VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 01:29:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off topic - I want some people's opinion  (Read 6459 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2012, 09:02:25 EDT »

Some of you who I am FB friends with probably know that the company I work for laid off 1700 people world-wide a few weeks ago. Now, I wasn’t one of them, but I don’t like the strategic direction the company is going. Some of you know I am a program manager/engineer with a hardware background, and my company is slowly but surely going strategically towards being a solutions and software company. I feel that hardware people will eventually be weened out within the next 3 years.
I am not interested in moving right now, I am pretty settled in, have 2 kids in school, and my wife also works. I am, however looking locally to make a move, if the right opportunity presents itself.
Well, a certain very well known company based in Silicon Valley (I won’t name them but they’re named after a fruit) has contacted me and seems interested. I assume you know what company I am talking about, and I’d be a fool to not be interested, but man…I am really not interested in moving, which I’d have to do…but….damn ….
Should I continue to show interest, or should I just tell them no, and continue to look locally. I am afraid if I do I would kick myself later. I am also afraid that if things move further along, that I’d be tempted to go for it. That would be a HUGE move for us, which I am not sure I want to do. I’d really rather stay here, but the uncertainty with my company, along with a lack of high tech positions where I live is causing me to think about this heavily...along with the fact that it's well, a company that presents a really promising future.
Also..if I do move forward, should I bring up relocation costs and salary early in the process?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:08:54 EDT »

I vote for getting all the info you can.  I'd rather do that than sit and wonder what might've been.

I didn't have to relocate, but two years ago I didn't like the direction employer was heading and made a scary change.  Best career move I've ever made and I wish I'd done it sooner.  Scary in the sense that I had a job and left it for something unkown.

I know relocation makes your situation quite different, but that's my take.  Best of luck to you, my friend.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:11:29 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:11:53 EDT »

I'm with Vinnie on this. 
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:04:19 EDT »

My advice is that you need to pursue this.  As Vinnie said, get all the info that you can.  Even if they offer, you are not obligated to accept. But at least you would know at that time what your options are.  A significant opporuntity with Apple vs being weened out w/in 3 years should be compelling enough to make you and your wife at least consider or contemplate the relocation. 

From a macro perspective, business needs are changing so rapidly in this global economy, that if you don't voluntarily seek better opportunities, you may be forced to seek new opportunities much sooner than desired.  If your gut instinct is telling you that you could be "weened out in 3 years", then trust it as it is likely correct.  So explore new employment while you still have your current job.  That is a much better position to be in, than seeking employment while unemployed.  You can afford to be selective now, in other words.   

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:48:24 EDT »

My advice is that you need to pursue this.  As Vinnie said, get all the info that you can.  Even if they offer, you are not obligated to accept. But at least you would know at that time what your options are.  A significant opporuntity with Apple vs being weened out w/in 3 years should be compelling enough to make you and your wife at least consider or contemplate the relocation. 

From a macro perspective, business needs are changing so rapidly in this global economy, that if you don't voluntarily seek better opportunities, you may be forced to seek new opportunities much sooner than desired.  If your gut instinct is telling you that you could be "weened out in 3 years", then trust it as it is likely correct.  So explore new employment while you still have your current job.  That is a much better position to be in, than seeking employment while unemployed.  You can afford to be selective now, in other words.   

Good advice. Don't forget this one very important item though.......keep momma happy. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:17:35 EDT »

Word

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:39:44 EDT »

I much prefer giving advice to others to being introspective. Therefore I'll fire away.

It never hurts to talk. Be honest, but serious about it. Showing half interest has gotten me bounced more than once before so I'd pursue it with energy. If you get an on-site go out and sell yourself. The worst thing that can happen is you make extra contacts who could be useful in the future.

And hey, talking to the folks in Silicon Valley may help if something closer to home pops up. It's amazing how much more rapidly the hiring process goes if a company knows you're talking to someone else.

Oh, and congratulations are in order. The fruit company doesn't just talk to anybody.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 11:45:30 EDT »

bring up the relo as a byproduct of being happy with your current geography, and any move would have to make sense professionally and economically, but also make sense for your family.  Let the salary question follow the natural course of discussion.

Be sure to ask them if they still pay in stock when they are running short of cash.  I hear that worked out OK for some folks.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
10EC
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 12:37:10 EDT »

My one question would be " how much China travel?"
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 01:09:23 EDT »

My one question would be " how much China travel?"

That's about 30%, or about 10% more than I do now. Not a big deal to me.

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 01:45:23 EDT »

Keep all doors open and see where they lead..you can always say no but at least see what they have to offer
10EC
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 01:51:44 EDT »

That's about 30%, or about 10% more than I do now. Not a big deal to me.

Shanghai?  I'm not sure where Apple does their mfg.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 02:04:16 EDT »

Shanghai?  I'm not sure where Apple does their mfg.

Funny you should ask- CNet is doing a whole series of articles on this all this week.  It seems Foxconn manufactures Apple products in several HUGE facilities across China.  

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57515968-37/riots-suicides-and-other-issues-in-foxconns-iphone-factories/

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 02:31:47 EDT »

If they are interested, you owe it to yourself to pursue it. If you think your company will downsize you in ~36 months, you probably have less than 18 months.  Moving will not be the end of the world.  Silicon Valley will be a culture shock and California is just different. I have a couple of step-sisters in Fresno (no where near the Valley), but they have always loved Cali.  If you can get a good position, take it because it will be more secure than most techincal/engineering jobs in Tennessee unless you work in the automobile sector. Don't bring up relocation, benefits, etc to soon.  They will pay your relocation costs.

As a Professional Engineer with 39 years experience and plenty of experience with failed companies, if an opportunity for professional advancement comes your way, talk to them.  I just need 5 more years and my butt is retired.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 03:10:29 EDT »

Shanghai?  I'm not sure where Apple does their mfg.

Mostly Shenzhen
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 03:30:18 EDT »

I echo other people's thoughts. Get all the information you can... never say no without hearing the deal.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 03:43:44 EDT »

Ditto what bossman and others are saying!

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 03:47:47 EDT »

IMO, the fruit company has peaked, but it should be good for the next 5-10 years as it plateaus out, so go for it.   

The only advice I have is to make up your mind and be decisive.  Several years ago I kept putting conditions on a company that wanted me and they kept upping the ante, and I finally had to tell them no. 

I kept thinking they would w/d the offer, but I should have just told them no to begin with.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 05:58:34 EDT »

for it. But make sure they put everything on the table before agreeing to anything, but you already knew that. I can't see them losing any ground in the market anytime soon.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: