VTTW Board Index
April 28, 2024, 02:36:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumor is the Braves will use tomorrow's off day...  (Read 1856 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2016, 12:01:26 EDT »

....to fire Fredi Gonzalez.  And even if it doesn't happen tomorrow, it's going to happen very soon.

Don't get me wrong- I'm no fan of the guy, and I think this is long overdue.  But if you didn't fire him 3 years ago, when he was bombing out with a playoff-caliber roster, then why now?  He's been handed a historically bad team this year, and he'd done nothing more than live down to expectations. 

At any rate, look for an interim manager to take over for the rest of this season, and then maybe Bud Black in 2017.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:48:16 EDT »

Love him or hate him, it's hardly fair to gut the team and then fire him because they aren't successful. But I guess they figure that it's better to fire him now than later when they get deeper into the rebuilding. People would probably say that he wasn't given a chance with the "new" team. Either way, they will take some heat as a result of waiting to make the change.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 02:40:40 EDT »

Love him or hate him, it's hardly fair to gut the team and then fire him because they aren't successful. But I guess they figure that it's better to fire him now than later when they get deeper into the rebuilding. People would probably say that he wasn't given a chance with the "new" team. Either way, they will take some heat as a result of waiting to make the change.

This would be a move just to placate the restless portion of the fanbase.  If you read the comment section of AJC or ESPN articles, it's clear that there is a large portion of the fanbase that is completely oblivious to what is going on in the minors, and just want to see heads roll, from the GM on down. 

Fredi may be getting a raw deal if you only base it on this season, but whatever.  I wasn't onboard with his hiring in the first place, and I was DEFINITELY ready to see him go when he left Kimbrel in the pen against the Dodgers in the playoffs a few years ago. 

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 04:17:41 EDT »

All things being equal, which of course they are not, I'd rather fire the owners and replace them.  It's hardly Gonzo's fault that the Braves aren't competing in major league baseball with a AA/AAA level roster. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 05:15:09 EDT »

All things being equal, which of course they are not, I'd rather fire the owners and replace them.  It's hardly Gonzo's fault that the Braves aren't competing in major league baseball with a AA/AAA level roster. 

That's the problem.  Nobody really knows who the "owner" is.  Liberty Media, whatever the hell that is.  I wish MLB would follow the NFL's lead and not allow corporate ownership.  It's so much easier when the buck stops with one guy.  FWIW, I did see a report that they may soon consider selling the team, but that was over a year ago. 

Still, I'm onboard with the moves that Hart/Copolella have made the past couple years.  It was clear that the roster as constructed (circa 2014) was good enough to beat up on the back end of everyone's rotations and maybe sneak into the postseason, but they weren't going far once they got there.  They didn't have a true ace in the rotation, and the lineup struck out way too often.  With a limited budget and a farm system ranked at the very bottom, they really had no choice but to blow it up and start from scratch.  And now the farm system is ranked at or near the top, and it's only going to get better with this year's (and next year's) draft and international signees.  Now at least we have some hope for the future.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: