:53 EDT »

Let me toss this out.

1) I don't think there's any way we can be an SEC team not name Kentucky with Simms, and am not positive Bray will be back for Vandy.

2) Planning for 5 years out is nonsensical. Planning for two years out is logical. Playing Worley only messes with the 5-year plan, which is too far out to worry about.

3) Playing Worley against Bama could shake up a young QB, but if the game is out of reach in the 4th quarter (i.e., Bama has > 20 points and we have <10) there's no pressure so put him in. Here's why.

We need him ready for MTSU. I take no one for granted. Also, South Carolina without Lattimore isn't as scary. I don't want to concede that game.

I'm not even talking about planning for five years out. I used the Tee example because it was an example of a coach needlessly burning a redshirt.

If Worley gives them a better chance to win, play him. I'm assuming he doesn't and that's why Simms is playing.

If they play him, fine, I don't care.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 11:26:59 EDT »

Agreed. If Worley as a true freshman equals Simms as a senior, which is entirely plausible, then he should sit. Otherwise I'm for working him in. Obviously I don't have a clue about where he stands.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 12:44:35 EDT »

IIm just saying at this point can't it get any worse I mean yes Bama isn't the best team to throw him to but like I said earlier if he's the future hell already have to make that start year after next.

GO VOLS! 
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 01:11:36 EDT »

IIm just saying at this point can't it get any worse I mean yes Bama isn't the best team to throw him to but like I said earlier if he's the future hell already have to make that start year after next.

GO VOLS! 

It might be different if we were at the beginning of the season.

As it is, he'll be useful for us in an Alabama game we have no chance of winning even if he proves to be ready to go as a true freshman taking his first snaps, which would be extremely unlikely, and against USC and Arkansas. Then after that, Bray is (hopefully) back in the lineup and ready to go. You waste a whole year of eligibility for three games. It just doesn't make sense.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 04:15:04 EDT »

It might be different if we were at the beginning of the season.

As it is, he'll be useful for us in an Alabama game we have no chance of winning even if he proves to be ready to go as a true freshman taking his first snaps, which would be extremely unlikely, and against USC and Arkansas. Then after that, Bray is (hopefully) back in the lineup and ready to go. You waste a whole year of eligibility for three games. It just doesn't make sense.

Agreed.  I am assuming if he plays even one down, his redshirt is gone.  Let him sit.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: