VTTW Board Index
May 01, 2024, 10:52:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our offense did nothing in the second half and our defense was gassed....  (Read 16707 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 05:41:30 EDT »

I know what the numbers say, but I think Butch is still a clear upgrade from Dooley if only because he's restocking the cupboard while Dooley made it worse.

He is a upgrade...Period, Dot.

Until Butch starts winning some big games...wasting the talent he's recruited is...well, a huge waste.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 06:40:53 EDT »

Just like I have been saying, Jones still needs to prove his x's and o's coaching ability. Seems to me they made better adjustments than we did.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 09:25:05 EDT »

True on Dooley......but Dooley was UT's 3rd coach in 2 years and we had some major defections because of it....Got to admit that too. Sure Dooley gets a lot of blame but he had some factors that wasn't in his control either. Was Dooley a bad coach....YES! But he was dealt a $hitty hand too but for some reason people forget that but want to use it loss after loss as an excuse for Butch.

And I'd take the offensive system under Dooley back, right now....today!

Will you also take back Bray, Hunter and Patterson?  Cause any one of those guys would help, although Bray didn't have it mentally IMO.

I will say this for Dooley, he did know how to evaluate and recruit WR talent.  It's just too bad he was so shizzlety at every other position on the team.

I guess that's why he was able to land a position job with the Cowboys.  That, or Jones is just   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 09:31:55 EDT »

Will you also take back Bray, Hunter and Patterson?  Cause any one of those guys would help, although Bray didn't have it mentally IMO.

I will say this for Dooley, he did know how to evaluate and recruit WR talent.  It's just too bad he was so shizzlety at every other position on the team.

I guess that's why he was able to land a position job with the Cowboys.  That, or Jones is just   

As a group we have better WRs now than we did under Dooley.....Why are we so bad now then? Folks want to beat down Dooley (me included) but they give Butch and company a pass. (not me included) Excuses are for losers and we have mastered losing.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 10:38:39 EDT »

As a group we have better WRs now than we did under Dooley.....Why are we so bad now then? Folks want to beat down Dooley (me included) but they give Butch and company a pass. (not me included) Excuses are for losers and we have mastered losing.

I have to disagree. Both hunter and Patterson had prospects of being drafted in the first round.  As it was Hunter went in the second round but Patterson was a first rounder.

Which of our current wide receivers has first round draft prospects? I can't think of any.

Having said that I'm not making any excuses. Although I don't think we currently have any wrs on that level (Malone might get there but is not right now) we definitely have some highly ranked recruits. They should be more productive period dot.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 10:43:20 EDT »

It's funny that you talk about beating down Dooley because in 2012 I caught a good deal of flak for remaining positive while most fans gave up on the season after the Florida game.

I really wasn't defending Dooley and definitely didn't see him as the coach of the future at ut, I just wanted us to have some success for a chsnge. If our d had been halfway decent that year we would have won 8 or 9 games.

In retrospect it was good to go ahead and get rid of dooley, particularly given the reports that later surfaced about his lack of effort in recruiting

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 11:21:27 EDT »

I know what the numbers say, but I think Butch is still a clear upgrade from Dooley if only because he's restocking the cupboard while Dooley made it worse.

Agreed...It all starts with recruiting..Butch has started to right the ship and we've all had to be patient but what he needs to understand is how starved the Vol Nation is for a quality victory,not just while he's been there but basically since around 2007 and that he needs to take advantage of every opportunity and to use all tools at his disposal and coach to win with a sense of urgency..he and his staff did not do that Saturday night
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 11:43:51 EDT »

Agreed...It all starts with recruiting..Butch has started to right the ship and we've all had to be patient but what he needs to understand is how starved the Vol Nation is for a quality victory,not just while he's been there but basically since around 2007 and that he needs to take advantage of every opportunity and to use all tools at his disposal and coach to win with a sense of urgency..he and his staff did not do that Saturday night

Agree. ^^^^^^^^^^^
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2015, 03:31:01 EDT »

I have to disagree. Both hunter and Patterson had prospects of being drafted in the first round.  As it was Hunter went in the second round but Patterson was a first rounder.

Which of our current wide receivers has first round draft prospects? I can't think of any.

Having said that I'm not making any excuses. Although I don't think we currently have any wrs on that level (Malone might get there but is not right now) we definitely have some highly ranked recruits. They should be more productive period dot.

How do you know? We aren't using them!!!!....North has NFL talent but can't get him the damn ball. Von Pearson does too....along with Malone. As a whole group this is the best set of WRs we've had at one time in a long time... Under Chaney's system our WRs would flourish right now...today....with a QB with a arm like Bray. We have a Bray arm on the team right now.....Dormady, and he has a brain to go with the arm.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 05:38:11 EDT »

How do you know? We aren't using them!!!!....North has NFL talent but can't get him the damn ball. Von Pearson does too....along with Malone. As a whole group this is the best set of WRs we've had at one time in a long time... Under Chaney's system our WRs would flourish right now...today....with a QB with a arm like Bray. We have a Bray arm on the team right now.....Dormady, and he has a brain to go with the arm.

North is supposedly nicked up.  Von Pearson did well in the first game, showed some flashes Saturday, but slipped down.

I did love Chaney as an OC, though many didn't like him.  I wanted us to keep him, but they didn't ask my opinion.   

Dobbs problem is not brains.  He seems to lack accuracy and maybe at times hesitates a bit.   If it's just inaccuracy, maybe that's something that can improve.  The hesitation should be something that improves as time goes by.

Dobbs is an Aerospace major with good grades.  He has it going on upstairs.  Of course, I'm biased on that one.   

Creek Walker
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2015, 05:50:00 EDT »

I would submit that a big part of Dobbs' problem Saturday is that he's a quarterback who plays best when he's playing on raw instinct and intuition — that's a trait of great scrambling quarterbacks — and his coaches were asking him to play reserved and controlled.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2015, 05:50:51 EDT »

North is supposedly nicked up.  Von Pearson did well in the first game, showed some flashes Saturday, but slipped down.

I did love Chaney as an OC, though many didn't like him.  I wanted us to keep him, but they didn't ask my opinion.   

Dobbs problem is not brains.  He seems to lack accuracy and maybe at times hesitates a bit.   If it's just inaccuracy, maybe that's something that can improve.  The hesitation should be something that improves as time goes by.

Dobbs is an Aerospace major with good grades.  He has it going on upstairs.  Of course, I'm biased on that one.   

I was comparing Bray's arm and lack of a brain.....to Dormady's arm with the brains to go with it.

I love Dobbs...pulling for him. But IMO, he doesn't have the arm (accuracy) to win big for us. That's why teams are putting 8-9 in the box...we can't beat anybody deep. Dobbs arm + bad OL=World of hurt.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 05:56:44 EDT »

I would submit that a big part of Dobbs' problem Saturday is that he's a quarterback who plays best when he's playing on raw instinct and intuition — that's a trait of great scarambling quarterbacks — and his coaches were asking him to play reserved and controlled.

I would agree 100% with this. Something was wrong with him....more so the 2nd half. If you looked at his facial expressions they weren't good at all. Looked confused....almost like he'd had his bell rung.

He made some terrible reads that were unlike him. Handed the ball off in traffic when he had a lane to keep and run....and ran when there was no lane to do so. Having a new OC can lead to issues.....but it was the look on his face that concerned me. Not in control look.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 07:22:21 EDT »

I was comparing Bray's arm and lack of a brain.....\

well we can all agree on that 

I actually was looking at Vols in the NFL, and Bray is still on IR with KC.  Good luck to him....I guess

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 08:09:31 EDT »

I would agree 100% with this. Something was wrong with him....more so the 2nd half. If you looked at his facial expressions they weren't good at all. Looked confused....almost like he'd had his bell rung.

He made some terrible reads that were unlike him. Handed the ball off in traffic when he had a lane to keep and run....and ran when there was no lane to do so. Having a new OC can lead to issues.....but it was the look on his face that concerned me. Not in control look.
someone on another board indicated he might have hit a helmet with his throwing hand late in the first half.  If so, might explain the wounded duck he threw before halftime that should have been picked as well as the poor passing in general in the 2nd half.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2015, 07:55:48 EDT »

someone on another board indicated he might have hit a helmet with his throwing hand late in the first half.  If so, might explain the wounded duck he threw before halftime that should have been picked as well as the poor passing in general in the 2nd half.

If so, let's hope it was temporary

If it is temporary, that would almost be good news in a way

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: