VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 04:12:20 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very interesting comments by Tyler  (Read 3501 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:59:23 EDT »

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/sep/25/mike-strange-brays-body-language-under-the/

Bray admits the final 20 minutes against Florida was neither his, nor the team's, finest hour.

"I won't say we got scared,'' he said Tuesday, "but we just disappeared. We weren't ourselves.

"The whole team kind of met up and talked about how we let down and kind of crawled in a shell.''

So they definitely admit to a mental let up.

How they address this is the interesting question.

I would say that the experience will at least help the next time they are in that situation.  If they can hang with uga for 2-3 quarters, they might get a chance to prove themselves this weekend in fact.

I have no idea how they will respond, but I will say this.  I loathe him, but saban can coach.  And he constantly preaches not to worry about the overall state of the program, what last year's team did, what the media say, what your rankings are, or even what the fans think. 

He says just do your job and do it well.  What are the 3-4 things you are responsible for in this game and make sure you take care of them and give 100%.  The rest will take care of itself.  I think if they take this attitude, will could see some  pretty good things.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:32:37 EDT »

Dear Tyler,

Nut up or shut up.

Love,
Lynnie
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:01:41 EDT »

Dear Tyler,

Nut up or shut up.

Love,
Lynnie

Cosign.  Until they don't fold late in a big game, I will assume they will fold late in big games.
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:14:56 EDT »

This team is so mentally fragile it makes it tough to see them playing well in a hostile place like Georgia on Saturday.  If they hid in their shell in Neyland after a couple of plays went against them, they may run for the UT bus before halftime if they don't get fixed between the ears.  Coaches need to address this and fast.
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:41:37 EDT »

This team is so mentally fragile it makes it tough to see them playing well in a hostile place like Georgia on Saturday.  If they hid in their shell in Neyland after a couple of plays went against them, they may run for the UT bus before halftime if they don't get fixed between the ears.  Coaches need to address this and fast.

Well, what if the coaches are as mentally fragile as the players? There's an old saying about the fish stinking from the head down. The coaches set the tone for the players and when Chaney panics and goes completely away from the run game down only 7 with plenty of time left. IMO if the coaches aren't mentally tough and panic, how do you expect the players to behave differently?
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:42:33 EDT »

I agree but mental toughness is an elusive thing to pin down on how to instill it.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:43:13 EDT »

Well, what if the coaches are as mentally fragile as the players? There's an old saying about the fish stinking from the head down. The coaches set the tone for the players and when Chaney panics and goes completely away from the run game down only 7 with plenty of time left. IMO if the coaches aren't mentally tough and panic, how do you expect the players to behave differently?

Very good point.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 01:40:54 EDT »

I love a good fight..we are in their house,nobody expects us to win,go out and smack them straight in the mouth..Go Vols!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 02:39:54 EDT »

Starts and ends with the HC.  If a guy is trailing the eventual national champion by 7, I don't care how good they are, or how bad you think your own team is, you don't GO FOR IT on 4th down early in the third quarter from your own 39.   

If that doesn't say "P A N I C" I don't know what does. 

All this time I have been defending the chances of this team, not Dooley.  If anyone needs to nut up, it's him. 

If I were him, I would concentrate on making sure the players stay focused.  Throughout his tenure, we seem to relax or lose focus near the end of the half/game or after a big play (whether positive or negative).  IMO, the players need something from the coaches in those situations.  A word, a pat on the butt, a kick, whatever...don't just let them drift off, because that's what's been happening.  Dooley needs to get his head in the game, stay focused, and pass that attribute to the team.  Just MO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: