VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 04:15:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the dreaded lawn question.....  (Read 17376 times)
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:39:17 EDT »

I remember a thread about lawn/grass a while back. I was living in Florida when it came about, so I didn't set myself to retain it. Now that I'm living in Tennessee, my lawn is being overran by fescue and I want to smash it before it gets too bad.

Any one have the solution? I'm afraid that there isn't a selective herbicide that I can treat it with since it's not a broad leaf. Do I have to kill the whole lawn and start from scratch?

11B4PJ3F7
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:44 EDT »

Astro turf....easy fix....stays green year round!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:33:39 EDT »

I remember a thread about lawn/grass a while back. I was living in Florida when it came about, so I didn't set myself to retain it. Now that I'm living in Tennessee, my lawn is being overran by fescue and I want to smash it before it gets too bad.

Any one have the solution? I'm afraid that there isn't a selective herbicide that I can treat it with since it's not a broad leaf. Do I have to kill the whole lawn and start from scratch?

Overrun by fescue? You're not trying to grow bermuda are you????

Around here our fescue gets overrun by Bermuda, not the other way around.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:47:56 EDT »

What he said.

Overrun by fescue? You're not trying to grow bermuda are you????

Around here our fescue gets overrun by Bermuda, not the other way around.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 04:33:40 EDT »

Don't listen to these guys. There's nothing wrong with a nice Bermuda lawn. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 04:49:03 EDT »

I don't mind the bermuda lawn, I was just agreeing it will over run the fescue or anything else unless you stay on top of it.
10EC
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 01:49:12 EDT »

When it gets hot... fertilize the hell out of your bermuda lawn.  And water...  The Fescue will wilt and the bermuda will take off like a scalded cat...  I built a Bermuda football field out of East Tennessee Tennessee clay at my wife's school when she was teaching.  I alternated a 35-0-0 with a 19-19-19 every other week.  The Bermuda came out fantastic.  You will mow constantly, but the Bermuda will look great.

In January - March, take out some Round-Up and spray anything that is green.  It won't hurt the dormant Bermuda and will kill off the competition when it gets warm again.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 01:55:13 EDT »

I'll follow up FLVOL's question with one of my own. I just moved to the proverbial goat ranch. Weeds are the dominant thing that grows. Should I kill everything now, or wait until winter and then seed in spring?

Also, the front yard faces west and gets lots of afternoon sun, but the back is pretty shady. Presumably the soil north is Charlotte is fairly similar to that of East Tennessee.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
10EC
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 02:02:23 EDT »

I'll follow up FLVOL's question with one of my own. I just moved to the proverbial goat ranch. Weeds are the dominant thing that grows. Should I kill everything now, or wait until winter and then seed in spring?

Also, the front yard faces west and gets lots of afternoon sun, but the back is pretty shady. Presumably the soil north is Charlotte is fairly similar to that of East Tennessee.

Fesue or Bermuda?
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 02:47:56 EDT »

Fescue is preferable, but I don't like to babysit it.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
10EC
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 02:51:03 EDT »

Fescue is preferable, but I don't like to babysit it.

Fescue should be seeded in mid-september.  It's really the only time to do it right.  This gives the roots time to develop before going dormant and also gives it the spring to develop better root structure.  If you seed in the Spring, you won't see much survice through the summer becasue the roots don't have enough time to develop.

In early February, hit it hard with a pre-emergent to prevent crab grass.  I use Scott's Halts.  In March, follow-up with another treatment of that.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 02:54:40 EDT »

I'm going to kill mine in late July/early August and seed this fall. Despite my earlier comment, I'm going with fescue this time.

I've always been one to buck sound advice, but my opinion has always been that the time of year when the seed is planted doesn't make a great deal of difference so long as you're diligent with your watering chores. In fact, my brother redid his lawn last year in the heat of summer. He went out in late June, tilled it up and planted a ryegrass/fescue mix. I told him he was nuts, but he stayed on top of the watering and his lawn was beginning to thrive by the time winter dormancy set in. Now, one year later, it looks like it has been a mature lawn for years.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 03:06:03 EDT »

Thanks a ton for the advice. The only other question I have is if Roundup is the to kill existing growth in BOM's timeframe (late summer), or should I go with something else?

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 03:08:08 EDT »

Get 3 Labrador retrievers, add a mole and you won't have to worry about having a yard.
10EC
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 03:51:37 EDT »

Thanks a ton for the advice. The only other question I have is if Roundup is the to kill existing growth in BOM's timeframe (late summer), or should I go with something else?

Nope, he is dead-on.  Use round-up no early then 3 weeks before you plan to spead your Fescue seed
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 04:09:39 EDT »

murf and FL, you've been given good advice by 10EC and BOM.

FL: Fertilizing in the summer is a great way to kill fescue and give bermuda the edge. It's also the #1 way Scotts/Trugreen and other squirt & fert companies kill the lawns that people pay them to maintain. But I will ask nicely that you rethink this, as bermuda is the Devil's Weed.

murf: You will want to start killing in early August. Spray the whole thing with glyphosate (doesn't have to be roundup . . . any generic glyphosate will do, but it's best if you mix it with a nonionic surfactant so it sticks to the leaves). Two weeks later, spray anything that's still green. Repeat again two weeks later. If you have any bermuda, which you probably do, you may even want to start earlier and repeat this 4 or 5 times before you seed.

In early-to-mid September, when it's time to seed, mow very short (as low as your mower will go without the blade hitting the ground) and bag all the dead stuff. Leave the rest unless you want to use a plastic rake to collect any loose dead stuff your mower missed. DO NOT TILL!!!!! Tilling will only cause uneven spots, ruin your soil structure, and bring weeds to the top. Drop the seed straight into the dead turf, and if possible, top the seed with a very thin layer of compost (bagged stuff from the big blue or big orange box stores is fine). That'll retain moisture and is far better than straw, so watering twice a day will keep the seeds wet enough to get good germination. With fescue you can see germination in as little as 5 days if you seed and water properly.

BOM, I will differ with you here:

I'm going to kill mine in late July/early August and seed this fall. Despite my earlier comment, I'm going with fescue this time.

I've always been one to buck sound advice, but my opinion has always been that the time of year when the seed is planted doesn't make a great deal of difference so long as you're diligent with your watering chores. In fact, my brother redid his lawn last year in the heat of summer. He went out in late June, tilled it up and planted a ryegrass/fescue mix. I told him he was nuts, but he stayed on top of the watering and his lawn was beginning to thrive by the time winter dormancy set in. Now, one year later, it looks like it has been a mature lawn for years.

Watering is the main thing, so I'd say under the right conditions it's possible to have successful seeding in spring or summer . . . but it will take a lot more water to do it then, and you're asking for trouble in two other ways:

(1) Fescue simply doesn't grow well when soil temperatures are Tennessee-summer-hot. So your grass will germinate but won't grow that much until September brings cooler weather. It will not give you as much of a head start over September seeding as you'd think unless the summer is really mild.

(2) Young grass will be far more susceptible to hot weather diseases like rust and brown patch, especially with all of the extra moisture you'll have to introduce via watering. Grass that has seen several good months of growth is more likely to resist such problems.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 04:18:04 EDT »

Let me also add, for both of you, the following link:

http://bestlawn.info/forum.html

murf, you will want to check out the Cool-season Grasses and Lawn Renovations forums. FL will want to check out the Warm-season Grasses forum if he wants bermuda. On that forum you will find the most helpful, smartest, and most curious lawn nuts on the web. They're up on the latest research and have done experiments with many types of seed, herbicides, and fertilizers to learn from experience. It's where I learned much of what I know about lawncare, and where so many common myths (like tilling) are dispelled with ruthless efficiency. If you have the time or inclination, you should register and start a thread there for your questions.

10EC
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 04:33:50 EDT »

Let me also add, for both of you, the following link:

http://bestlawn.info/forum.html

murf, you will want to check out the Cool-season Grasses and Lawn Renovations forums. FL will want to check out the Warm-season Grasses forum if he wants bermuda. On that forum you will find the most helpful, smartest, and most curious lawn nuts on the web. They're up on the latest research and have done experiments with many types of seed, herbicides, and fertilizers to learn from experience. It's where I learned much of what I know about lawncare, and where so many common myths (like tilling) are dispelled with ruthless efficiency. If you have the time or inclination, you should register and start a thread there for your questions.

Agree with not tilling, but I am a HUGE advocate of core aeriation twice a year.  Especially in early January so water can get into the holes then freeze and bust up the soil.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 04:52:30 EDT »

Agree with not tilling, but I am a HUGE advocate of core aeriation twice a year.  Especially in early January so water can get into the holes then freeze and bust up the soil.

Not I. Only in the most extreme circumstances of physical compaction (say, heavy equipment on the lawn) do I think core aeration is necessary. Its benefits are outweighed by its annoying tendency to bring weed seeds to the surface in most other circumstances. I think aeration, like summer fertilization, has been sold as beneficial by people who stand to profit from its regular use. But you're not the only one I know who swears by it, so opinions do differ.

I prefer to improve the soil by introducing organic matter and encouraging soil microbes and critters like earthworms, all of which help water and air penetration in the soil. Synthetic fertilizers don't help with that, but feeding with organics does. Soybean meal, alfalfa, and milorganite are my fertilizers of choice, and the soil loves them (and then the grass loves the soil). My organic program in this yard is in its infancy, so I'm expecting to see a lot of improvement in my soil as the seasons go by.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 04:57:31 EDT »

That's exactly the information I needed. Thanks a ton Clock, 10EC and BOM. While Lyn makes a strong case for low maintenace I think I'll try something else first.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 05:04:16 EDT »

Watering is the main thing, so I'd say under the right conditions it's possible to have successful seeding in spring or summer . . . but it will take a lot more water to do it then, and you're asking for trouble in two other ways:

(1) Fescue simply doesn't grow well when soil temperatures are Tennessee-summer-hot. So your grass will germinate but won't grow that much until September brings cooler weather. It will not give you as much of a head start over September seeding as you'd think unless the summer is really mild.

(2) Young grass will be far more susceptible to hot weather diseases like rust and brown patch, especially with all of the extra moisture you'll have to introduce via watering. Grass that has seen several good months of growth is more likely to resist such problems.

I'm not going to disagree with you because you know far more about it than I do. And I'm not really offering advice; just making statements because I like to talk.  But I just tend to go with whatever has proven to work for me in the past. Last year I planted some deer plots in ryegrass in early August, which is about five weeks earlier than the experts suggest. It flourished, which was good for my purposes because it allowed a few extra weeks of growth before cold weather set in...and I was planting it for deer consumption in December-January anyway. We did have an abnormally wet stretch of weather last August-September, which helped, but if that had been my lawn I could've controlled that part of it anyway. I will say that I have the advantage of living on the northern Cumberland Plateau, which is typically 5-7 degrees cooler than Knoxville, and I'm sure that helps.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 05:09:54 EDT »

lay down concrete and paint it green

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 05:20:05 EDT »

lay down concrete and paint it green

My experience indicates that even that lawn will be overtaken by bermuda eventually.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 05:22:56 EDT »

I'm not going to disagree with you because you know far more about it than I do. And I'm not really offering advice; just making statements because I like to talk.  But I just tend to go with whatever has proven to work for me in the past. Last year I planted some deer plots in ryegrass in early August, which is about five weeks earlier than the experts suggest. It flourished, which was good for my purposes because it allowed a few extra weeks of growth before cold weather set in...and I was planting it for deer consumption in December-January anyway. We did have an abnormally wet stretch of weather last August-September, which helped, but if that had been my lawn I could've controlled that part of it anyway. I will say that I have the advantage of living on the northern Cumberland Plateau, which is typically 5-7 degrees cooler than Knoxville, and I'm sure that helps.

I'm a little contrary on seeding timing too . . . I prefer late August to September. By the time the grass has emerged, the weather is starting to cooperate and growth can really kick in. That buys you several extra weeks of maturity before winter. You do have to water more when you seed that early but I think the grass ultimately benefits. When I did my lawn renovation last year it was September 10; I wanted to start two weeks earlier but I had to give the bermuda a 5th dose of roundup and that set me behind. I still don't think I killed all of the bermuda.

10EC
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 05:24:17 EDT »

Not I. Only in the most extreme circumstances of physical compaction (say, heavy equipment on the lawn) do I think core aeration is necessary. Its benefits are outweighed by its annoying tendency to bring weed seeds to the surface in most other circumstances. I think aeration, like summer fertilization, has been sold as beneficial by people who stand to profit from its regular use. But you're not the only one I know who swears by it, so opinions do differ.

I prefer to improve the soil by introducing organic matter and encouraging soil microbes and critters like earthworms, all of which help water and air penetration in the soil. Synthetic fertilizers don't help with that, but feeding with organics does. Soybean meal, alfalfa, and milorganite are my fertilizers of choice, and the soil loves them (and then the grass loves the soil). My organic program in this yard is in its infancy, so I'm expecting to see a lot of improvement in my soil as the seasons go by.

It all depends on the soil.  By definition, most of TN clay is compact.  If it's loam then I agree.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: