VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 08:29:20 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about our offense.  (Read 2824 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2012, 08:41:29 EDT »

Could be wrong but I suspect we will see a lot of zone coverage when the big 3 are on the field together. It will be like playing russian roulette to man them up often. I don't think we will see many 8 men in the box either even if just 2 are on the field. I know some coaches will blitz regardless but I think that is a huge gamble against the big 3 or at least a larger gamble than normal.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:50:11 EDT »

Could be wrong but I suspect we will see a lot of zone coverage when the big 3 are on the field together. It will be like playing russian roulette to man them up often.

This is why NCSU will be such a great test for Bray. They will play almost exclusively zone, making Tyler's reads absolutely crucial. Guys will be open, and it's just a matter of whether he can find them in a timely fashion and not overlook defenders and make mistakes.

I don't think we will see many 8 men in the box either even if just 2 are on the field. I know some coaches will blitz regardless but I think that is a huge gamble against the big 3 or at least a larger gamble than normal.

I think we will see blitzes on passing downs, but I agree that it won't be common to see 8 in the box-- at least until we show we can run the ball against 7. Even then it would be pretty risky.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:11:55 EDT »

I also think their good db Amerson will see more than one double move. No one has that many picks without guessing some.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:22:11 EDT »

I also think their good db Amerson will see more than one double move. No one has that many picks without guessing some.

Also, if you watch his highlights, last year was a right place/right time kind of season for him. Now, part of that is being in good position and part of that is good instinct . . . and to get that many picks you need both of those things. There were at least six picks where the QB tried to drop it behind him and just underthrew it (though at least one of those was still a very athletic play by Amerson). Another two or three were just horrid throws. I only saw three picks in the highlight video where Amerson appeared to be the only defender in the zone.

Now don't get me wrong . . . he made plays that many DBs wouldn't, and he's obviously smart enough to be in the right spot to make the plays. But he was able to gamble because there was almost always someone else there. This is where Bray's reads and avoiding trying to fit it in tight spots will be crucial in avoiding bad plays.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:53:33 EDT »

Also, if you watch his highlights, last year was a right place/right time kind of season for him. Now, part of that is being in good position and part of that is good instinct . . . and to get that many picks you need both of those things. There were at least six picks where the QB tried to drop it behind him and just underthrew it (though at least one of those was still a very athletic play by Amerson). Another two or three were just horrid throws. I only saw three picks in the highlight video where Amerson appeared to be the only defender in the zone.

Now don't get me wrong . . . he made plays that many DBs wouldn't, and he's obviously smart enough to be in the right spot to make the plays. But he was able to gamble because there was almost always someone else there. This is where Bray's reads and avoiding trying to fit it in tight spots will be crucial in avoiding bad plays.

That is where maturity comes in.  He has to be willing to throw to the open guy whoever that is.
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:56:58 EDT »

I don't think we will see many 8 men in the box

I have to agree.  It only makes sense to double cover your 3 WRs and TE.   Fortunately, I don't see the 3 defenders left in the box as having any problems containing UT's run game.   

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 07:10:48 EDT »

That was a good one.

I have to agree.  It only makes sense to double cover your 3 WRs and TE.   Fortunately, I don't see the 3 defenders left in the box as having any problems containing UT's run game.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: