VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 07:00:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another meltdown for the basketball Vols  (Read 4593 times)
Creek Walker
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:07:24 EST »

Tennessee blows a 15-point second half lead at Alabama, loses by 7. That one hurts. Bad. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:25:22 EST »

Tennessee blows a 15-point second half lead at Alabama, loses by 7. That one hurts. Bad. 

It's still a team of ill-fitting puzzle pieces with no talented size and too little experience. Tyndall actually did an admirable job piecing together a roster in the wake of Martin's departure and found some okay talent, but it's not a tournament roster and probably not even an NIT roster. Barnes has a lot of work to do on the recruiting trail but I think he's close to getting the most out of what's there at the moment.

It's hard to watch-- especially road games-- but we're about what I thought we'd be this year.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 04:59:54 EST »

As Barnes said in his postgame presser.....we quit playing defense the last 6 minutes and stopped competing.

Not having a big and a true PG has hurt us in nut-cutten time this season. We shot way too many 3's last night too.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:31:22 EST »

Just hard to watch basketball. 

And baseball is going to be even harder to watch this year, but I will still watch.  I am a UT fan. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 10:44:50 EST »

Just hard to watch basketball. 

And baseball is going to be even harder to watch this year, but I will still watch.  I am a UT fan. 
I take it you are implying the Vols will be very mediocre. Why is that? Recruits not coming like they used to? Vandy has no problem getting them. BTW..did you ever make it to Omaha when the Vols were in the WS?

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 11:11:07 EST »

I take it you are implying the Vols will be very mediocre. Why is that? Recruits not coming like they used to? Vandy has no problem getting them. BTW..did you ever make it to Omaha when the Vols were in the WS?

UT baseball?  Mediocre? 

Mediocre would be a huge step forward for this program. 

Unless an honest to goodness miracle happens this is a lame duck year for Dave Serrano, who is in the last year of his contract.  Were his son a junior last year instead of this (he will be likely be drafted between rounds 5 and 10 this June) year he most likely would have been gone after last year's dismal showing. 

Let's put it this way - UT finished 12 in the SEC last year, limped in to Hoover and were quickly dispatched in the first game - an elimination game, and they lost their 6 juniors (including about 70% of starter innings pitched, and their closer/starting first baseman and 4 hole hitter) to the draft, and 4 or 5 - exact number escapes me at the moment - of their signing class to pro contracts. 

Going to be a really long year.  If they finish out of the basement it will be a miracle. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 01:18:09 EST »

Serrano has been a major disappointment. I had high hopes for him.

As for the basketball team, I don't disagree with anything Clockwork said, obviously...but what makes this one difficult is that Alabama is even worse than Tennessee.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 01:24:17 EST »

Punter got into foul trouble which didn't help. Best player sitting on the bench is never a good thing.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 04:29:10 EST »

Serrano has been a major disappointment. I had high hopes for him.

Yep. A lot of us are of the same opinion. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 03:10:44 EST »

Yeah, too many turnovers down the stretch and loss of defensive intensity.  It's somewhat similar to the football team early in the season...this team isn't good at finishing.

That is something that can improve and I hope it does.

Having said that, bammer profited from the typical home court officiating and their new coach has them playing much better.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: