VTTW Board Index
April 29, 2024, 12:53:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fan the flames of expectations...........  (Read 6031 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2015, 06:03:28 EST »

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/102380/102380
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:11:24 EST »

If you base the season on this we will be 9-3 with loses to UGA, Bama and Ark.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 06:41:13 EST »

The old adage is a player improves the most between their freshman and sophomore year. With a a large and talented freshman group on hand, the expectation they will really notch it up to another level is realistic.

FWIW, our board already discussed this and most concur and expect it. Another talented freshman class just adds to the likelihood of greater things. Your defensive line could really be a big factor. QB consistency will be key, but the talent is there.

BG
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 07:55:55 EST »

expectations by 13 spots and we're NATIONAL CHAMPIONS !!!!       
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:22:54 EST »

We will beat the damned silver britches off Georgia this year..Had them against the ropes the last 2 yrs and let them slip out of our hands and with less talent..
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:49:11 EST »

We will beat the damned silver britches off Georgia this year..Had them against the ropes the last 2 yrs and let them slip out of our hands and with less talent..

I like the way you think 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 04:03:25 EST »

I concur. This team is on the verge of being able to beat anyone on the schedule. Oklahoma will be the first biggie to fall.

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 05:49:51 EST »

And the flames got hotter...........

ESPN Insider Brad Edwards takes a crack at projecting the 12 teams that will make the New Year's Six bowl games next season.

The SEC is well represented, with three teams making the cut. Not surprisingly, Alabama and Auburn are two of those. But the third team? That might come as a shock to some. Edwards projects Tennessee to play its way into a New Year's Six bowl.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/98031/edwards-three-sec-teams-in-early-new-years-six-predictions

You have to subscribe to read any more and I'm not a subscriber. But I saw what I needed to know. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 12:53:05 EST »

And the flames got hotter...........

ESPN Insider Brad Edwards takes a crack at projecting the 12 teams that will make the New Year's Six bowl games next season.

The SEC is well represented, with three teams making the cut. Not surprisingly, Alabama and Auburn are two of those. But the third team? That might come as a shock to some. Edwards projects Tennessee to play its way into a New Year's Six bowl.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/98031/edwards-three-sec-teams-in-early-new-years-six-predictions

You have to subscribe to read any more and I'm not a subscriber. But I saw what I needed to know. 

FWIW, he has us in the Sugar Bowl playing Baylor.  He also has MIchigan in the Rose Bowl, Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl, and Oklahoma State(!) among the final four playoff teams.  So he's pretty far out on a limb in his picks.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 01:46:42 EST »

FWIW, he has us in the Sugar Bowl playing Baylor.  He also has MIchigan in the Rose Bowl, Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl, and Oklahoma State(!) among the final four playoff teams.  So he's pretty far out on a limb in his picks.

Waaaaaaay out on a limb.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 06:00:00 EST »

After the bowl game, it is a bonfire of expectations, not mere flames. But at least we can look forward to this upcoming season with hope and not the despair of the Dooley years. As a Vol fan since the 1960s, I always hope for the best, but I can accept the results as long as they play hard and have coaches that have a clue. Personally, I could care less what a talking head or sportswriter thinks. You win or lose the game on the field.

I was born in 1951 after the next to last national championship. I hope they do not take as long between them because I will not be alive. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 06:31:36 EST »

OSU lost two quarterbacks and won a national title, because they have established depth of talent. You can pencil them into the big bowls every year and count on their appearance even if a couple of breaks/injuries go against them. A handful of other programs are like that (Alabama, for example) but there aren't many. Most schools that are primed for big seasons have that contingent upon staying healthy and have breaks that are at least even.

We're now in that latter category. If key people stay healthy, we can make some serious noise and yeah, maybe win 9+ games and make it to a big bowl. But injuries or other bad breaks could totally derail that.

I say all this to drive two points home: (1) we're still balanced on a knife edge; imagine a Dobbs injury or if we lose two OTs? and (2) how freaking NICE is it to be in that conversation of having a big year if the breaks don't go against us? If Butch continues his stellar recruiting we'll have that depth that OSU and Alabama have, so that injuries no longer derail whole seasons.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 12:23:30 EST »

My expectations are 8-4 and 9-4 if we win the bowl without thinking about it too much.  I need to go over the schedule in more detail.

My minimum expectations are "better than last year".  With Dobbs and the frosh from last year being more experienced and all the new talent coming in, we definitely should improve on last year's record

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: