VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 01:41:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, uh, Herb  (Read 5577 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:21:34 EDT »

Tell us about that Powell-Fulton game last week. I just heard the score yesterday and was a bit shocked.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:34:50 EDT »

My name isn't Herb but I have to chime in to say I'm pretty sure Fulton could defeat a few small colleges right now. That's such a strong program traditionally, but these last two years... 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:36:25 EDT »

I also seem to recall reading that Powell had quite a few starters up and quit the team, gave me the impression that it made a lopsided match even that much more lopsided.  I'll certainly defer to Herb on this one, though.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:01:52 EDT »

Well, first of all I am no longer broadcasting Powell football.  We ended our relationship with Powell back in the spring.  I am now reunited with former Powell Coach Clark Duncan, and our station will be broadcasting South Doyle Cherokee football this fall.  Really looking forward to working with Coach Duncan again (he was coaching at Powell when I first started doing radio for Powell, Clark and I have been friends since he left Powell, and my son played for him at Powell) and the new opportunity I have there.  Should be a great year for the Cherokees, as well. They have a ton of talent, including UT verbal Joc Bruce.  

So on to Powell, it's really not a good situation right now.  The fourth head coach in four years certainly isn't a good thing, compounded by this hire that just isn't a fit what so ever, in my opinion, for the community nor the program.  He's been a winged t guy his entire coaching career, and this day and time - and especially at the upper levels of high school football in this state - running that offense just isn't a good thing.

Not going to pile on.  I still live in Powell, I love the program, gave a lot of years of work over and above my radio responsibilities to the school and program, and my son played there. I still have a couple of good friends on that coaching staff, and I have am still close to several of the kids on the team.  I wish them the best, but I just don't see the program rebounding for a while.  It was going to be a rebuilding type year as it was, but the mass exodus of current and future football players has been accelerated drastically with the events of the last few months.  

And on the Fulton game, Fulton really didn't try to run the score up.  It was 48-3 at the half.  No Fulton starter played in the second half, and in fact the kid who scored the last two Fulton TDs was a third string RB on the FRESHMAN TEAM last year.  Fulton only ran 11 offensive plays in the second half, and did not throw the ball in the second half, yet they still scored 35 points in the half with third and fourth teamers in the game.  Plus with the mercy rule (second half running clock) in play in the second half, it really wasn't as bad as it could have been.  

Doesn't get much easier this week.  CAK comes to Powell, and it's a CAK team that returns most of its offense that scored 41 in a losing effort last year against Powell, and that was with a Powell defense that was much better than this year's Powell defense.  

Unfortunately, I see a really long year for the Panthers.  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:17:46 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:29:44 EDT »

Well, first of all I am no longer broadcasting Powell football.  We ended our relationship with Powell back in the spring.  I am now reunited with former Powell Coach Clark Duncan, and our station will be broadcasting South Doyle Cherokee football this fall.  Really looking forward to working with Coach Duncan again (he was coaching at Powell when I first started doing radio for Powell, Clark and I have been friends since he left Powell, and my son played for him at Powell) and the new opportunity I have there.  Should be a great year for the Cherokees, as well. They have a ton of talent, including UT verbal Joc Bruce. 

Herb, that is very cool.  I am a Doyle alumnus.  It sounds like they got another good coach finally.  We had coach Bridges my senior year and also had one of the few playoff games in the history of Doyle (which is now South Doyle).  He took a team that was a combined 1-19 the two previous seasons (beating a winless Bearden in the last game of my junior year 3-0, lol) and went 10-0 in the regular season.  The previous coach, Myron Sharpe, was a joke and also the talent level in my class was very good and included Kevin Zurcher who played at UT (though he did not distinguish himself there lol).

What are the prospects for this season?  Is there a webcast of your broadcast?  I may try to listen to a few.

Heck, I will be in Ktown Friday night...might even try to make the game if it's at South Doyle.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:45 EDT »

South Doyle should be one of the better Class 5A teams in the eastern side of the bracket, along with Oak Ridge, Knoxville West, and Campbell County - not necessarily in that order.  Knoxville West should be ranked #1 in the state in 5A when the new polls come out later today.  They were #2 last week, and with #1 Henry County losing last Friday to Liberty Magnet, West should move up.  South Doyle is a top 10 team. 

South Doyle is a veteran team.  Many of the starters, including key guys, have all been starters since they were sophomores.  Besides Bruce, the QB is a D1-AA prospect (Furman is heavily on him), they have a big line, with a tackle being recruited by the likes of Duke and many of the mid-major D1-As, another running back besides Bruce who would be starting just about anywhere in the area, and a very talented receiver.  Offensively the Cherokees should be very good.  Defensively they are big up front with an active group of linebackers, and the kid who plays QB is also the strong safety, and is a solid defensive play maker. 

Coach Duncan has put together a very solid coaching staff.  Really good guys, and very good football coaches. 

We are working on the audio streaming link for the broadcasts as I type.  I'll post it here for you as soon as I get it finalized. 

My color analyst and I are also working on the new South Doyle football website.  We should have that ready to publish by Friday and I will get you the URL for that, too.

South Doyle plays at Heritage (in Blount County) this week, and then the home opener is on Sept. 5 against Jefferson County. 

By the way, I played against the old Doyle high when I was at Bearden. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 10:06:53 EDT »

Well, first of all I am no longer broadcasting Powell football.  We ended our relationship with Powell back in the spring.  I am now reunited with former Powell Coach Clark Duncan, and our station will be broadcasting South Doyle Cherokee football this fall.  Really looking forward to working with Coach Duncan again (he was coaching at Powell when I first started doing radio for Powell, Clark and I have been friends since he left Powell, and my son played for him at Powell) and the new opportunity I have there.  Should be a great year for the Cherokees, as well. They have a ton of talent, including UT verbal Joc Bruce.  

So on to Powell, it's really not a good situation right now.  The fourth head coach in four years certainly isn't a good thing, compounded by this hire that just isn't a fit what so ever, in my opinion, for the community nor the program.  He's been a winged t guy his entire coaching career, and this day and time - and especially at the upper levels of high school football in this state - running that offense just isn't a good thing.

Not going to pile on.  I still live in Powell, I love the program, gave a lot of years of work over and above my radio responsibilities to the school and program, and my son played there. I still have a couple of good friends on that coaching staff, and I have am still close to several of the kids on the team.  I wish them the best, but I just don't see the program rebounding for a long time.  It was going to be a rebuilding type year as it was, but the mass exodus of current and future football players has been accelerated drastically with the events of the last few months.  

And on the Fulton game, Fulton really didn't try to run the score up.  It was 48-3 at the half.  No Fulton starter played in the second half, and in fact the kid who scored the last two Fulton TDs was a third string RB on the FRESHMAN TEAM last year.  Fulton only ran 11 offensive plays in the second half, and did not throw the ball in the second half, yet they still scored 35 points in the half with third and fourth teamers in the game.  Plus with the mercy rule (second half running clock) in play in the second half, it really wasn't as bad as it could have been.  

Doesn't get much easier this week.  CAK comes to Powell, and it's a CAK team that returns most of its offense that scored 41 in a losing effort last year against Powell, and that was with a Powell defense that was much better than this year's Powell defense.  

Unfortunately, I see a really long year for the Panthers.  

Yikes. I knew about the coaching carousel but didn't realize the program was hurting that badly. I suspect that Fulton is just that good, also.

Best wishes for your South-Doyle broadcasts. As you know, Duncan was HC when I was at Powell and we had some strong teams in those days. Powell didn't compete for state titles but was a tough out in the playoffs every year, and I'm sure he'll find some success at S-D.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 10:09:12 EDT »

Yikes. I knew about the coaching carousel but didn't realize the program was hurting that badly. I suspect that Fulton is just that good, also.

Best wishes for your South-Doyle broadcasts. As you know, Duncan was HC when I was at Powell and we had some strong teams in those days. Powell didn't compete for state titles but was a tough out in the playoffs every year, and I'm sure he'll find some success at S-D.
The 1st or 2nd game every playoff when Duncan was the coach was against Maryville.  I've heard they were/are pretty good.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:15:09 EDT »

The 1st or 2nd game every playoff when Duncan was the coach was against Maryville.  I've heard they were/are pretty good.

Yep.  Powell had some teams during that era that if not for having to play Maryville in the second round could have made a deep playoff run.  Clark is a tremendous football coach. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 06:34:10 EDT »

Yep.  Powell had some teams during that era that if not for having to play Maryville in the second round could have made a deep playoff run.  Clark is a tremendous football coach. 

Well I am glad that South Doyle is doing well and also that they have a coach the caliber of Duncan.  I look forward to the links you will post.

I always go to Ktown for Labor Day, we have a big family reunion. I am going a couple days early this year.  Who knows, I may even swing by Heritage Friday night.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 09:32:58 EDT »

As a former Powell resident, I hate to hear about their current state, but am glad to hear S-D has risen from the dead (oldest sister graduated a couple of years after Jimmy Colquitt). Several pharaohs were interred for less time than the S-D program.

However, as a Heritage alum I must say "Go Mountaineers!" - not that it's ever done much good. 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 08:18:06 EDT »

What class was your sister?  I was 85....Colquitt was still at UT when I was in school and his younger sisters (who I believe were twins) still attended Doyle, as it was called at the time.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 10:59:12 EDT »

She was '81 or '82, Darlene Weaver. It's good to know South Knoxville is represented on VTTW. I thought I was the sole So. Knox/Blount County participant.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 11:44:21 EDT »

Butros Vollie was and old South Knox fart - We are talking Young HS

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 02:48:39 EDT »

She was '81 or '82, Darlene Weaver. It's good to know South Knoxville is represented on VTTW. I thought I was the sole So. Knox/Blount County participant.

Yeah good to meet another south knoxer.  I love it down thete...or I should say here.  Visiting the folks for labor day.

RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 02:56:50 EDT »

Just proves how important coaching is in High School Football. 3-4 years ago Powell was competing for State Titles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: