VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 04:46:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS4: No DRM and $100 cheaper. I think we have a winner.*  (Read 4020 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2013, 12:52:09 EDT »

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 02:04:46 EDT »

And no periodic online authentication BS, which I thought was the most ridiculous thing Microsoft is trying to push with the Xbox1.

If PS4 had stuck with the free online game play, it's hard to imagine that they couldn't have blown MS out of the water with his announcement.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 02:25:18 EDT »

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 03:57:45 EDT »

And no periodic online authentication BS, which I thought was the most ridiculous thing Microsoft is trying to push with

Thats just DRM by another name.  The way I see it, the only way XBox gets back in the running is to announce that their games will be significantly cheaper, say 30-40 bucks.  If they're going to take thatuch value out of them, then they shouldn't cost $60 anymore.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:04:20 EDT »

Certainly sounds like we have a winner.  I have no brand loyalty (NES->Genesis->PS1->PS2->360) so it looks like my next console will be the PS4. It'll be interesting to see if MS is able to respond in any way, because they just got a mudhole stomped in them.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 06:56:25 EDT »

Certainly sounds like we have a winner.  I have no brand loyalty (NES->Genesis->PS1->PS2->360) so it looks like my next console will be the PS4. It'll be interesting to see if MS is able to respond in any way, because they just got a mudhole stomped in them.

Seriously.  As it stands,  you'd have to be the most blindly loyal microsoft fanboy in the world to stick with Xbox.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 08:58:10 EDT »

what about Kinect?

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 09:23:48 EDT »

what about Kinect?

So far, it's mostly been a novelty.  It has some functionality in some kids games, and  its a neat way to navigate through your menus, but that's about all.   

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:18 EDT »

So far, it's mostly been a novelty.  It has some functionality in some kids games, and  its a neat way to navigate through your menus, but that's about all.   

It's in it's infancy, but MS is spending a lot on it. The technology will continue improving, and that's where I think you will see MS separate itself. It's pretty damn cool.

VOLveeta
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:25:33 EDT »

I'm an xbox fan boy, loving my new windows 8 phone A LOT, btw.  I don't mind spending an extra $100 and I don't mind the cost of xbox live because it's awesome.  But I strongly agree, if I can't share my games or sell them, they damned well better be significantly cheaper... and that may be the only hope the xbox one has at this point.  If they don't draw gamers in with serious savings on the cost of the software, they're going to get pummeled.  I even don't mind the logging on, no biggie for me... and I like the all inclusive home entertainment thing about it... the blu-ray.

But the cost of games, that's going to make or break this unit for Microsoft.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 01:15:11 EDT »

It's in it's infancy, but MS is spending a lot on it. The technology will continue improving, and that's where I think you will see MS separate itself. It's pretty damn cool.

It's a neat piece of technology, but MS has no idea what to do with it.  For that matter, I'm not sure it really has much use for the serious gamer.  Ditto for the Wii and PS Move.  Gamers are, for the most part, not particularly physically active.  So why would they want to play a virtual game of tennis in their living room?  If I want to play tennis, I'll play actual tennis- as opposed to standing in the middle of my living room and swinging an imaginary racquet like an idiot. 

I thought it was funny when MS announced Kinect functionality for Forza 4, their outstanding driving franchise.  When you turn your head to the right or left, the camera view follows.  Sounds really cool, right?  But then I thought about it- When I turn my head, I'm no longer looking at the TV anyway.  Pass.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 01:23:04 EDT »

It's a neat piece of technology, but MS has no idea what to do with it.  For that matter, I'm not sure it really has much use for the serious gamer.  Ditto for the Wii and PS Move.  Gamers are, for the most part, not particularly physically active.  So why would they want to play a virtual game of tennis in their living room?  If I want to play tennis, I'll play actual tennis- as opposed to standing in the middle of my living room and swinging an imaginary racquet like an idiot. 

I thought it was funny when MS announced Kinect functionality for Forza 4, their outstanding driving franchise.  When you turn your head to the right or left, the camera view follows.  Sounds really cool, right?  But then I thought about it- When I turn my head, I'm no longer looking at the TV anyway.  Pass.

Yeah I don;t think Kinect is targeting gamers. They are targeting a whole different demographic.

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 03:58:11 EDT »

Maybe I'm just a geek, but I imagine a time when I can play NCAA Football and pace my living room like a coach on the sideline, using voice commands to call plays. Or call audibles and direct players as the QB using the Kinect. There's potential there...you said it best, though. it's as though MS has no idea what to do with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: