VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 11:58:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PGA Rules @ The Masters  (Read 10518 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2013, 07:15:53 EDT »

1st - we watch tour pros every week take forever and a day to play their shots. Last week I watched as Jeff Overton took what seemed like 3 or 4 minutes to play a shot from the fairway. We have all seen Na, Crane, and others play exceedingly slow. So how does the PGA battle this? They penalize a 14 year old amature for not playing his shots in the allotted 40 second shot window - yeah, I know he had been warned once, but no player has been penalized in a major in almost 10 years. You mean this kid is the first player in 10 years that is guilty of slow play in a major? Yeah, sure. This on a day where the average round was probably about five hours and thirty minutes. Disgusting and idiotic, imo.

2nd -Tiger may have taken an illegal drop on 15. He said after the round that he moved back 2 yards from the spot of his original shot and hit his fifth. Now, he was absolutely robbed by the golf gods on his original approach, but the shot must be played from the same spot (not a spot two yards further away), if that is the option that the player chooses to use. Interesting to see how this plays out.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 12:36:15 EDT »

Correct.  Within the rules for a lateral hazard (red Stakes) Tiger took a proper drop.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 01:26:53 EDT »

The drop was not on the spot of his last shot. He said so in interview. And that wasn't the line where he could go back as far as he wanted - that line would have been over next to the grandstand. The drop was not legal.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:15:49 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 03:50:48 EDT »

They penalized him two strokes.  That just breaks my heart.

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters13/story/_/id/9167230/2013-masters-tiger-penalized-2-strokes-ball-drop-15

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:02:30 EDT »

So what happens the next time a player signs an incorrect card? Are they DQ'd unless the rules committee has already reviewed the issue and deemed it  OK?

Seems that unless a blatant or obvious disregard of the rules is shown, a DQ might not be warranted from here on out.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 03:22:00 EDT »

So what happens the next time a player signs an incorrect card? Are they DQ'd unless the rules committee has already reviewed the issue and deemed it  OK?

Seems that unless a blatant or obvious disregard of the rules is shown, a DQ might not be warranted from here on out.

Well, keep in mind that The Masters is not technically a PGA Tour event- it is operated by Augusta National itself, and any of these rulings are at the discretion of AN officials.  So if this happens at the Masters again, then that would be a legitimate question.  If it happens elsewhere, it's apples and oranges.  Ditto for the US Open, which is run by the USGA, and The Open Championship (R&A).  The PGA Championship is the only major operated by the PGA Tour itself. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 03:54:22 EDT »

Is it true that officials reviewed the drop after a tv viewer called and reported it?

Lol, don't they have "refs" at every hole?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 04:45:24 EDT »

Oh SNAP!

(FYI, this is the ex of Lindsey Vonn, Tiger's current girlfriend)

Thomas Vonn ‏@ThomasVonn 4h
No problem Masters tournament happy to call in and help. You always have to keep an eye on those cheaters ;)   http://yhoo.it/Zh7TBu
 View summary   Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 05:53:17 EDT »

Well, keep in mind that The Masters is not technically a PGA Tour event- it is operated by Augusta National itself, and any of these rulings are at the discretion of AN officials.  So if this happens at the Masters again, then that would be a legitimate question.  If it happens elsewhere, it's apples and oranges.  Ditto for the US Open, which is run by the USGA, and The Open Championship (R&A).  The PGA Championship is the only major operated by the PGA Tour itself. 

That is true. Hence Ridley being involved in the decision.
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 03:47:32 EDT »

1st - we watch tour pros every week take forever and a day to play their shots. Last week I watched as Jeff Overton took what seemed like 3 or 4 minutes to play a shot from the fairway. We have all seen Na, Crane, and others play exceedingly slow. So how does the PGA battle this? They penalize a 14 year old amature for not playing his shots in the allotted 40 second shot window - yeah, I know he had been warned once, but no player has been penalized in a major in almost 10 years. You mean this kid is the first player in 10 years that is guilty of slow play in a major? Yeah, sure. This on a day where the average round was probably about five hours and thirty minutes. Disgusting and idiotic, imo.

2nd -Tiger may have taken an illegal drop on 15. He said after the round that he moved back 2 yards from the spot of his original shot and hit his fifth. Now, he was absolutely robbed by the golf gods on his original approach, but the shot must be played from the same spot (not a spot two yards further away), if that is the option that the player chooses to use. Interesting to see how this plays out.

The PGA sold its soul to Tiger long ago.

Wherever you go, there you are.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 04:11:00 EDT »

Oh SNAP!

(FYI, this is the ex of Lindsey Vonn, Tiger's current girlfriend)

Thomas Vonn ‏@ThomasVonn 4h
No problem Masters tournament happy to call in and help. You always have to keep an eye on those cheaters ;)   http://yhoo.it/Zh7TBu
 View summary   Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More

101stDad
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 04:40:20 EDT »

The PGA sold its soul to Tiger long ago.

The Masters is not a PGA Tour event, and the rules officials met with Tiger before he signed his scorecard on Friday and didn't have an issue then.  There was a rules official observing, and he did not note anything about a breech of the rules. 

I'm no Tiger apologist anymore than I would be any other player in the same situation.  He signed the scorecard after tourney officials reviewed the situation as they all understood it, at the advice of Master's officials. 

It happened, he was penalized, and as The Eagles say in a song, "Get over it"! 
Quasi EVol
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 06:22:47 EDT »

It adds drama and interest.  And there's still a lot of golf left to play.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 07:07:05 EDT »

from:  http://www.usga.org/news/2011/April/Rule-Revised-On-DQ-For-Incorrect-Card/

"The R&A and the USGA Confirm that the disqualification penalty still applies for score card breaches that arise from ignorance of the Rules of Golf. As such, this decision reinforces that it is still the responsibility of the player to know the Rules, while recognizing that there may be some rare situations where it is reasonable that a player is unaware of the factual circumstances of a breach."
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 09:42:44 EDT »

from:  http://www.usga.org/news/2011/April/Rule-Revised-On-DQ-For-Incorrect-Card/

"The R&A and the USGA Confirm that the disqualification penalty still applies for score card breaches that arise from ignorance of the Rules of Golf. As such, this decision reinforces that it is still the responsibility of the player to know the Rules, while recognizing that there may be some rare situations where it is reasonable that a player is unaware of the factual circumstances of a breach."
The problem is that the Masters Rules committee had rulled that Tiger had acted IAW the rules of golg BEFORE he signed his card.  Therefore they really had no choice but to invoke rule 33 when CHANGING their position AFTER he signed the card.

IMO Tiger should have withdrawn but in the end his fellow players finishing with him in 4th and behind him have to deal with the less $$$ they received as a result of his continued play.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 12:02:34 EDT »

The Masters is not a PGA Tour event, and the rules officials met with Tiger before he signed his scorecard on Friday and didn't have an issue then.  There was a rules official observing, and he did not note anything about a breech of the rules. 

I'm no Tiger apologist anymore than I would be any other player in the same situation.  He signed the scorecard after tourney officials reviewed the situation as they all understood it, at the advice of Master's officials. 

It happened, he was penalized, and as The Eagles say in a song, "Get over it"! 

How is that pertinent to my post?  Tiger has always gotten preferential treatment.  I have seen it first hand.  There's Tiger, and then there is everyone else.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 02:01:48 EDT »

I watch golf about as much as I do baseball, and I don't really care one way or another for Tiger... but how is it fair for them to take call ins for rules violations from tv viewers when someone like Tiger is on camera a ton more than these other guys?
101stDad
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 02:29:25 EDT »

How is that pertinent to my post?  Tiger has always gotten preferential treatment.  I have seen it first hand.  There's Tiger, and then there is everyone else.

That's your opinion.

Share with us how you have seen it first hand, please.  I'm sure we'd all be interested in hearing that. 

Tiger may be an ass, but he is an ass that delivers TV ratings and revenue whenever he plays in an event.   If you call that preferential, then so be it.  He is still the world's #1 ranked player for a reason. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 08:05:02 EDT »

That's your opinion.

Share with us how you have seen it first hand, please.  I'm sure we'd all be interested in hearing that. 

Tiger may be an ass, but he is an ass that delivers TV ratings and revenue whenever he plays in an event.   If you call that preferential, then so be it.  He is still the world's #1 ranked player for a reason. 

Yeah, I mean, it's not like he stayed in the left lane too long or anything.  For that, probably a lifetime ban from golf would be appropriate. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 12:28:57 EDT »

Yeah, I mean, it's not like he stayed in the left lane too long or anything.  For that, probably a lifetime ban from golf would be appropriate. 

GOOD POINT, I AGREE

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 03:39:24 EDT »

how about a lifetime ban from THE INTERSTATE!! 
Quasi EVol
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 08:37:04 EDT »

You're gonna get droner to lock this thread! 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 09:44:16 EDT »

You're gonna get droner to lock this thread! 
Get real, the only reason droner locked the thread was because it was getting too close to having more replies that TRO's top of the list thread

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 10:30:23 EDT »

Don't make me come in here. I'll do it.
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 02:41:34 EDT »

That's your opinion.

At the 2001 PGA Championship, when Tiger would walk through from 9 to 10, they pushed everyone way back and put ropes up to keep everyone away.  You are correct that it is all about money.  The PGA and USGA, etc., etc., give all this talk about it being a gentlemen's game and the players are self officiating and blah, blah, blah, but in the end it is all about money.  I would have much more respect if the PGA treated Tiger just like any other golfer on the Tour.  I know they can't do anything about what TV reporters and advertisers do, but they should keep the integrity of the Tour.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: