VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 03:57:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't lose hope  (Read 3569 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:08:50 EST »

IMO it is still Gruden

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:13:39 EST »

I was on the ledge yesterday.  But I'm getting back into Gruden mania today.  People who have all along claimed to have heard from $$$ that it's him are claiming this is all party of the ruse and UT is playing this masterfully.

In fairness, Gruden wants all his checks from TB.  That part makes sense.  He wants to fulfill his obligations to MNF, that part makes sense too.  It's not that far of a stretch to imagine disinformation being fed to media to buy time so that things can take their course.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:46 EST »

I was on the ledge yesterday.  But I'm getting back into Gruden mania today.  People who have all along claimed to have heard from $$$ that it's him are claiming this is all party of the ruse and UT is playing this masterfully.

In fairness, Gruden wants all his checks from TB.  That part makes sense.  He wants to fulfill his obligations to MNF, that part makes sense too.  It's not that far of a stretch to imagine disinformation being fed to media to buy time so that things can take their course.

You left me out on this ledge alone, Vinnie!!!
Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:17:43 EST »

For those hoping for Gruden, I thought this post from Tom Mattingly was interesting.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/mattingly/2012/11/the-word-for-today.html
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 08:19:27 EST »

I think people are making too much of the delay, he has a contract with ESPN he has to get out of first - there could be some issues with it.

TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:27:23 EST »

In listening to the different theories of how the big money boosters have basically arranged this with Gruden and Hart just needs to be shown as a heoro in a key moment of saving the deal, things seem to be playing out as scripted.

If it has been Gruden all along and this thing is not announced prior to the SECCG, then not sure where our HC search is.  After all, Gruden loves the media attention and there is not a better time than either late Friday afternoon or Saturday morning before the biggest game of the SEC and NC picture this year.  His name & face will be on the screen as much as Saban's Saturday.  UT will be missing the key day to play recruiting catch up with two of our biggest rivals during their game.  All of the legalities should have been analyzed and put to rest somewhere before the Vandy game.  I am not buying the due diligence line that is being floated.  If he is not in by Saturday at Noon then I think we missed and Hart will be the biggest doofus AD to let it get this far after the Vandy game without some kind of official announcement on Chucky.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:32:12 EST by TallVol » Logged
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:46:37 EST »

I am not buying UT is waiting because Gruden has contracts with Bucs and ESPN.

I really doubt with one payment to go, Tampa Bay has a clause or any recourse to not pay Gruden if he accepts a college coaching job.  Usually those contracts are structured so TB would only have to pay the difference between the monthly payments.  Since Gruden will not be on UT's payroll for a couple of weeks or a month, TB would still have to pay.  I see no impediment there.

I also doubt the ESPN contract has a clause or is structured should that they would or could fire Gruden immediately if he took the UT job.  He is on MNF and not college.  He last game is Dec 22 so if he cannot work until then, why would UT hire a guy that late? Will ESPN be angry? Undoubtedly. Would they lash out in anger? Maybe. There is little logic in believing this would prevent him from accepting.

My opinion is either he has not made up his mind yet or he is not coming.  I just do not think he has accepted and is waiting. That just does not fit his personality type. He eats up being in the spotlight.

For that matter, why would Hart wait?  Pulling in Gruden would be a major coup and cement his fame in Vol land.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 10:49:03 EST »

I am not buying UT is waiting because Gruden has contracts with Bucs and ESPN.

I really doubt with one payment to go, Tampa Bay has a clause or any recourse to not pay Gruden if he accepts a college coaching job.  Usually those contracts are structured so TB would only have to pay the difference between the monthly payments.  Since Gruden will not be on UT's payroll for a couple of weeks or a month, TB would still have to pay.  I see no impediment there.

I also doubt the ESPN contract has a clause or is structured should that they would or could fire Gruden immediately if he took the UT job.  He is on MNF and not college.  He last game is Dec 22 so if he cannot work until then, why would UT hire a guy that late? Will ESPN be angry? Undoubtedly. Would they lash out in anger? Maybe. There is little logic in believing this would prevent him from accepting.

My opinion is either he has not made up his mind yet or he is not coming.  I just do not think he has accepted and is waiting. That just does not fit his personality type. He eats up being in the spotlight.

For that matter, why would Hart wait?  Pulling in Gruden would be a major coup and cement his fame in Vol land.

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 01:25:45 EST »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: